Active Now

Chief Ten Beers
Discussion » Questions » Finance » Is it true that SAINTLY Pat Robertson is a BILLIONAIRE? Is that seemly for a man of God? How did he get so rich?

Is it true that SAINTLY Pat Robertson is a BILLIONAIRE? Is that seemly for a man of God? How did he get so rich?

Posted - July 1, 2017

Responses

Almost EVERY one of those TV Hawkers for JESUS have huge bucks.

HUGE.  They have no qualms about collections FOR JAYSUS that wind up in almost direct proportion to their bank accounts.

How many scandals have broken about them and yet they continue on and on.   The Devil made them steal.

The Devil made them cheat on their wives with prostitutes and when they confess nationwide they have to be forgiven as they forgive the congregation every time the trespass against the lord.

This is the game they all play.   For the TV-addicted going to heaven if it is not too much trouble, devotees of bullshit.

July 1, 2017 9:35 AM MDT

Geez Louise! How depressing! Thank you for your reply and the very uncute Nun. Betcha she wants to smack the crap outta me for my impertinence.Where is Sally Field when you need her? Happy Saturday Shar! :)
      July 1, 2017 9:41 AM MDT

Thanks, you just tickled our ribs over here, Rosie. 
      July 1, 2017 9:45 AM MDT

Be nice to Mother Angelica. She looked pretty good for a lady in her 90's. She when to be with Jesus on Resurrection Day 2016 at age 92.
      July 2, 2017 3:25 PM MDT

• I suspect this is highly exaggerated. Where did you come up with this notion? Show me any article where this is stated.

I disagree with thee

July 1, 2017 9:39 AM MDT

Heard of Google? Try it. You'll like it.
      July 1, 2017 9:42 AM MDT

• Here's what Mr Google said ...

https://www.beliefnet.com/faiths/christianity/8-richest-pastors-in-america.aspx?p=3#

a far cry from a billionaire ... 

This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at July 2, 2017 3:25 PM MDT
      July 1, 2017 9:45 AM MDT

I used to look at the real estate property logs at the county court house. This guy I never heard of owned  a few hundred homes in my county. I asked the clerk who was this guy?  She said it was a Catholic Bishop. People often donate their homes to the Catholic Church. 
      July 1, 2017 10:56 AM MDT

Headline:   Joel Osteen purchases Catholicism in time for Easter

(I just came across this site while doing so background research on your question.  I'm catholic and I thought this article was hilarious.)

July 1, 2017 11:17 AM MDT

he probably got rich cause of people sending him money
      July 1, 2017 12:58 PM MDT

Hi Rosie. Some sites say that his net worth was/is? only $100,000,000 while others say he is worth an estimated $200,000,000 to 1,000,000,000.
    https://www.google.com/search?q=how+much+money+is+pat+robertson+worth&rlz=1C1GGRV_enUS751US751&oq=ho&aqs=chrome.1.69i57j69i59j69i60l2j69i61j69i59.3841j0j8&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Hopefully he knows better than to have made his fortune off of peddling the word of God but I have a sneaky suspicion that he didn't have a tent making job like the apostle Paul.

“Cure sick people, raise up dead persons, make lepers clean, expel demons. YOU received free, give free.” (Matthew 10:8)
    (2 Corinthians 2:17) [We are;] for we are not peddlers of the word of God as many men are, but as out of sincerity, yes, as sent from God, under God’s view, in company with Christ, we are speaking.
    (1 Peter 5:2) Shepherd the flock of God in YOUR care, not under compulsion, but willingly; neither for love of dishonest gain, but eagerly;

Paid shepherds were unknown in first-century Christianity. The apostle Paul, for example, provided for his own physical needs by means of a secular job—tentmaking. What is more, he reached the people in a very effective way, by teaching them “publicly and from house to house.” A paid clergy class can impose a heavy financial burden on the laity, especially when the former have lavish lifestyles. Christian overseers, on the other hand, care for their financial needs by doing normal secular work, thus setting a good example for others.—Acts 18:1-3; 20:20,21,33, 34; 2 Thessalonians 3:7-10.
    (Acts 18:1-3) After these things he departed from Athens and came to Corinth. 2 And he found a certain Jew named Aq′ui•la, a native of Pon′tus who had recently come from Italy, and Pris•cil′la his wife, because of the fact that Claudius had ordered all the Jews to depart from Rome. So he went to them 3 and on account of being of the same trade he stayed at their home, and they worked, for they were tentmakers by trade.
    (Acts 20:20-21) while I did not hold back from telling YOU any of the things that were profitable nor from teaching YOU publicly and from house to house. 21 But I thoroughly bore witness both to Jews and to Greeks about repentance toward God and faith in our Lord Jesus.
    (Acts 20:33-34) I have coveted no man’s silver or gold or apparel. 34 YOU yourselves know that these hands have attended to the needs of me and of those with me.
    (2 Thessalonians 3:7-10) For YOU yourselves know the way YOU ought to imitate us, because we did not behave disorderly among YOU 8 nor did we eat food from anyone free. To the contrary, by labor and toil night and day we were working so as not to impose an expensive burden upon any one of YOU. 9 Not that we do not have authority, but in order that we might offer ourselves as an example to YOU to imitate us. 10 In fact, also, when we were with YOU, we used to give YOU this order: “If anyone does not want to work, neither let him eat.”

I don’t think that it is wise to preach for money because a clergyman may depend on others for financial support, he might be tempted to dilute the Bible’s message in order to please parishioners. Indeed, the Scriptures foretold that this very thing would occur. “There will be a period of time when they will not put up with the healthful teaching, but, in accord with their own desires, they will accumulate teachers for themselves to have their ears tickled.”—2 Timothy 4:3.

Unless you consider honor as pay or in the case of those traveling away from home to help where the need is great who should have housing, food, and stuff like that provided while they are away. No one in our congregation gets paid. When some travel to other Countries where the need is great, the people who live there provide them with food and covering once they are there but the ones that are staying for quite a while usually end up getting a part time job to help if work is available. Notice the pattern that Paul set for us to follow mentioned in 2Thessalonians 3:8-10. 

(2 Thessalonians 3:8-10) nor did we eat food from anyone free. To the contrary, by labor and toil night and day we were working so as not to impose an expensive burden upon any one of YOU. 9 Not that we do not have authority, but in order that we might offer ourselves as an example to YOU to imitate us. 10 In fact, also, when we were with YOU, we used to give YOU this order: “If anyone does not want to work, neither let him eat.”

Some translations of the Scriptures are obviously worded with a view to helping preachers to get a good salary. It is true that the Bible states: “The workman is worthy of his wages.” (1 Timothy 5:18) But at 1 Timothy 5:17, where it says that older men who preside in a fine way are to be “reckoned worthy of double honor,” the only honor that some of them view as worth mentioning is monetary. (Compare 1 Peter 5:2.) Thus, The New English Bible says that these elders “should be reckoned worthy of a double stipend,” and the Contemporary English Version says that they “deserve to be paid twice as much.”

(1 Thessalonians 2:9) Certainly YOU bear in mind, brothers, our labor and toil. It was with working night and day, so as not to put an expensive burden upon any one of YOU, that we preached the good news of God to YOU.
    (1 Timothy 6:5-6) violent disputes about trifles on the part of men corrupted in mind and despoiled of the truth, thinking that godly devotion is a means of gain. 6 To be sure, it is a means of great gain, [this] godly devotion along with self-sufficiency.
    (Philippians 4:11) Not that I am speaking with regard to being in want, for I have learned, in whatever circumstances I am, to be self-sufficient.
    (1 Timothy 5:17-18) Let the older men who preside in a fine way be reckoned worthy of double honor, especially those who work hard in speaking and teaching. 18 For the scripture says: “You must not muzzle a bull when it threshes out the grain”; also: “The workman is worthy of his wages.”
    (1 Timothy 6:5-8) violent disputes about trifles on the part of men corrupted in mind and despoiled of the truth, thinking that godly devotion is a means of gain. 6 To be sure, it is a means of great gain, [this] godly devotion along with self-sufficiency. 7 For we have brought nothing into the world, and neither can we carry anything out. 8 So, having sustenance and covering, we shall be content with these things.

(Luke 10:7) So stay in that house, eating and drinking the things they provide, for the worker is worthy of his wages. Do not be transferring from house to house.
    (Matthew 10:8-10) Cure sick people, raise up dead persons, make lepers clean, expel demons. YOU received free, give free. 9 Do not procure gold or silver or copper for YOUR girdle purses, 10 or a food pouch for the trip, or two undergarments, or sandals or a staff; for the worker deserves his food.

(1 Corinthians 9:11-18) If we have sown spiritual things to YOU, is it something great if we shall reap things for the flesh from YOU? 12 If other men partake of this authority over YOU, do we not much more so? Nevertheless, we have not made use of this authority, but we are bearing all things, in order that we might not offer any hindrance to the good news about the Christ. 13 Do YOU not know that the men performing sacred duties eat the things of the temple, and those constantly attending at the altar have a portion for themselves with the altar? 14 In this way, too, the Lord ordained for those proclaiming the good news to live by means of the good news. 15 But I have not made use of a single one of these [provisions]. Indeed, I have not written these things that it should become so in my case, for it would be finer for me to die than—no man is going to make my reason for boasting void! 16 If, now, I am declaring the good news, it is no reason for me to boast, for necessity is laid upon me. Really, woe is me if I did not declare the good news! 17 If I perform this willingly, I have a reward; but if I do it against my will, all the same I have a stewardship entrusted to me. 18 What, then, is my reward? That while declaring the good news I may furnish the good news without cost, to the end that I may not abuse my authority in the good news.
    https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=2Thes%203:8-10;1Thes%202:9;2cor%202:17;1Pet5:2;1Tim%206:5-6&version=ESV;HCSB;NKJV;NLT;NASB 
    https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=1Tim%205:17-18;Luke%2010:7;Matt%2010:10;1Cor9:11-18&version=ESV;HCSB;NKJV;NLT;NASB

The following is from an article in a Watchtower dated 8/1/2003:
    “You Received Free, Give Free”
    “YOU received free, give free.” (Matthew 10:8) Jesus issued that instruction to his apostles when he sent them forth to preach the good news. Did the apostles obey this directive? Yes, and they continued to do so even after Jesus departed from the earth.
    For instance, when the former sorcerer Simon saw the miraculous powers possessed by the apostles Peter and John, he offered to pay them to impart that power to him. But Peter rebuked Simon, saying: “May your silver perish with you, because you thought through money to get possession of the free gift of God.”—Acts 8:18-20.
    The apostle Paul displayed a spirit similar to Peter’s. Paul could have allowed himself to be a financial burden to his Christian brothers in Corinth. However, he worked with his own hands to support himself. (Acts 18:1-3) Thus, he could say with confidence that he had preached the good news to the Corinthians “without cost.”—1 Corinthians 4:12; 9:18.
    Sad to say, many who claim to be followers of Christ have not shown the same willingness to “give free.” Indeed, many of the religious leaders in Christendom will “instruct just for a price.” (Micah 3:11) Some religious leaders have even become wealthy from money collected from their flocks. In 1989, one U.S. evangelist was sentenced to a jail term of 45 years. The reason? He had been “defrauding supporters of millions of dollars and using some of the money to buy homes, cars, holidays and even an air-conditioned dog kennel.”—People’s Daily Graphic, October 7, 1989.
    In Ghana, according to the Ghanaian Times of March 31, 1990, a Roman Catholic priest took money that had been collected during one church service and hurled it back at the congregation. “His reason,” says the paper, “was that, as adults, they were expected to contribute in higher denominations.” Not surprisingly, many churches even try to appeal to greed in its members, actively promoting gambling activities and other schemes in order to raise money.
    By way of contrast, Jehovah’s Witnesses endeavor to imitate Jesus and his early disciples. They have no paid clergy. Each Witness is a minister charged with the responsibility of preaching the “good news of the kingdom” to others. (Matthew 24:14) Over six million of them worldwide are therefore engaged in bringing “life’s water” free to the people. (Revelation 22:17) In this way, even those who “have no money” can benefit from the Bible’s message. (Isaiah 55:1) Although their worldwide work is funded by voluntary donations, they never solicit money. As true ministers of God, they are not “peddlers of the word of God,” but they speak “out of sincerity, yes, as sent from God.”—2 Corinthians 2:17.
    Why, though, are Jehovah’s Witnesses willing to help others, doing so at their own expense? What motivates them? Does giving free mean that they do so entirely without reward for their efforts?

The following is from the book called: “Bearing witness to the good news”:
    In the years that followed Pentecost 33 C.E., Christians in Jerusalem suffered many hardships—famine, persecution, and the plundering of their belongings. As a consequence, some of them were in need. (Acts 11:27–12:1; Heb. 10:32-34) Hence, in about 49 C.E. when the elders in Jerusalem directed Paul to concentrate his preaching activities among the Gentiles, they urged him to “keep the poor in mind.” That is just what Paul did by supervising the collection of relief funds in the congregations.—Gal. 2:10.
    In 55 C.E., Paul told the Corinthians: “Just as I gave orders to the congregations of Galatia, do that way also yourselves. Every first day of the week let each of you at his own house set something aside in store as he may be prospering, so that when I arrive collections will not take place then. But when I get there, whatever men you approve of by letters, these I shall send to carry your kind gift to Jerusalem.” (1 Cor. 16:1-3) Shortly thereafter, when Paul wrote his second inspired letter to the Corinthians, he urged them to get their gift ready, and he mentioned that the Macedonians too were contributing.—2 Cor. 8:1–9:15.
    Thus it was that in 56 C.E., representatives of various congregations met with Paul to deliver the proceeds of the collection. Nine men traveling together not only provided a certain degree of security but also shielded Paul from any possible accusation of impropriety in the handling of donated funds. (2 Cor. 8:20) The delivery of these contributions was the main purpose of Paul’s journey to Jerusalem. (Rom. 15:25, 26) Paul later remarked to Governor Felix: “After quite a number of years I arrived to bring gifts of mercy to my nation, and offerings.”—Acts 24:17.

(Romans 15:25-26) But now I am about to journey to Jerusalem to minister to the holy ones. 26 For those in Mac•e•do′ni•a and A•cha′ia have been pleased to share up their things by a contribution to the poor of the holy ones in Jerusalem.
    (1 Corinthians 16:1-3) Now concerning the collection that is for the holy ones, just as I gave orders to the congregations of Ga•la′ti•a, do that way also yourselves. 2 Every first day of the week let each of YOU at his own house set something aside in store as he may be prospering, so that when I arrive collections will not take place then. 3 But when I get there, whatever men YOU approve of by letters, these I shall send to carry YOUR kind gift to Jerusalem.

July 1, 2017 2:17 PM MDT

Nothing wrong with the pastor being paid. In fact the Bible says the pastor should be paid. 

1 Cor 11:-14

11If we have sown spiritual seed among you, is it too much if we reap a material harvest from you12If others have this right of support from you, shouldn’t we have it all the more?

But we did not use this right. On the contrary, we put up with anything rather than hinder the gospel of Christ.

13Don’t you know that those who serve in the temple get their food from the temple, and that those who serve at the altar share in what is offered on the altar? 14In the same way, the Lord has commanded that those who preach the gospel should receive their living from the gospel.

July 2, 2017 6:27 AM MDT

Hi my2cents. What do you make of the rest of what Paul said?
    (1 Corinthians 9:11-14) If we have sown spiritual things among you, is it too much if we reap material support from you? 12 If other men have this rightful claim over you, do we not have it much more so? Nevertheless, we have not made use of this right, but we are enduring all things so that we might not in any way hinder the good news about the Christ. 13 Do you not know that the men performing sacred duties eat the things of the temple, and that those regularly serving at the altar receive a share from the altar? 14 In this way, too, the Lord commanded for those proclaiming the good news to live by means of the good news.
    (1 Corinthians 9:18) What, then, is my reward? That when I declare the good news, I may offer the good news without cost, to avoid abusing my authority in the good news.
    (2 Thessalonians 3:6-12) Now we are giving you instructions, brothers, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, to withdraw from every brother who is walking disorderly and not according to the tradition that you received from us. 7 For you yourselves know how you should imitate us, because we did not behave in a disorderly way among you, 8 nor did we eat anyone’s food free. On the contrary, by labor and toil we were working night and day so as not to impose an expensive burden on any one of you. 9 Not that we do not have authority, but we wanted to offer ourselves as an example for you to imitate. 10 In fact, when we were with you, we used to give you this order: “If anyone does not want to work, neither let him eat.” 11 For we hear that some are walking disorderly among you, not working at all, but meddling with what does not concern them. 12 To such people we give the order and exhortation in the Lord Jesus Christ that they should work quietly and eat food they themselves earn. This post was edited by texasescimo at July 2, 2017 7:14 AM MDT
      July 2, 2017 7:13 AM MDT

Paul knew the people and says he would not have them be able to use it against him that he took payment for his spiritual teachings. v12 says Paul has the right to it.
    So yes, he had his tent making business as well.
    If you go on to read in his 2nd letter to the Church of Corinth, Paul states that he was accepting payment (gifts etc) from other churches during his time teaching in Corinth and it was wrong, he was robbing the other churches.

2 Cor 11:8
    I robbed other churches by accepting their support in order to serve you.

I believe all churches should pay their pastor, as the Bible states. This post was edited by my2cents at July 2, 2017 12:16 PM MDT
      July 2, 2017 10:22 AM MDT

I will try to remember to comment more later but I have to go for now.
    (2 Corinthians 11:7-9) Or did I commit a sin by humbling myself that you might be exalted, because I gladly declared the good news of God to you without cost? 8 Other congregations I deprived by accepting provisions in order to minister to you. 9 Yet, when I was present with you and I fell into need, I did not become a burden on anyone, for the brothers who came from Mac·e·doʹni·a abundantly supplied my needs. Yes, in every way I kept myself from becoming a burden to you and will continue to do so.
      July 2, 2017 11:08 AM MDT

That is in keeping with the original Puritan values the United States was founded upon: If you are successful, then that is a sign God approves and you are going to heaven. Note: this is different than working hard to get into heaven. Puritans did not believe you could buy your way into heaven because of predeterminism. So, they looked for *signs*. Success was a good sign you were getting into heaven. Of course, even they couldn't help but to see that "working hard" was a way to possibly get success -- the "Puritan work ethic". BUT since it was really predetermined, even if you worked hard and failed, that was a sign you were not favored by God. You were litterally damned if you worked hard and failed.

We still have not gotten beyond this in the U.S.A. Hence, if you are poor = you are bad and deserve your lot in life. If you are poor = then you don't deserve health care because you are bad. Poor = bad. Now look at our laws and current discussions STILL taking place right now.
      July 2, 2017 6:36 AM MDT

Some evangelicals believe in "prosperity theology", so they collect lots of money from their followers. They more money they give, the more "blessings" will come to them. The problem is---it is the preachers who get wealthy. 
      July 2, 2017 10:28 AM MDT

• I saw something about some TV evangelists, and many of them are millionaires. I do not recall Pat Robertson's net worth, but Joel Olsteen's is $40,000,000. They are con men who are in the big time. They should be taxed at the very least. Such con games should be illegal. Religions are suppressed in communist nations, e.g. mine.
      July 2, 2017 6:17 PM MDT