Discussion » Questions » Death and Dying » You and I are in a small boat on rough water, you're a better swimmer than I am, there's only one life jacket, no one knows we're out there.

You and I are in a small boat on rough water, you're a better swimmer than I am, there's only one life jacket, no one knows we're out there.

How are my chances?
~

Posted - July 2, 2017

Responses

Which one; the boat, or the life jacket?
    ~
      July 2, 2017 3:22 PM MDT

you'll have a better chance than me cause you will have the boat to keep you afloat
      July 2, 2017 2:35 PM MDT

So you'll have the life jacket?
    ~
      July 2, 2017 3:24 PM MDT

You can have the boat and I will take the PFD and hang on to the boat. In the Navy they teach us how to swim. I guess the Corp doesn't.
      July 2, 2017 3:57 PM MDT

(Corps)

I wonder why no one has yet considered to possibility of both of us staying in the boat.  Hmmmm.

~
      July 2, 2017 6:37 PM MDT

Because Randy, we are so attuned to drama and catastrophe all around us these days, we can't possibly believe you and your friend would actually be o.k.  When was the last time you've seen a boat movie where they hit a rough swell and everything was, well, "swell?"  Even when they do docudramas like "Deadliest Catch," it is always a crisis.  
    It's sad but true.  If everyone is o.k. and having a great time, it doesn't make the news or a TV series.  We feed on drama and the TV.
    Any scenario that has a mere chance of a problem, we assume there is or was one.  It's all in the power of suggestion.  In your case, the power of the written word suggesting the boat capsizes. 

July 2, 2017 8:33 PM MDT

Hi Randy~ There are a few scenarios that could be happening.  It's all in your wording
    A.  You're on a river.  You both can see the shore.  If you can see the people, they can see you.  You didn't notify people you know that you were going on a boat ride.  Those people on shore didn't know you were going out.  Use your horn. Grab attention! Chances are, you will be rescued in no time.
    B.  Grab a plank or part of the boat, assuming it was sinking and attach the life jacket to it.  This way you both can float for a while.
    C.  Just because it is rough water, it doesn't mean it is that deep.  You can be in the surf and get all turned around, upside down and backwards.  Follow the bubbles and stand up!  Walk to the shore.
    D.  You have a radio.  Now is a good time to call for help.  Let someone know you are out there!
    E.  Just because you are a better swimmer doesn't mean your friend cannot swim.  I'm of the strong belief that when in a life threatening situation, we all can swim. Don't panic.  Put the life jacket on your friend and take both of you to shore.  Follow the gulls.  They will help lead you.
    E.  If all else fails, pray that the dolphins are playing somewhere near, grab a fin and hang on!

When you get to shore, call your significant others, and grab a beer.  CHEERS!  You made it!

Where am I during all this?  Of course I am a better swimmer.  I am the barnacle hanging onto the boat.  It's all good with me if the boat sinks or floats. Winks and smiles!

This post was edited by Merlin at July 2, 2017 9:31 PM MDT
      July 2, 2017 4:15 PM MDT

It was his wife that put him in the boat and launched it.
      July 2, 2017 4:27 PM MDT

Very well could be Element. Giggles!  She probably checked the weather report and knew that fact too ;) 
      July 2, 2017 4:56 PM MDT

You think this was all my wife's idea?  No, that can't be.  She stayed ashore this morning smiling and waving at me with two of her friends around her.  They sure were happy about something, they were laughing, maybe it was an inside joke.   Hey, wait a minute!  What were those papers she had me sign just before the boat launched?  Grrrrrrrrrrrr!

~
      July 2, 2017 6:50 PM MDT

I can read her lips!  She said,  "Have a swell time my dear  Bon Voyage!!"

Oh and the pieces of papers?  Did they look anything like these??

Image result for pictures of people signing important life insurance papers
    Image result for pictures of people signing important life insurance papers
    She's one smart cookie that Mrs. RandyD!!  
      July 2, 2017 9:35 PM MDT

LMAO!
      July 2, 2017 5:47 PM MDT

*Randy D thinks: "Gee, this chick talks way too much.  Why did I bring her along in the first place?  Oops, I've 'accidentally' hit her in the head with a heavy wooden club, knocking her overboard, and she spent the whole afternoon drinking.  Wow, that sure is a nasty wound to her head, and look at all that blood.  Maybe it won't attract too many sharks.  Or maybe it will, one can never tell in these waters.  Oh, well, I'll just head back to shore, I guess.  Maybe I can make it to the harbor house by the time they're serving dinner.  La-di-da-di-dum-di-li-di-la-da- . . . "

~
    This post was edited by Randy D at July 3, 2017 3:36 PM MDT
      July 2, 2017 6:46 PM MDT

You and I are not in a small boat and if we were you cand keep your eyes and hands of my water wings.......and they definatly don't need blowing up any bigger thank you...:)p
      July 2, 2017 4:41 PM MDT

YOU again!  Grrrrrrrrr!  Sit down, NJ, and stop wiggling so much, this small boat can't take it!  You're throwing the boat off balance, it can't compensate for the swinging and swaying of your "flotation devices"!

~
      July 2, 2017 6:08 PM MDT

(((Get a grip of yourself Man))))...... On second thoughts ,you'd better not......just deal with the matter in hand first......Hehe....
      July 2, 2017 6:24 PM MDT

You're screwed.

I don't know why everyone here is overthinking this question.
      July 2, 2017 5:48 PM MDT

I wonder why no one has yet considered to possibility of both of us staying in the boat.  Hmmmm.

~
      July 2, 2017 6:38 PM MDT

You know what?  You're not pedalling fast enough.

I'll just jump out and swim to shore before the storm gets here.

You can keep the life vest.
      July 2, 2017 7:38 PM MDT

You can have the life jacket, Randy. I brought it just for you. I know it seems really heavy, but that's just because it's really good quality. Just slip this on and jump overboard. You'll be fine.
      July 3, 2017 5:00 AM MDT

Hey, it's not working! Wait a second . . . what are all these rocks doing in it? I'm being dragged under the water! Jane! Jane, come back! I'm (glub, glub, glub) . . . I'm drowning, come back here with that boat (glub, glub), Jane! Jane S!
    ~
      July 3, 2017 6:36 AM MDT

What? I can't hear you. Just keep swimming while I try to row back to shore.
      July 3, 2017 7:26 AM MDT

Well at least she's going for help. Wait, why is she walking right past the lifeguard tower without even saying anything to them? She's not even looking back at me, it's as if she's forgotten I'm out here treading water!  Now she's headed straight for the parking lot!  Why is she just getting into her car?  What about ME?  Where is she going? (Glub.)
    ~
      July 3, 2017 3:16 PM MDT

• Jane, just remember where he went down so you can retrieve the jacket and make sure his..umm, remains are found.. You know, so there won't be any issues with the will I forged....err... helped him fill out.  Don't wanna have to wait seven years to have him declared... you know, no longer on this side. 
      July 3, 2017 3:30 PM MDT

You have a better chance  since I will put the jacket on you. 
      July 3, 2017 2:46 PM MDT