Active Now

Spunky
Malizz
Zack
Discussion » Questions » Language » "Kill or be killed. Do it to them before they do it to you." Words to live by for some. Not for others. Why?

"Kill or be killed. Do it to them before they do it to you." Words to live by for some. Not for others. Why?

Posted - June 24, 2017

Responses

Christians don't live by that.

(Romans 12:17-21) Return evil for evil to no one. Take into consideration what is fine from the viewpoint of all men. 18 If possible, as far as it depends on you, be peaceable with all men. 19 Do not avenge yourselves, beloved, but yield place to the wrath; for it is written: “‘Vengeance is mine; I will repay,’ says Jehovah.” 20 But “if your enemy is hungry, feed him; if he is thirsty, give him something to drink; for by doing this you will heap fiery coals on his head.” 21 Do not let yourself be conquered by the evil, but keep conquering the evil with the good.

(Matthew 5:44) However, I say to you: Continue to love your enemies and to pray for those who persecute you,
      June 24, 2017 7:10 AM MDT

Apparently, Matthew wasn't on the battlefield in WWI, WWII, The Korean War, the Vietnam War, the Gulf War or any skirmish thereafter.
      June 24, 2017 9:56 AM MDT

LOL
      June 24, 2017 1:59 PM MDT

Yup, wrong time period for Matthew specifically but Jesus words recorded by Matthew apply to all Christians. If all claiming to be Christian had taken those words to heart, at least the WW's wouldn't have happened as they were primarily between 'Christian' nations. 

Interesting quote in relation to WWI:
    [...“Kill Germans—do kill them,” said the bishop of London. And, on the other side, the archbishop of Cologne told Germans: “We command you in the name of God, to fight to the last drop of your blood for the honor and glory of the country.”
    8 So Catholics killed Catholics with the approval of their religious leaders, and Protestants did the same. Clergyman Harry Emerson Fosdick admitted: “Even in our churches we have put the battle flags . . . With one corner of our mouth we have praised the Prince of Peace and with the other we have glorified war.” How do you think God feels about a religion that claims to do his will but glorifies war?...]
      June 24, 2017 3:14 PM MDT

Couldn't they serve their country honorably without being on the battlefield Spunky? I wonder how many Coscientious Objectors there were. :)
      June 25, 2017 6:13 AM MDT

Yes, they could serve their country honorably without being on the battlefield.  There are military Chaplains who don't carry guns and there are conscientious objectors, but today the military is voluntary, so anyone other than Chaplains who enlist could be on the battlefield.
      June 25, 2017 8:21 AM MDT

"So-called" Christians do tex. Not real authentic honorable honest ones of course. Thank you for your reply and Happy Sunday! :)
      June 25, 2017 6:12 AM MDT

I would do anything to protect me and mine. But I don't go looking for trouble.
      June 24, 2017 2:00 PM MDT

Me too neither Lulu'sMom. Thank you for your reply and Happy Sunday! :)
      June 25, 2017 6:14 AM MDT

Ew. Maybe if it was the end of the world. This is why I dont go out much. ;+
      June 24, 2017 2:07 PM MDT

I'm a homebody too cp. Always have been and probably always will be. Thank you for your reply! :)
      June 25, 2017 6:15 AM MDT

i dont believe in killing anyone, id rather they killed me
      June 24, 2017 2:44 PM MDT

Nothing causes wars more than division.   Religious division, tribal division, racial division, political division.

When will they ever learn that divisions cause wars.   The Bush administration and the Reagan administration more than any other administration kept pushing the ideology that GOD is on OUR side.  That is blasphemy to me.  God doesn't take any side.  God created man and man is part of God and the sooner we recognize that and humble ourselves to the truth, the sooner there will be goodwill towards men and peace on earth. 

This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at June 25, 2017 6:15 AM MDT
      June 24, 2017 3:22 PM MDT

Thank you for your very thoughtful reply and the graphic Shar. I appreciate both. :)
      June 25, 2017 6:16 AM MDT