Discussion » Questions » Computers and the Internet » How do social sites, such as answerMug measure their success?

How do social sites, such as answerMug measure their success?

Posted - June 20, 2017

Responses

The only persont that can answer that one is Just Asking.    I wouldn't know.  It works for me.  There is not that many people on it, but there seems to be enough of us, even with those coming and going, to keep it alive. 
      June 20, 2017 6:58 AM MDT

Which persont might that be. ;D
      July 21, 2017 1:01 PM MDT

I refuse to change that mistaket.   If I spelled it that way, then it must be the correct spelling.

July 21, 2017 1:03 PM MDT

You misspelled a word? I didnt even notice. Paranoid much Sharr to the Rona?
      July 21, 2017 1:06 PM MDT

Success is inversely proportional to the number of political discussions.
      June 20, 2017 7:06 AM MDT

• Hmmm ... well put 

June 20, 2017 7:11 AM MDT

By whether or not they meet their revenue goal. That goal will vary from site to site. It may mean just enough to break even or it may be a substantial amount.
      June 20, 2017 7:44 AM MDT

Jane, OH YEAH!   That is right!   I didn't even remember to think of that.
      June 20, 2017 7:47 AM MDT

The revenue goal is derived from advertising income.  I believe advertising income is derived from the number of people who join and the frequency with which they ask and answer questions. 

June 20, 2017 2:03 PM MDT

maybe on how active people are on it
      June 20, 2017 2:57 PM MDT

every website is hard to create..... the best challenge is to code everything by yourself..... 

i think it must be fun after hard time of coding, to have your idea be there..... 

i think money is made by ads... when people loads ads, but it must not be a big thing.

even facebook is all free, so how do they make money
      June 20, 2017 3:46 PM MDT

It depends on the site. I love reading about the motivations behind site creators. There are lots of interviews out there with the creators of Answerbag and Experience Project. It's my understanding that AB's primary goal was to be a huge searchable database of information. From that respect, I bet its creator thought it was a success when AB was at its prime. When Demand Media took it, they undoubtedly cared primarily for financial gain. It was a flop, so they canned it. With EP, the owner created it to be a support site. I'm sure he probably felt it was successful too. It also got sold to an entity that was concerned with revenue. Goodbye, EP. Mind you, I have no insider information on either of those sites. I only know what has been publicly published and base my hypothesis on that.

It's my belief that each site has a heart and a purpose. When the site is in the hands of a non-corporate entity (typically the original creator), success is generally measured in whether the site is fulfilling its purpose. When it goes corporate, it usually becomes about profit.

If you want to know how I measure success, it's in the level of respect and tolerance I see. My only goal is to have a venue where people are comfortable and free to talk without fear of personal attacks. I don't care if there are five million people here or five. I don't care if the site turns a profit. If ideas are being shared and people are decent to each other, that's success to me.
      June 20, 2017 4:15 PM MDT

I thought you would say something like that!
      June 23, 2017 9:21 AM MDT