Active Now

ENG / LLVF - formerly of AB
Discussion » Questions » Language » We hear/see the word "obsession" and automatically think it's bad. Is it? What GOOD obsession do YOU have of which you're proud? Because?

We hear/see the word "obsession" and automatically think it's bad. Is it? What GOOD obsession do YOU have of which you're proud? Because?

Posted - June 23, 2017

Responses

I guess my obsession if you call it that is to provide as much habitat for wildlife in my backyard as I can. I have all types of wildlife and try to maintain the habitat so they can continue living here.

Government regulations limit what I can do but I push the limits to keep all the wildlife happy.
      June 23, 2017 7:19 AM MDT

I think that is a WONDERFUL obsession Deaves. I do. Why does the Government have to be involved at all? I mean you're trying to save the lives of animals. How can anything you do to facilitate that matter to them or be against the law? I don't get it.  Thank you for your reply and Happy Saturday. It is a very good thing you do. Good for you!  :)
      June 24, 2017 3:38 AM MDT

depends on what youre obsessed about
      June 23, 2017 2:55 PM MDT

True obsession is automatically bad.  No matter what you are obsessed about, it is a form of mental illness. 
    True obsession means you can't stop yourself from thinking/doing something. 

June 23, 2017 3:20 PM MDT

How about devoting as much time as you can in animal shelters taking care of animals that would otherwise die or homeless shelters or homes for abused kids? Different strokes. Thank you for your reply Walt.
      June 24, 2017 3:40 AM MDT

If you are truly obsessed ... and can't stop yourself from doing anything ... no matter how altruistic ... it is still bad, in terms of mental health.

In your examples: If a person is obsessed with taking care of abused animals, they would do so to the detriment of their own health.  (Think of people who have pet "hoards".)

Note that I am making a distinction between true obsession, and someone having an activity they may spend a lot of time on.
      June 26, 2017 2:40 PM MDT

Somewhat related to your question because I automatically thought of this when I read your question, I'm happy to admit my love (maybe not quite an obsession, though) of the song
    "Obsession"
    by the group Animotion.

The group is a favorite of mine, too, even though I've only heard two of their albums/CDs.

And I find the main guy in the group handsome.

:)

This post was edited by WelbyQuentin at June 24, 2017 3:41 AM MDT
      June 23, 2017 3:37 PM MDT

Handsome couple. Never heard of them or the song m'dear. Thank you for your reply WQ and the video and Happy Saturday to you! :)
      June 24, 2017 3:41 AM MDT

Happy Day to you, too!
    :)
    Sorry this is late -- it's not Saturday anymore.
      June 26, 2017 6:29 PM MDT