Active Now

Malizz
Randy D
Discussion » Questions » Religion and Spirituality » Would you like to be baptized like this? Reminds me of water boarding.

Would you like to be baptized like this? Reminds me of water boarding.

Posted - July 8, 2017

Responses

Is it safe for the baby to breath during the ordeal? 

If not, does an infant that young know to hold it's breath?

Would you do that to your baby?

As I said elsewhere, I am under the impression that you can't breath very well in either case, or at least a baby shouldn't try to breath while being dunked and twisted repeatedly. 
      July 10, 2017 3:23 AM MDT

Know what waterboarding is before making silly comments.

This post was edited by antibiotic at July 14, 2017 12:03 PM MDT
      July 10, 2017 4:53 AM MDT

Lets try again. I will number them this time:

1. Is it safe for the baby to breath during the ordeal? 

2. If not, does an infant that young know to hold it's breath?

3. Would you do that to your baby?

As I said elsewhere, I am under the impression that you can't breath very well in either case, or at least a baby shouldn't try to breath while being dunked and twisted repeatedly. 

In relation to your video, do you not see a difference in the way that baby is is being taught as opposed to just being violently flipped and dunked?
      July 10, 2017 5:10 AM MDT

I baptised a young lad once. Slipped in the water and nearly drowned him. 
      July 10, 2017 4:19 AM MDT

" ... being violently flipped and dunked"
    Yeap, sounds like what might have happened with you as an infant. 
    lol
      July 10, 2017 7:13 PM MDT

So then you agree it's not a good thing as I know you don't wan't them to end up like me. lol
      July 10, 2017 7:45 PM MDT

Well, of course it's not a good think. It's quite reckless. Every congregation of faith cultivates and customizes a style of rituals and service,  encouraged and influenced by elders and leaders, to believe it is the proper path to their god. I also agree with you the infant baptism is not necessarily the right thing to do to a spirit, having free will.
      July 11, 2017 4:45 AM MDT

• I do not want to be baptized at all. and this is cruel. Some denominations just sprinkle water on people. I have always been an atheist, so I have no need for such cruel things to be done to me. A person should be old enough to know what is occurring and give consent. I would never s consent.
      July 16, 2017 12:14 PM MDT

To me it seems not so much like waterboarding as like trial by ordeal during the Spanish inquisitions. The idea was if you were a true believer in the Catholic doctrines then the ordeal [having burning coal being placed on the palms of your hands or your head held in a bucket of water] would not harm or traumatise you. So maybe if the babies scream then it's a sign they haven't really believed. :) :) :)
      July 18, 2017 6:09 PM MDT

I didn't know about burning coal but it sounds par for the course for the inquisitions.
      July 19, 2017 11:10 AM MDT