Active Now

Chief Ten Beers

Why Miracles ?

It is generally acknowledged that miracles happen. Most people think they come from the god they believe in. So far it all makes sense.

But why do miracles happen? Why are they a needful thing for God to make ? Was he less than competent in creating a universe where thing would go as he wished ?

Or is it a kind of nepotism. Protecting the people he approve of from calamities that hit most everyone else (like the Flood of Noah), Divine selection.

Or, Or, Or, ... ?

There must be some reason why God break the rules he made himself about how the universe runs.

Of course, it could be that there really are no rules. That every time a 'natural law' is observed what we are really seeing a lot of miraculous maintnance adjustments he does to fool us into thinking there are rules. Should we maybe feel guilty for inventing cell phones and TV and Automobiles that require God (well, more likely his angels) to intercede with miracles in order to make sure every cell phone call can get though. that every car engine can work, that ...?

Please explain :-)

Posted - June 24, 2017

Responses

A lot of questions. See if any of this helps?

https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/2012562?q=%22Are+Miracles+Really+Possible%22&p=par
    Are Miracles Really Possible?—Three Common Objections

https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/2005120

WHY CERTAIN MIRACLES NO LONGER OCCUR

Various kinds of miracles are mentioned in the Bible. (Exodus 7:19-21; 1 Kings 17:1-7;18:22-38; 2 Kings 5:1-14; Matthew 8:24-27; Luke 17:11-19; John 2:1-11; 9:1-7) Many of these miracles served to identify Jesus as the Messiah, and they proved that he had God’s backing. Jesus’ early followers displayed miraculous gifts, such as speaking in tongues and discernment of inspired utterances. (Acts 2:5-12; 1 Corinthians 12:28-31) Such miraculous gifts were useful for the Christian congregation during its infancy. How so?

Well, copies of the Scriptures were few. Usually, only the rich possessed scrolls or books of any sort. In pagan lands, there was no knowledge of the Bible or of its Author, Jehovah. Christian teaching had to be conveyed by word of mouth. The miraculous gifts were useful in showing that God was using the Christian congregation.

But Paul explained that these gifts would pass away once they were no longer needed. “Whether there are gifts of prophesying, they will be done away with; whether there are tongues, they will cease; whether there is knowledge, it will be done away with. For we have partial knowledge and we prophesy partially; but when that which is complete arrives, that which is partial will be done away with.”—1 Corinthians 13:8-10.

Today, people have access to Bibles, as well as concordances and encyclopedias. Over six million trained Christians are assisting others to gain divine knowledge based on the Bible. Thus, miracles are no longer necessary to attest to Jesus Christ as God’s appointed Deliverer or to provide proof that Jehovah is backing his servants.

June 24, 2017 7:00 AM MDT

• You would have to first support your premise about miracles happening.  And even before that define, "miracle".   What appears as a miracle may be just a limit of understanding.  And of course the miracles proclaimed in the Bible or claimed by current evangelists may well be fabrications.
      June 24, 2017 8:42 AM MDT

God allows a tsunami to kill 250,000 people and one person survives and claims 'God reached out and saved me!' Isn't that a miracle..?

Miraculous healiny; spontaneous recovery from terminal malady: placebo effect?

Powerful God allows sin , suffering and death because of minor disobedience in Garden of Eden.
    Sorry no miracles of forgiveness this time. This post was edited by Kittigate at July 21, 2017 9:04 PM MDT
      June 24, 2017 11:09 AM MDT

Kittigate.  Of course there are no miracles to those that refuse to see any.  Life itself is one huge miracle.  Think on it.  Everything is amazing and none of us could have brought any of it into existence on our own.  Doesn't that count for anything to you?  Love and the fact that you found it is indeed a miracle.  What holds it together?  Stop using death as a reason for your argument.  Death is small.  Very small.

June 29, 2017 12:08 AM MDT

I got bit by a poisonous snake one time so I asked the snake "how did you get the recipe to make that venom and grow the organ that produces it"? 
    Snake replied "I dunno musta been one of the miraculous gifts during creation maybe"?
    Miracle for me to get bitten by a poisonous snake too because there are none around where I live and miraculous that my immune system was able to neutralize the toxin so I am still alive today.  This post was edited by Kittigate at June 29, 2017 3:34 AM MDT
      June 29, 2017 3:23 AM MDT

Having delegated the world we know to the free will of mankind for the time being, I can see where God accepted the request of 250,000 persons to move on, and yet left the one that still had work to do.

Perhaps this indicates that each of has a unique connection to the second person of the trinity and our potential reason for existing that we are aware of.  It appears He was intimately involved in our making.  [Through him all things were made; without him nothing was made that has been made. (John 1,3)]

This post was edited by tom jackson at June 29, 2017 12:10 AM MDT
      June 24, 2017 12:18 PM MDT

Tom that is a good answer.  Thanks.  I read it.  Liked it. 
      June 29, 2017 12:09 AM MDT

Thanks.  Not everyone agrees with what I say; but I can usually put forth potential reasonable explanations that may be wrong, but are at least consistent with my overall understanding of reality---both natural and supernatural.

I consider myself an "Independent Contributor"---I seldom explain why I think something anymore; and I never feel the need to defined what I say.  It can stand or fall on its own.

June 29, 2017 1:51 PM MDT

cause god makes them happen
      June 24, 2017 2:54 PM MDT

•  Although English speakers regularly use "miracle" to refer to a broad range of wondrous events, the biblical concept is limited to those not explainable solely by natural processes but which require the direct causal agency of a supernatural being, usually God. These occur throughout all major eras of history but do appear with greater frequency at key periods of God's self-revelation. Why did/does God perform miracles? God performed miracles to the hard-hearted and unbelievers, out of love, compassion, and to prove that He does exist and to prove that He is indeed Creator God. Why did Jesus perform miracles? Out of love, compassion, and to prove that He was who He claimed to be, the Son of the living GOD. I realize that this is a simplified explanation but sometimes simple is the best course.
      June 25, 2017 12:46 PM MDT

1- You say Jesus performed miracles "to prove that He was who He claimed to be, the Son of the living GOD" but according to Romans 8:14

"as many as are led by the spirit of God they are the sons of God" so how do they prove that they are the sons of God?

2- If by asking "Why did Jesus perform miracles?" you're implying that Jesus performed the miracles by his own powers power then what does one make of

a] Acts 2:22 where no less a person than Peter himself  reminds people, saying, "Fellow Israelites, listen to this: Jesus of Nazareth WAS a MAN approved OF GOD among you by miracles and wonders and signs, which GOD DID by him in the midst of you, as you yourselves know." and 

b] John 5:30 where Jesus himself declares, "I can of myself do nothing…"

June 27, 2017 12:04 PM MDT

If you accept a triune God, with the second person of the trinity (the Word) taking on human nature (the hypostatic union), those inconsistencies you are concerned about disappear.
      July 2, 2017 2:29 PM MDT

Which one of these phrases is in the Bible: "triune God", "second person of the trinity", "hypostatic union"

(Colossians 2:8) Look out that no one takes you captive by means of the philosophy and empty deception according to human tradition, according to the elementary things of the world and not according to Christ;
    (Ephesians 5:6) Let no man deceive you with empty words, for because of such things the wrath of God is coming upon the sons of disobedience.
    (Hebrews 13:9) Do not be led astray by various and strange teachings, for it is better for the heart to be strengthened by undeserved kindness than by foods, which do not benefit those occupied with them.
    (John 20:31) But these have been written down so that you may believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God, and because of believing, you may have life by means of his name.
      July 2, 2017 2:49 PM MDT

For that matter, where in the bible is does it say, Jehovah's Witness.  

Abel is old news---Christ is now God's witness.  Are you really trying to equate yourself with Him?

Phrases that warn of the Jehovah's Witnesses from the bible:

Colossians 2:8) Look out that no one takes you captive by means of the philosophy and empty deception according to human tradition, according to the elementary things of the world and not according to Christ;

(Ephesians 5:6) Let no man deceive you with empty words, for because of such things the wrath of God is coming upon the sons of disobedience.

Hebrews 13:9) Do not be led astray by various and strange teachings, for it is better for the heart to be strengthened by undeserved kindness than by foods, which do not benefit those occupied with them.

(John 20:31) But these have been written down so that you may believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God, and because of believing, you may have life by means of his name.

July 3, 2017 12:29 PM MDT

Jehovah's said of his people:
    (Isaiah 43:10) “You are my witnesses,” declares Jehovah, “Yes, my servant whom I have chosen, So that you may know and have faith in me And understand that I am the same One. Before me no God was formed, And after me there has been none.

Quote: [If you accept a triune God, with the second person of the trinity (the Word) taking on human nature (the hypostatic union), those inconsistencies you are concerned about disappear.]
    Which one of these phrases is in the Bible: "triune God", "second person of the trinity", "hypostatic union"
      July 3, 2017 2:24 PM MDT

Honestly, the road which led from Jerusalem to Nicea was scarcely a straight one. The apostles acted as a restraint against apostasy but it was foretold that after their death, apostasy would flourish. 
    (2 Peter 2:2, 3) Furthermore, many will follow their brazen conduct, and because of them the way of the truth will be spoken of abusively. 3 Also, they will greedily exploit you with counterfeit words. But their judgment, decided long ago, is not moving slowly, and their destruction is not sleeping.
    (Acts 20:29, 30) I know that after my going away oppressive wolves will enter in among you and will not treat the flock with tenderness, 30 and from among you yourselves men will rise and speak twisted things to draw away the disciples after themselves.
    (2 Thessalonians 2:7) True, the mystery of this lawlessness is already at work, but only until the one who is right now acting as a restraint is out of the way.
      July 5, 2017 4:32 AM MDT

I happened to reply to Clurt first, but this applies to you as well.

Metaphysics (the philosophy of mind) cannot be grasped using just the intellect; practice or cultivation is required to complement the understanding of their concepts.

Until you realize this and apply it in your life, you level of understanding of what we both read in the bible will most like remain less accurate than mine.
      July 5, 2017 11:57 AM MDT

Don't you see that the scriptures plainly state that knowing the Father, who is the only true God has something to do with everlasting life? Shouldn't you at least read the Bible before claiming that my understanding is less accurate than yours?

(John 17:1-3) Jesus spoke these things, and raising his eyes to heaven, he said: “Father, the hour has come. Glorify your son so that your son may glorify you, 2 just as you have given him authority over all flesh, so that he may give everlasting life to all those whom you have given to him. 3 This means everlasting life, their coming to know you, the only true God, and the one whom you sent, Jesus Christ.
    (1 Corinthians 8:5, 6) For even though there are so-called gods, whether in heaven or on earth, just as there are many “gods” and many “lords,” 6 there is actually to us one God, the Father, from whom all things are and we for him; and there is one Lord, Jesus Christ, through whom all things are and we through him.
    (1 Corinthians 11:3) But I want you to know that the head of every man is the Christ; in turn, the head of a woman is the man; in turn, the head of the Christ is God.
    (1 Timothy 2:5) For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, a man, Christ Jesus,

(1 Timothy 1:3) Just as I encouraged you to stay in Ephʹe·sus when I was about to go to Mac·e·doʹni·a, so I do now, in order for you to command certain ones not to teach different doctrine,
    (1 Corinthians 4:6) Now, brothers, these things I have applied to myself and A·polʹlos for your good, that through us you may learn the rule: “Do not go beyond the things that are written,” so that you may not be puffed up with pride, favoring one against the other.
    (2 Timothy 3:16) All Scripture is inspired of God and beneficial for teaching, for reproving, for setting things straight, for disciplining in righteousness,
      July 5, 2017 2:55 PM MDT

I just said that you can't understand what God is talking about using only your intellect. That's why the Holy Spirit is so important.  It is not possible to accurately understand what God has said without His help.

You continue to deny this.  That's why your arranging of various biblical quotes in an attempt to prove what you think to be true is so ridiculous.
      July 5, 2017 3:04 PM MDT

Where have I denied that holy spirit is important to accurately understand what God has said? You still have to reason on the inspired scriptures to have an understanding. Why do you think that God's holy spirit is teaching you something different than God's spirit led the first century Christians to believe? God's holy spirit is the way in which he does thing, God's finger, so to speak. You should really test what ever spirit you think is leading you. It shouldn't reveal something different to you than it did to Christians in the first century.

(Acts 17:2) So according to Paul’s custom he went inside to them, and for three sabbaths he reasoned with them from the Scriptures,
    (John 17:17) Sanctify them by means of the truth; your word is truth.
    (2 Peter 1:20, 21) For you know this first, that no prophecy of Scripture springs from any private interpretation. 21 For prophecy was at no time brought by man’s will, but men spoke from God as they were moved by holy spirit.

(Matthew 12:28) But if it is by means of God’s spirit that I expel the demons, the Kingdom of God has really overtaken you.
    (Luke 11:20)

(1 Timothy 4:1-3) However, the inspired word clearly says that in later times some will fall away from the faith, paying attention to misleading inspired statements and teachings of demons, 2 by means of the hypocrisy of men who speak lies, whose conscience is seared as with a branding iron. 3 They forbid marriage and command people to abstain from foods that God created to be partaken of with thanksgiving by those who have faith and accurately know the truth.
    (1 John 4:1) Beloved ones, do not believe every inspired statement, but test the inspired statements to see whether they originate with God, for many false prophets have gone out into the world.
      July 5, 2017 3:15 PM MDT

The Holy Spirit is God.  I have no idea what holy spirit you are talking about---is it one of your ancestors you think highly of?

Since we cannot both be "right" about what we believe, why do you keep quoting scriptures to me?  No matter how many times you try to demonstrate that 2 + 2 is equal to 5 by posting quotes from the bible, it's not going to change my mind one bit.

And the problem is that simple---most people notice if you put 2 apples in a bag that already contains 2 apples, you have only 4 apples, not 5, after you have combined the apples.

One does not have to study math to understand the number of apples available for dinner.
      July 5, 2017 6:31 PM MDT

Some people have given up cherished traditional teachings after learning what the Bible actually says. 
    (Mark 7:13) Thus you make the word of God invalid by your tradition that you have handed down. And you do many things like this.”

You think that God's spirit is God? Is your finger you?

(Matthew 12:28) But if it is by means of God’s spirit that I expel the demons, the Kingdom of God has really overtaken you.

EDIT: A little more:
    God's spirit, is not a person. The holy spirit having a name, would be like the law having a name. "In the name of the law".
     It is his force by which he does things by, or Gods power in action. Gen 1:2; Micah 3:8; Luke 1:35; Acts 10:38. It can be poured out, you can be anointed with it, you can be baptized with Holy Spirit and power, and you can be filled with it. Acts 10:38,44,45; Mt 3:11; Lk 1:41   It is not unusual for God’s Word to personify things that are not a person. These include wisdom, discernment, sin, death, and undeserved kindness. (Proverbs 8:1–9:6; Romans 5:14, 17, 21; 6:12) Jesus himself said that "wisdom is proved righteous by all its children," or its good results. (Luke 7:35) Clearly, wisdom is not a person that has literal children! Likewise, the holy spirit is not a person simply because in some instances it is personified. Several translations use spirit, wind, and breath interchangeably, such as at Psalms 104:30 and Job 26:13. https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=psalms104:30;job%2026:13;gen7:22;job33:4;&version=NASB;HCSB;NLT;ESV;NCV

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=psalms104:30;job%2026:13;gen7:22;job33:4;&version=49;77;51;47;78
    https://bible.cc/job/26-13.htm https://bible.cc/hosea/13-15.htm 
    NAB Gen1:2  "..while a mighty wind swept over the waters." https://www.usccb.org/bible/genesis/1#01001002-b

This post was edited by texasescimo at July 8, 2017 4:11 AM MDT
      July 5, 2017 7:24 PM MDT

It's honest of you to acknowledge "those inconsistencies"

However, "the hypostatic union" is just a fancy phrase which neither means, nor explains, anything more than the word trinity. No one can explain what the trinity means.

"If you accept a triune God", which Jesus never taught in any Gospel, then you become like all the people in the fable of the emperor's new clothes they "saw" the emperor's new clothes when in reality he had no new clothes on. Similarly, it seems according to your argument that if you put on the trinity glasses all the inconsistencies I quoted in my comments above disappear. 
      July 3, 2017 7:00 PM MDT

Metaphysics (the philosophy of mind) cannot be grasped using just the intellect; practice or cultivation is required to complement the understanding of their concepts.

Until you realize this and apply it in your life, you level of understanding of what we both read in the bible will most like remain less accurate than mine. 
      July 5, 2017 11:55 AM MDT