Active Now

Malizz
Danilo_G
Discussion » Questions » Business » The founder of Whole Foods swore he'd never let Amazon touch his company. Is he a sellout or is there more at play?

The founder of Whole Foods swore he'd never let Amazon touch his company. Is he a sellout or is there more at play?

Posted - June 22, 2017

Responses

I assume he sold high, which is what business is about :-))

Google search show a good price (roughly 30% over the 'then' market price) which is quite high for a commodities stock. Whether the will be able to make it back is doubtful, the way Whole Foods turnover have stalled in the past couple of years.
      June 22, 2017 1:58 AM MDT

I don't think Amazon plans to run it as Whole Foods as we know it. I think it's part of their grocery delivery strategy. They need brick and mortar for distribution. This is part of their bigger strategy- to become the online delivery service for virtually everything.

Traditional business is about profit, but he repeatedly insisted he was in it for the good of people. To sell to a giant after saying that and saying he wouldn't sell to Amazon is against that.
      June 22, 2017 2:02 AM MDT

That makes sense for a 'delivery based' business. The more diverse a product range they can deliver the more synergy effect each product will have on the others. It also gives them more problems though. Food have a quite short shelf life and must be delivered fast, while books are lot more durable ;-))
      June 22, 2017 2:22 AM MDT