Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » In Huntington Beach, California 511 surfers paddled out together breaking the Guinness World Record. Do you surf??

In Huntington Beach, California 511 surfers paddled out together breaking the Guinness World Record. Do you surf??

The reason they did it was to attract the attention of the Olympic Committee and show that Huntington Beach would be the perfect venue for the Olympic Summer Games of 2024.  Have  you ever participated in any sporting event as massive as that?

Posted - June 23, 2017

Responses

I do not.  I have a roommate who does. 

I sure as hell hope that does not attract the Olympics.  I don't even want to think of that monstrosity coming and wrecking Huntington.   I mean what the hell for?  MONEY?

The surfers sure are not going to get any.  And the beach front will be a mess if it is anything like past history.   Fast cash, and a big mess to clean up and who profits?  TRUMP? 

Sports-related costs for the Summer Games since 1960 is on average USD 5.2 billion and for the Winter Games USD 3.1 billion.

Severe cost overruns made the 2014 Winter Olympics the most expensive Olympics in history; with Russian politician Boris Nemtsov citing allegations of corruption among government officials,[1] and Allison Stewart of the Saïd Business School at Oxford citing tight relationships between the government and construction firms.[2] While originally budgeted at US$12 billion, various factors caused the budget to expand to US$51 billion, surpassing the estimated $44 billion cost of the 2008 Summer Olympics in Beijing, making Sochi the most expensive Olympics in history.

The table below is listing the not so hard costs of the Games. Due to the multitude of reporting methods, the table contains both the operating costs and total final costs (which include various infrastructure upgrades and security costs), known and not estimated. Net loss or gain are measured against the operating budgets. Intangible costs (such as to the environment and society) and not so total benefits (through tourism) are not included here. This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at June 24, 2017 3:18 AM MDT
      June 23, 2017 9:00 AM MDT

Thank you for your thoughtful, useful, helpful and informative reply Shar. Where does one surf in Arizona? For someone(your roomie) who lived at the beach and loves to surf I wonder how the transition is to an oceanless place unless Arizona has Surf Parks to beat the heat. Not the same as looking out at the ocean and seeing the horizon in the distance or seeing the sun make diamonds on the water.
      June 24, 2017 3:20 AM MDT

• Nope, never tried. That's one California pastime that I don't seem to be interested in doing. Fun to watch, though. 
      June 23, 2017 11:13 AM MDT

I agree. Fun to watch. Thank you for your reply NevanB and Happy Saturday to thee! :)
      June 24, 2017 3:21 AM MDT

The only surfing I do is with The Trashmen,  a musical group best known for their version of a wacky song from the 60's called 'Surfin' Bird'. 
      June 23, 2017 11:36 AM MDT

Never heard of that group bh but then I've never heard of a lotta muscial groups.  Thank you for your reply and Happy Saturday.  Didn't the Beach Boys have  song about surfin'? :)
      June 24, 2017 3:23 AM MDT

no, i cant even keep my balance on a bike
      June 23, 2017 2:43 PM MDT

I've been on a surfboard once. The nose was waterlogged, there was some term for it, don't remember.  I guess these idiots thought it would be funny to send me out on the board.  
    When the nose went in and the back flipped up it was a wonder I wasn't hurt.  Jerks.

June 23, 2017 7:13 PM MDT

That was mean. Shame on them! Glad you weren't hurt Star though your feelings probably were. Some folks are just not very nice. Thank you for your reply and Happy Saturday. I went Boogie Boarding once with my son when he was 12! I had fun doing that but surfing? There is no way I could even try it. Not even once. It's fun to watch the experts surf though. Scary too but they don't seem to be daunted! :)
      June 24, 2017 3:25 AM MDT