Discussion » Questions » Religion and Spirituality » We have a son/daughter-in-law who are Jehovah's Witnesses. They are good people. I see JW's being attacked here. Why?

We have a son/daughter-in-law who are Jehovah's Witnesses. They are good people. I see JW's being attacked here. Why?

Posted - June 30, 2017

Responses

• I've seen very little of that type of attack, certainly not as much as the nonstop Trump bashing every morning. 
      June 30, 2017 4:37 AM MDT

They avoid politics to the point of even refusing to vote and also refuse to do military service. 
    Suppose the large majority of citizens became JW who would govern the country or defend it?

They claim to be the only true followers of Jesus and like to annoy people by always trying to prove it.

They try to discredit evolutionary theory -as some knowledgeable people say- by using method of intellectual dishonesty. 
      June 30, 2017 4:49 AM MDT

They avoid politics to the point of even refusing to vote and also refuse to do military service.  This is something to criticize them for?  GOOD FOR THEM.  No Trump lovers there.  They don't believe in violence to the point that they refuse to participate.  What is so wrong with integrity? This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at June 30, 2017 3:26 PM MDT
      June 30, 2017 12:58 PM MDT

I don't think they are playing fair in the country where they live. Military forces serve a purpose which they refuse.

They brag about how heroic prisoners endured hardships and tortures in the concentration camps WWII -for what purpose did it serve?
    Men were risking life and limb fighting for their country. This post was edited by Kittigate at July 16, 2017 9:20 AM MDT
      June 30, 2017 3:45 PM MDT

Do you think that they should have been manning the gas chambers and killing everyone like everyone else? 
    You've made similar complaints before. Have you killed very many men who were fighting for their Country but happened to be in a different Country than yourself?
      June 30, 2017 7:42 PM MDT

I imagine they would have refused to do that. If I was a prisoner of war I am sure I would not do that even at gunpoint.

Never served in wartime but to disobey orders to shoot and kill would probably  get myself shot by the commanding officer.
      June 30, 2017 10:40 PM MDT

You're right, Kittigate. In the Viet-Nam war, they'd call it "friendly fire" with no explanation. 
      July 15, 2017 6:11 AM MDT

There is probably no religious group that is more faithful than the Jehovah’s Witnesses at getting their message out. Unfortunately, the message is full of distortions, deceptions, and false doctrine.
      June 30, 2017 5:03 AM MDT

Thank you for your reply antibiotic and Happy Friday! :)
      June 30, 2017 5:43 AM MDT

"the message is full of distortions, deceptions, and false doctrine." ------but some or all of that must be our view about ALL religions, apart from the one we're following. You can challenge them on those though can't you?
      July 2, 2017 3:02 AM MDT

Some people resent when they knock on their doors. 
    Others don't like it when they apply Bible to everyday life. Or use scripture to answer questions. 
    Personally I have no problems with JWs but I don't agree with everything they teach but I also don't agree with everything most churches teach either. 
    If you see any one attacking people here, please send me a link or hit the report button. Thank you. 

This post was edited by my2cents at June 30, 2017 7:43 PM MDT
      June 30, 2017 5:55 AM MDT

Because of the rotten apples in ANY religion that give it a bad name. 

My great grandparents were Jehovah's and you could not find finer people. 

My best friend is a Mormon.  She is the best.   But all people think about is that faction that have multiple wives and marry 13 year olds.  I promise you most Mormons don't do that nonsense.

and so on and so on.    We look at the blemishes in this society, not the do goods.
      June 30, 2017 12:57 PM MDT

I come from a long line of Mormons and am probably related to much of Utah.
    I love my family and they are wonderful people.
    They have a great sense of family and give so much to others.
      June 30, 2017 3:19 PM MDT

cause some people are rude and like to attack others , thats why
      June 30, 2017 2:42 PM MDT

Cause the attacker/attackers were haters?
      June 30, 2017 3:26 PM MDT

We have a son/daughter-in-law who are Jehovah's Witnesses. They are good people. I see JW's being attacked here. Why?

===============================================================================

This is a discussion forum and a very good place and opportunity to exchange and challenge ideas. The more we exchange and challenge ideas, with reason, mutual respect [no personal attacks] and with open minds, the more tremendous will be the benefit for all involved.

People usually resort to personal attacks when they have no reasonable response, feel the discussion is not going their way or feel exasperated. It is better to put a discussion, debate or argument on hold [agree to disagree] before it ends up in personal attacks.

July 2, 2017 3:28 AM MDT

• JWs can be quite annoying. They must knock on doors and try to spread their beliefs. Who wants to hear them? I for one do not. One of my friends chased some away who visited his aunt. He just sat there and soundly refuted everything they said. They soon had enough and left. His aunt is a Christian, and most of them believe JWs are an evil cult whose founders rewrote the Bible for their own nefarious purposes. They claim they are the only people who will go to heaven I have heard. They say their altered Bible is the only true one. The cult is tyrannical. There are many good reasons to abhor it for Christians and others.
      July 2, 2017 1:57 PM MDT

Quote: " One of my friends chased some away who visited his aunt. He just sat there and soundly refuted everything they said. They soon had enough and left. His aunt is a Christian, and most of them believe JWs are an evil cult whose founders rewrote the Bible for their own nefarious purposes."

You must have really been impressed. 
    What religion was his aunt? Have you thought about converting to her religion? What doctrines were they discussing and what verses were they using that 'soundly refuted everything they said'?

EDIT: As an atheist and a communist, I would think that you would be non-biased as far as religion goes but you really don't sound non-biased. This post was edited by texasescimo at July 3, 2017 7:50 AM MDT
      July 3, 2017 7:48 AM MDT

• His aunt is a Baptist. No, he never joined their family religion, and I never will join any. He taught Logic in college and read the Bible since age 4. His family indoctrinated him since birth, but he resisted. he studied world religions. he can logically refute any religions. I am not biased for or against any religion. I do not know religions as nearly well as my friend does, but I know they are swindles. Your perception may be biased. Consider that.
      July 16, 2017 8:59 AM MDT

Let's discuss: [What doctrines were they discussing and what verses were they using that 'soundly refuted everything they said'?] and then I can see if I missed something in my study of the Bible in case I am just biased. Surely a non-biased person as yourself didn't just accept that he refuted everything they said without evidence, right?
      July 16, 2017 9:23 AM MDT

• I have seen him do that on other question & answer forums, e.g. Yahoo Answers, Experience Project, Askville, Answerbag, etc. so I know he can refute them soundly. Seeing him for years on these forums plus being friends on Facebook and Twitter allows me to see him doing such things there. His performance is strong evidence. A man of his extremely high IQ who was reading at age 2 and has college degrees with honors is certainly able to easily best the usual door-knockers. If you cannot realize that, you need to think much more.  You sound biased, not I. It matters little what precise verses were involved when a well-educated genius debates people who are far inferior in education, IQ, etc. Can the 3 stooges debate with Albert Einstein?
      July 16, 2017 9:46 AM MDT

Interesting. I wonder if he is so annoyed by them, why he would have them as friends on his facebook?

Maybe you can get him to answer these questions?

https://answermug.com/forums/topic/18166/how-did-life-begin

https://answermug.com/forums/topic/16538/do-very-many-evolutionist-believe-that-quot-peoples-behavior-p
      July 16, 2017 9:58 AM MDT

• He does not have them as friends on Facebook to my knowledge. He has 230 friends, so I do not know them all. He belongs to some forums there that have atheists and theists debating. Since he is my friend, I am notified of his posts. I see them on Twitter as well. many times, various theists and atheists exchange comments. He does not use Answermug. He is writing and illustrating a book, so he has little time for it. He works 20 hours daily and 7 days weekly. I will try to remember to ask him on Facebook. I have seen him discuss how life began on Yahoo Answers. I cannot see the second question fully now.
      July 16, 2017 10:12 AM MDT

What was your username on answerbag? I remember your style. Didn't you have some Japanese atheist friends?
      July 16, 2017 10:31 AM MDT