Discussion » Questions » Religion and Spirituality » Do you look down on those who follow the tenets of their religion because you don't agree with them?

Do you look down on those who follow the tenets of their religion because you don't agree with them?

Some religions forbid members from participating in politics, voting, joining the military

Some forbid members from dancing or singing or drinking or wearing makeup or seeing movies.

The following religions follow certain rules others don't vis a vis voting.
Amish
Anabaptist
Hutterines
Mennonites
Dunkwards
Moravians
Separatists
Congregationalists

Posted - June 30, 2017

Responses

• RosieG. No I don't look down on the people who follow the tenets of their religion but I do look down on the religion if it is anti-God and anti-Bible in nature. Of course if a particular religion doesn't believe in the GOD of the Bible or believe in the Bible, then my answer will be irrelevant to them. I can't judge a person's heart, only God can do that. I can only judge a person't actions when they are compared with what the Bible teaches and they are found in direct conflict with Scripture.  And yes, I judge myself quite often.
      June 30, 2017 10:56 AM MDT

Thank you for your very thoughtful reply Hezekiah and Happy Thursday. You are a Christian. Do you look down on those who are not? Buddhists. Jews. Muslims. Atheists. If so then don't you think that is being unfair to them? If you were raised in a different family with different values and different beliefs would you like to be judged by the you who answered this question? My point is this. It doesn't matter what your religion is if you are a good, kind, honest, honorable person. It also doesn't matter what your religion is if you are a liar, cheat, insulter. Religion doesn't make a person good or bad. In my opinion. If you believe we are all God's children that would include whose whose beliefs are different from yours wouldn't it? Do you think God makes junk? I'm just sayin'. Now I am a Christian but I don't judge people by their religion. I judge based on how polite they are, how kind, how honest, how honorable, how respectful. As far as I can tell. Different strokes of course.
      July 6, 2017 2:42 AM MDT

I dont look down on anyone. 
      June 30, 2017 10:58 AM MDT

I only look down at those that use religion to be mean to others.  Actually, I look down at anyone that is mean, religious reasons or not.
      June 30, 2017 11:09 AM MDT

Agreed. ;)
      June 30, 2017 11:18 AM MDT

I am drawn to those who are polite, kind, respectful, honest. Whether we agree or disagree is irrelevant. Whether they are religious or not is also irrelevant to me. I avoid the folks who seem to enjoy conflict/insult/battle. Thank you for your reply PeaPod and Happy Thursday! :)
      July 6, 2017 2:47 AM MDT

I prefer people who are kind, honest, polite, respectful cp. They don't have to agree with me for me to like  them.  I avoid folks who are unkind/dishonest/impolite/disrespectful. They just aren't my cuppa tea. Now I don't know if that means I look down on them exactly but I sure don't spend my time with them. Thank you for your reply and Happy Thursday! :)
      July 6, 2017 2:45 AM MDT

i dont look down at anyone
      June 30, 2017 1:58 PM MDT

So you look down on those who follow the tenets of their religion because your don't agree with them?

===========================================================

Not agreeing with a person’s religious beliefs is not a good reason to look down on the person.

I think it’s okay to look down upon beliefs [not persons] if you have good reason for doing so. For example, you might have reasons for not liking a belief that forbids blood transfusion or organ transplant or abortion or questioning religious leaders or investigating interpretations. But you should open your reasons to challenge, because they could be weak.

If you look in your scripture or guide book you might find the equivalent of HQ HQ 49:11 which says:

"O you who believe! No group of men shall look down upon another group of men: It may well be that they [those they look down upon] are better than them; and neither shall one group of women do that to another: It may well be that they [those they look down upon] are better than them. And neither shall you defame one another, nor insult one another by using [undesirable] nicknames/labels: Evil is all [unfounded] accusation of iniquity after [one has been ennobled by] faith; and they who [become guilty thereof and] do not acknowledge it as wrong and cease - it is they who are the oppressors"

July 2, 2017 5:06 AM MDT

Thank you for your thoughtful answer CLURT and Happy Thursday! :)
      July 6, 2017 2:48 AM MDT

Not at all. I will talk to anyone regardless of their beliefs. 

(1 Timothy 2:3-7) This is fine and acceptable in the sight of our Savior, God, 4 whose will is that all sorts of people should be saved and come to an accurate knowledge of truth. 5 For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, a man, Christ Jesus, 6 who gave himself a corresponding ransom for all—this is what is to be witnessed to in its own due time. 7 For the purpose of this witness I was appointed a preacher and an apostle—I am telling the truth, I am not lying—a teacher of nations in the matter of faith and truth.
    (2 Timothy 2:25, 26) instructing with mildness those not favorably disposed. Perhaps God may give them repentance leading to an accurate knowledge of truth, 26 and they may come to their senses and escape from the snare of the Devil, seeing that they have been caught alive by him to do his will.
      July 5, 2017 8:27 PM MDT

What's important to me tex is how people treat one another. I prefer folks who are kind, polite, respectful and honest. What their particular beliefs are don't matter to me. I enjoy spending time with them. I avoid those who are the opposite. Some folks are always hostile/combative/impolite because I think they enjoy it. I can't figure out any other reason. Thank you for your thoughtful reply and Happy Thursday! :)
      July 6, 2017 2:50 AM MDT
  • D&D

Wealthy / highly-educated people can still be bigoted, racist, sexist and ageist in their thoughts and actions. Atheists and religious people as well.

I do find it hard to 'connect' to someone who don't share or care about progressive ideas for this world. And they come in many forms. I also have to say that many a times 'culture' or 'religion' suppress progressive thoughts and actions and I therefore cannot support them.

I'd take a rude atheist over a non-thinking Muslim / Christian anyday please if the latter is closed to what I think is moral, right or progressive.

If I take it from religious perspective:
    I'd take Lucifer over Jesus because the Devil had the guts and intelligence to question God. If He didn't we'd just be like many other animals just 'eating and f*cking' in the wild without any awareness (or clothes). The Devil freed us from the shackle of thoughtless obedience and from being sheep taken to the slaughter. This post was edited by D&D at July 6, 2017 3:55 AM MDT
      July 6, 2017 3:46 AM MDT