Active Now

Chief Ten Beers
Discussion » Questions » Transportation » Air con... probably THE most useful of all the innovations in cars and driving in the last few decades?

Air con... probably THE most useful of all the innovations in cars and driving in the last few decades?

I just got my car back from repair, (someone else hit it and smashed the drivers mirror badly) and while it was being repaired I had a hire car... I've actually had a lot of hire cars since other people seem to like hitting my car... and the thing is.. lots of these hire cars have all sorts of fancy stuff, automatic lights, buttons you push to start the car rather than keys, etc etc . this latest one folded it's own wing mirrors in when you locked the car... cute.. 

But I was quite happy to get my own car back cos really, I thought, all I need is really good air con :)

Agree?

Posted - June 24, 2017

Responses

ive never heard of them but then i dont drive
      June 24, 2017 1:41 PM MDT

I can understand that... I never learned to drive until i was 44. And if one lived somewhere cold it's possible one might prefer a good heater in the car... but all last week was sooooooo hot here - air con in the car is essential :)
      June 24, 2017 2:27 PM MDT

• Image result for air conditioning in cars history
    History. A company in New York City in the United States first offered installation of air conditioning for cars in 1933. 

Here's an 1950 Plymouth with air conditioning. ....

June 25, 2017 2:32 PM MDT

Well funny enough my son said that a convertible was probably just as good as air con.. but see he wasn't thinking like a girlie... I couldn't have that... my hair would get in my mouth/eyes etc... so air con it's got to be :)
      June 25, 2017 3:19 PM MDT

• Hair in the eyes ... no problem.  Here in California, it would be that and drinking coffee, reading the newspaper while texting your best friend. We've got talent!
      June 26, 2017 12:41 PM MDT