Active Now

Malizz
Danilo_G
Spunky
Discussion » Questions » Life and Society » Should Genius be given special treatment, more wiggle room, less restricitons than "average" folks? Why?

Should Genius be given special treatment, more wiggle room, less restricitons than "average" folks? Why?

Some are eccentric/difficult/demanding and are always operating outside the box.  Should they be reigned in and forced to comply with all that society demands from "ordinary" people or should they be given much more leeway to create?

Posted - June 20, 2017

Responses

Define "genius". Loosen the leash a little and see what happens - and go from there. True genius tends to ignore the rules it objects to anyway.
      June 20, 2017 4:09 AM MDT

SUPERIOR INTELLECT. The dictionary defines genius has an IQ 140 or above. Now the potential is there but whether or not that potential is realized is a different issue entirely. We treat the wealthy and the famous far differently than we treat average folks. If you are SOMEBODY people will bow and scrape and prostrate themselves to suck up to you. Is genius any less awesome than wealth/fame?Thank you for your reply. Did I answer your inplied question Sbf?
      June 20, 2017 4:17 AM MDT

no, i think everyone should be treated equal
      June 20, 2017 3:17 PM MDT

• No, genius should not be given special treatment in any way. A superior intellect doesn't equate with being a superior human being. I know a few very intelligent people and some of them don't seem to have a grasp on reality nor do they have any common sense.
      June 21, 2017 5:34 PM MDT

Many years ago we discussed this exact question in my Philosophy class. The class was divided. I have always thought that a genius, being smarter than the rest of us, would need no wiggle room or extra special treatment. Others felt they should be given it because they are so different from thee and me. I haven't changed my mind since then. Thank you for your reply Hezekiah! :)
      June 24, 2017 4:25 AM MDT

Definitely not. If anything, more leniency should be given to the ignorant. That principal is at least applied in the Bible to those that willfully ignore God's laws.

(James 4:16, 17) But now you take pride in your arrogant boasting. All such boasting is wicked. 17 Therefore, if someone knows how to do what is right and yet does not do it, it is a sin for him.
    (John 9:41) Jesus said to them: “If you were blind, you would have no sin. But now you say, ‘We see.’ Your sin remains.”
    (John 15:22) If I had not come and spoken to them, they would have no sin. But now they have no excuse for their sin.
      June 23, 2017 9:23 AM MDT

I agree with thee EXACTLY tex. If they're smarter they don't NEED extra special treatment. Thank you for your thoughtful and helpful reply and Happy Saturday! :)
      June 24, 2017 4:27 AM MDT

Some are totally crazy.  There are a lot of geniuses that are in prison, locked up for good reasons.  They need to be under the same rules as the rest of us.

AT LEAST.   They can be very dangerous people.  They can have a God complex and think they know better than the rest of the world. 

This is not bashing geniuses, but just beware that they are not all supremely gifted in emotional development, or character development either.   Or integrity development.  Or social skills.  

The most dangerous ones, happen to be very good with social skills.  Beware.  Use your inner genius to guide you when confronting any individual.   Look at the actions not the history of awards or anything else they may have on a resume'. 

Look at the Uni-bomber.  He had zero social skills, but he managed to ruin the lives of hundreds just by his intellectual prowess.

Look at Ted Bundy.  I don't know if he was a genius, but he was very mentally developed. 

Look at Trump.  He claims to have an IQ of 156.   He is a genius at lying.  Look at Adolph Hitler and the rest of them.  These were no dummies.  Just nutters.

This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at June 23, 2017 9:36 AM MDT
      June 23, 2017 9:34 AM MDT

If Trump's IQ is 156, I consider that unrefuted evidence that humans can use only 10% of our brains---which means his "practical" intelligence can be rounded up to an IQ of 16.
      June 23, 2017 12:33 PM MDT

As I related to another respondent on this thread we discussed this exact question many decades ago in my philosophy class. The students were divided. I think superior intellect needs nothing special since they're already smarter than the rest of us Others students said they did. Thank you for your thoughtful reply Shar and the graphic. This post was edited by RosieG at June 24, 2017 4:31 AM MDT
      June 24, 2017 4:30 AM MDT

Trump's "IQ of 156" is on a par with most of his other pronouncements. It's a LIE.
      June 24, 2017 5:21 PM MDT

Superior intellects should of course be given special treatment---and so should inferior intellects---but for different reasons.

The former for their potential ability to contribute to society, the latter for the potential damage they can cause.

And of course, the greatest potential for damage occurs when a superior intellect is guilty of consequent ignorance (lack of knowledge he is expected to have).

And if Trump really has a superior intellect, you are very likely to see exactly what I am talking about---if for some reason you have already missed what's happened already.
      June 23, 2017 12:47 PM MDT

Thank you for your reply tom. I disagree with thee. Genius needs no special wiggle room in my opinion. A  genius is already smarter than the rest of us and should know exceedingly well how to cope with things. They don't need special treatment. They already have an advantage that can't be purchased. As regards my missing what's happened already vis a vis Trump? I guess you haven't hung out enough here to be aware of all the questions I've asked regarding "what's happened already". No worries.
      June 24, 2017 4:34 AM MDT