Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Arts » Have you ever wondered what difference the colorizing of old black-and-white photos would make?

Have you ever wondered what difference the colorizing of old black-and-white photos would make?

Here is a BBC News story I saw today.

~ No surprise, I knew the first photo featured was Lewis Powell because I remembered seeing the photo of him before and was struck by his handsomeness. Like I said, no surprise, ha!

EDIT:  6/3/23    If you want to see the short video clip, scroll down to an answer by me and the link works.

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/entertainment-arts-40523826

Posted - July 10, 2017

Responses

Didn't Ted Turner attempt that and it was not well-received?  There is a lot more that is different than just color in the old movies.  The writing is different and the acting is, too. 
      July 10, 2017 7:14 AM MDT

Yeah, you're right, SpunkySenior! I only posted the question without thinking too much about it all. But what I liked about the colorization of still photos was that in a couple of the photos suddenly had a sense of 'timelessness' about them. The Lewis Powell photo at the very beginning of the video especially - - Powell's photo looks like it could have been taken yesterday. But to me his very temporary-to-now hair style makes him look that way. And he looks that way in black-and-white, too.
    And I should mention that one of my current favorite artist photographers works purposely almost completely in black-and-white and I love his stuff.

Anyway, the difference in some of the photos in the news short video was interesting to me.
    :)

And I'm not "for" the colorization of movies at all. I keep imagining Alfred Hitchcock's "Psycho" in color and that wouldn't be so good to me.

Thanks for answering!
      July 10, 2017 7:29 AM MDT

To be honest, I didn't view the video, but I will take your word for it.
      July 10, 2017 8:38 AM MDT

No worries, SpunkySenior!
      July 10, 2017 2:39 PM MDT

Agree completely. not to mention that in the older movies there is actually a story-line rather than it being choc full of special effects.
      July 10, 2017 8:52 AM MDT

Very mixed feelings on this one... I grew up with black and white pictures and films... but at the same time colour does seem to make them more realistic...  I have some favourites that have been colourised and I love them.. it does bring them to life...  Further, I think that for younger generations it can, as I think was suggested, allow younger people to access pictures and films that they would otherwise struggle to identify with. 

I have a colourised pic of my nan and her handsome soldier husband. He was from your side of the pond.  I like the lovely muted colours chosen.. I think that's perhaps key... choose colour wisely when colourising
      July 10, 2017 8:55 AM MDT

Great answer, Adaydreambeliever! I'm with you all the way on everything you said! 

Also, like I mentioned to SpunkySenior, my favorite current photographer artist works completely [I think] in black-and-white pieces. At least, all of the photo pieces on my wall of his are black-and-white.

Yeah, wise color choosing would really be needed - - I would have no idea how to go about that.
      July 10, 2017 2:43 PM MDT

no cause ive never heard of it
      July 10, 2017 1:52 PM MDT

When I read this question, the first thought that jumped into my head was any photo taken by Ansel Adams---and then my mind flashed the "blue screen of death."

(Haven't been able to get your link load yet, but will check it our later.) This post was edited by tom jackson at July 14, 2017 10:24 AM MDT
      July 10, 2017 3:29 PM MDT

Thanks, tom jackson! Yeah, you're right about Adams!
    The video helps in putting my question in context. I'm not referring to colorizing movies or anything --  or classic artists who work in black-and-white. There's a photo at the beginning of the video of Lewis Powell in 1865 - - his hair style looks extremely modern, both in black-and-white and color. I liked both the black-and-white and color versions but Powell is handsome in any color. (Even though he was part of a plot in Abraham Lincoln's assassination.)

I'm only able to Copy-and-Paste the link address to see the video. It's a very short video.

Thanks for answering!
      July 10, 2017 4:23 PM MDT

Oh Tom, if ever anyone was to touch Ansel Adams with color,  I cannot express the ideas that just popped into my head.  Please don't even joke about such a thing.  
    Shivers  just ran up and down my spine.  
      July 14, 2017 10:27 AM MDT

Some noises I just cannot hear; that woman in the video is one of them.  

The answer to your question is no.  I love black and white photography, old and new.
      July 10, 2017 4:09 PM MDT

Sorry her voice was irritating for you but I'm glad you still watched, thanks!
    The main reason I posed the question was the difference in that first photo of Lewis Powell -- it looks to me like it could have been taken yesterday; yes, I guess the image still looks modern to me instead of 1865 whether black-and-white or color but both looked good to me in different ways. His hair style looks modern and he looks like a model.

I, too, like black-and-white photos.

Thanks for answering, Thriftymaid!
    :) This post was edited by WelbyQuentin at July 14, 2017 10:27 AM MDT
      July 10, 2017 4:18 PM MDT

• As a photographer and an artist...I will state succinctly that the practice of colorization of B&W appalls me.
      July 11, 2017 12:03 PM MDT

"Taaa Daaaa!"

I couldn't have said it better myself.
      July 14, 2017 10:28 AM MDT

I was only referring to old photos that,  I guess to me (I may be wrong), from the short video that I had a link to, were mainly "just" photos. (To me, the point of the person in the video seemed to be that she was adding some color to old historical photos to maybe bring more of a we-need-to-remember-this-stuff-can-still-happen-today- and perhaps within our modern  "other-colors-than-black-and-white colors" overload of much of everyday life now, then some of the difficulties of the past might hit us again afresh.
    - But I admit the main reason I posted the question was handsome Lewis Powell featured at the beginning of the video - - I was impressed in the video with the differences that the black-and-white photo of handsome Lewis Powell had in comparison to the colorized version. Yet, both of his images struck me as very modern, probably mainly due to his timelessly-stylish haircut.

Though I obviously did not make it clear in my question since many have addressed the issue, I was not referring to fine art photography artists and filmmakers.

I'm sorry if any of this came across in a negative way. At this point,. if I could withdraw the question I  would.

And I agree with you all the way, Judas Goat. Regardless if I have successfully communicated it. And I don't think I did. Even though i disagree with it, my words seem still to come across as if I think it's all fine and dandy to attack any piece of art out there to do with what one will. I don't think that.

I'm sorry for all my bullsh**-sounding crap.

Thanks for answering, Judas Goat!
      July 14, 2017 1:15 PM MDT

Everything is a unique expression of art.  I embrace all forms of it.

July 11, 2017 12:08 PM MDT

• "Everything is a unique expression of art.  I embrace all forms of it."

Yes...I too embrace all forms. I do not consider taking another persons works and manipulating them to suit your own preference for whatever means a "UNIQUE EXPRESSION OF ART".   I consider it appropriation under the most disingenuous & insidious of agendas
      July 14, 2017 11:46 AM MDT

Yes.

May 9, 2018 8:10 AM MDT

OMG OMG OMG

I ABSOLUTELY HATE colorization of any kind, for any thing, at any time.

WHY MESS IT UP??

my biggest complaint is, who said what color/s something is?  if it's a lady in a dress, and it was changed to green, how the hell do we know that maybe the dress was brown, or red, or purple!!??

It's destroying something that was done and that NOW should be LEFT ALONE.....

unless the person doing the colorizing was there, or has someone with them who was.....DON'T COLORIZE ANYTHING.....
    ANYTHING AT ALL.....

do something else with your time and technology!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I CANNOT STRESS HOW MUCH I TOTALLY DISLIKE THIS MONSTROUS THING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ugh

:(

:(

May 9, 2018 7:52 AM MDT

You state your case well!
      May 9, 2018 8:11 AM MDT

Doing that almost seems like some kind of sacrilege.  Like whoever is doing it has to feel somehow he or she know better than whoever took the photo originally.  When they have no idea. Like years ago they used re-engineer mono recordings for fake stereo cause they thought they could better sell them that way. And what they did t ruin all sorts of old movies by coarsening and cheapening them by adding artificial color.  Which removed all the subtlety there.  If you are going to work on them you should bring out what is already there more clearly and not cover it over with things which are not there. 
      May 9, 2018 8:07 AM MDT

Great points!
      May 9, 2018 8:12 AM MDT

In case anyone sees this/my question from 2017, this link actually works to the short video clip I mention in my question:

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/entertainment-arts-40523826

This post was edited by WelbyQuentin at June 3, 2023 9:45 AM MDT
      June 3, 2023 9:40 AM MDT