Active Now

Element 99
Danilo_G
Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Life and Society » Seems to me that folks aren't on the fence about anything these days. Where's the "maybe"? How can they be so CERTAIN about everything?

Seems to me that folks aren't on the fence about anything these days. Where's the "maybe"? How can they be so CERTAIN about everything?

Posted - June 23, 2017

Responses

• You're right. I personally never take a stand on anything until I've done the research, investigate the evidence. I question almost everything. After that's done, then and only then will I make a decision. I think that's a large part of the problem today. People just seem to accept something that someone says or does without stepping back and saying whoah, wait a minute, I need to investigate this further.
      June 23, 2017 10:57 AM MDT

Precisely! Sometimes your side is wrong and the other side is right. But if you don't really care to know what is true and just robotically automatically accept what is told to you by "your team" then it's easy peasy breezy. Thinking/researching/analyzing/investigating is hard work. It's easier just to accept the words on the script and not question it. Sadly. Thank you for your reply Hezekiah and Happy Saturday! :)
      June 24, 2017 3:53 AM MDT

I am not certain about anything.   I am certain that in order to answer a question correctly, the less generalizing and the more specific it is, the better answer you will get.
      June 23, 2017 11:05 AM MDT

Thank you for your reply.
      June 24, 2017 3:54 AM MDT

Everyone is waiting for Trump to "make America great again".  (America has been great for over 200 years)  Those people on the fence should grab a paint brush and start painting the fence. 
      June 23, 2017 12:08 PM MDT

Now that's what I call a creative/innovative/thoughtful answer bh! I agree with thee! Good job m'dear! Thank you for your reply and Happy Saturday!  :)
      June 24, 2017 3:55 AM MDT

Well, Aristotle said that the human mind was a machine for coming to conclusions---so maybe that's not such a bad thing.

On the other hand, you have seen a lot of answers lately which start with the word "depends."

And in a sense, this answer of mine is technically a "maybe" in itself.
      June 23, 2017 12:10 PM MDT

I ignore those replies because they are worthless UNLESS the "it depends" folks give me specific examples of what they mean. Otherwise ? Fuggeddaboutit! We humans NEED to make sense of our world. We see things that are puzzling/mysterious/ambiguous/confusing and try to figure out the why. Sometimes or maybe even oftentimes the "why" of today changes to something else tomorrow as more information is revealed. It's a tipsy topsy world for sure. Most of it doesn't make sense to me which is why I keep asking questions. I appreciate those of you who keep trying to come up with answers. Thank you for your reply tom! :)
      June 24, 2017 3:58 AM MDT

maybe they think they know for sure when they dont
      June 23, 2017 2:53 PM MDT