Active Now

Gino LOLobrigida
Discussion » Questions » History » Did you hate history in high school?

Did you hate history in high school?

I hated history in high school, and only loved art and music history after that. Now I like ancient history. So, do you love history now? 

Posted - July 8, 2017

Responses

I loved history. I was never good with the dates or the names- that stuff was all forgotten as soon as the test was taken, but I loved learning and gaining understanding about the general concepts behind things.
      July 8, 2017 6:52 PM MDT

I too loved history for the same reasons..
      July 8, 2017 10:35 PM MDT

HISTORYn. An account mostly false, of events mostly unimportant, which are brought about by rulers mostly knaves, and soldiers mostly fools.

We didn't have a subject called "History" in my school, only "Current Events". Been a loooong time ago though so it was probably the same stuff being presented in that class that you encountered in "History" class . .  . 
      July 8, 2017 7:06 PM MDT

They should keep both and add "civics" to the curriculum. It is deplorable most don't know how the country is run and is perhaps the reason for much of the outrage during last year's election.
      July 8, 2017 7:09 PM MDT

Went over your head, did it? I was implying that I'm so old that there was no history to study back when I was in school. The "Current Events" of those days became the "History" that's being falsely reported now. (Hence my reference to Ambrose Bierce's definition of "History" in the Devil's Dictionary. Remember, history is always written by the victor.)
      July 8, 2017 7:23 PM MDT

No, just so old it wasn't funny. Forgive me for failing to imagine one so ancient. I have heard in Liberal areas, where you might be from, do such "creative" things as eliminating "history" and replacing it with current events. Who would be surprised? This post was edited by O-uknow at July 8, 2017 7:54 PM MDT
      July 8, 2017 7:49 PM MDT

I did not hate history.
    But I pasted the wrong answer here instead of where it is supposed to go.  Oh well.  It's kind of interesting. I'll leave it anyway.

The Zeitgeist (spirit of the age or spirit of the time) is the dominant set of ideals and beliefs that motivate the actions of the members of a society in a particular period in time. For example, the Zeitgeist of modernism motivated the creation of new forms in the fields of architecture, art, and fashion during much of the 20th century. Zeitgeist is a powerful force embedded in the individuals of a society.[1] The German word Zeitgeist, translated literally as "time mind" or "time spirit", is often attributed to the philosopher Georg Hegel, but he never actually used the word. In his works such as Lectures on the Philosophy of History, he uses the phrase der Geist seiner Zeit (the spirit of his time)—for example, "no man can surpass his own time, for the spirit of his time is also his own spirit."[2]

Other philosophers who were associated with such ideas include Herder and Spencer and Voltaire.[1] The concept contrasts with the Great Man theory popularized by Thomas Carlyle, which sees history as the result of the actions of heroes and geniuses.

Hegel believed that art reflected, by its very nature, the culture of the time in which it is created. Culture and art are inextricable because an individual artist is a product of his or her time and therefore brings that culture to any given work of art. Furthermore, he believed that in the modern world it was impossible to produce classical art, which he believed represented a "free and ethical culture", which depended more on the philosophy of art and theory of art, rather than a reflection of the social construct, or Zeitgeist in which a given artist lives.[3]

Contents This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at July 8, 2017 10:35 PM MDT
      July 8, 2017 7:08 PM MDT

• "No" ... I've never spent a lot of time hating anything. Only the "hater" suffers.
      July 8, 2017 7:10 PM MDT

History was always one of my favorites. I liked medieval history the most.
      July 8, 2017 7:11 PM MDT

After English, which was and is first, history was my number two favorite subject in school, and it remains there decades later. I am completely fascinated by the subject. 

~
      July 8, 2017 7:17 PM MDT

• No. I enjoyed it and did very well.  Now algebra I hated.
      July 8, 2017 9:07 PM MDT

Very well written, no errors there.

~
      July 8, 2017 9:17 PM MDT

• I'm trying to make some pun with history and "errors" and "eras" but alas not.
      July 8, 2017 9:21 PM MDT

• I actually liked history class especially American history. I also like government class.
      July 8, 2017 9:26 PM MDT

• I think I sometimes found it tedious, but I always found the information interesting. It was being tested on it that I didn't enjoy so much. But history has always been one of my favorite subjects. Aside from linguistics, history is the main subject that I read about when I read non-fiction.
      July 8, 2017 9:34 PM MDT

I liked history though I was bad at remembering dates and names..
      July 8, 2017 10:36 PM MDT

I neither hated nor loved it. I did what was necessary to get a good grade...remember stuff. I am now fascinated with it.
      July 9, 2017 4:37 AM MDT

I was a failure at math so I had to succeed at something. I enjoyed the history about my state the most. We had lots of history right  where I lived. In fact, British soldiers died in battle directly under the school building where I learned this history! We beat the invading British Army and chased them out during the 'War of 1812'. 
      July 9, 2017 5:54 AM MDT

no, i liked it
      July 9, 2017 5:10 PM MDT

History was my favorite subject in high school. I am especially fascinated with world history as so much of it correlates with bible prophecies. 
      July 9, 2017 10:59 PM MDT

After reading and studying the Bible, I wish that I had been more attentive to history in school. Interesting how Egypt, Assyria, Babylon, Medo-Persia, Greece, Rome and current world governments are mentioned as having an impact on the affairs of God’s people.
      July 10, 2017 6:37 AM MDT

After reading and studying the Bible, I wish that I had been more attentive to history in school. Interesting how Egypt, Assyria, Babylon, Medo-Persia, Greece, Rome and current world governments are mentioned as having an impact on the affairs of God’s people.
      July 10, 2017 6:51 AM MDT