Discussion » Questions » Politics » Should we retaliate for Otto Warmbier's death? How?

Should we retaliate for Otto Warmbier's death? How?

What can we do since three other Americans are in custody in North Korea?

Posted - June 21, 2017

Responses

Go ahead if you like - knock yourself out. But speak for yourself, not "we".
      June 21, 2017 10:50 PM MDT

Are you succeeding from the Union?  More sanctions against companies and countries doing business with North Korea is already on the table.
      June 22, 2017 5:33 PM MDT

The word is SECEDING. And sanctions ARE on the table.

Succeeding from the union, lol! Consulting a dictionary would help you SUCCEED with proper grammar and spelling.
    This post was edited by Stu Spelling Bee at June 22, 2017 6:47 PM MDT
      June 22, 2017 6:41 PM MDT

You knew what I meant.  I succceedddddeeddd in conveyinggg the ideaaa.
      June 22, 2017 7:00 PM MDT

Just trying to help you sound like an intelligent person.
      June 23, 2017 12:33 AM MDT

Be nice Stub.
      June 23, 2017 3:24 PM MDT

I was being nice - I chose my words very carefully.
      June 23, 2017 4:33 PM MDT

send that basketball player, what's his name?
    isn't he over there?
    maybe you could meet him there and get locked up too? LOL
    not much anyone can do though...
      June 21, 2017 11:09 PM MDT

Here's an interesting thought. Arizona has toyed with the idea of banning hiking when we have extreme heat warnings. Fines would be issued for those who decide to hike anyway. And, they've looked into making the people who go out and hike and require medical/ emergency transport pay for the services rendered. Same thing goes for those who drive into marked flash flood zones. I'm in favor of those laws because people who go out and do things like hike when it's 115 out and take their cars through standing water when their cars can't make it through know the danger of what they're doing, and they put rescue workers at risk, plus the state/ city/ county winds up with expensive tabs when rescue workers have to go in.

The US already warns its citizens not to go to North Korea: https://travel.state.gov/content/passports/en/alertswarnings/north-korea-travel-warning.html "The Department of State strongly warns U.S. citizens not to travel to North Korea/the Democratic People’s Republic of Korea (DPRK). U.S. citizens in the DPRK are at serious risk of arrest and long-term detention under North Korea’s system of law enforcement. This system imposes unduly harsh sentences for actions that would not be considered crimes in the United States and threatens U.S. citizen detainees with being treated in accordance with “wartime law of the DPRK.” Since the United States does not maintain diplomatic or consular relations with North Korea, the U.S. government has no means to provide normal consular services to U.S. citizens in North Korea."

Again, what happened to this guy was wrong, but he knew the dangers going into North Korea. And, on top of this, he allegedly stole. If this is true, he's no different than the hikers or drivers I mentioned above. The only difference is that it's human hands causing the damage and not nature.

That's not to say he deserved it. He didn't. But, if you're talking war-like repercussions for North Korea, then it will keep going. We're already at odds over the nukes. As far as I'm concerned, they shouldn't be getting aid from any country and they shouldn't be trading with any country, based on their attitude as-is. So, by all means, maybe the US should step back and let them deal on their own as a consequence for their actions. Perhaps a formal request for all Americans to be returned is in order if it hasn't been done already. Aside from that, I think we need to stay the heck out of there and people need to stop traveling there too. Even if we sent a rescue team in for the others, we'd be putting more lives at risk. How many lives is one life worth? How many are three worth?

From a humanitarian aspect, maybe they shouldn't be allowed to do this, but where does it end? And, how many resources and lives should the US be willing to sacrifice for it? There will never be a winner in this one.
      June 22, 2017 1:56 AM MDT

I was wondering if there were travel bans or warnings against Americans traveling there. It would seem that traveling there would be dangerous every since Korea split in two. Do you know when the original travel warning was issued? That link was last updated May 9, 2017:

North Korea Travel Warning

LAST UPDATED: MAY 9, 2017

I just read this morning that the poor fellow had been in a coma for over a year.
      June 23, 2017 3:24 PM MDT

Yes, there are travel warnings.  BUT is a death sentence commensurate with the crime?
      June 23, 2017 5:21 PM MDT

What happened to him is horrible. He should not have even been jailed for stealing that propaganda poster, just a fine. He was young and naive to think that he could go somewhere like that and pull a college type prank but the punishment even without ending up in a coma and dying was not justifiable. Very sad. This post was edited by texasescimo at June 26, 2017 7:22 PM MDT
      June 23, 2017 5:48 PM MDT