Discussion » Questions » Death and Dying » If you caused someone's death would you ever get over it? Could you put it aside and go on with your life as it was? How?

If you caused someone's death would you ever get over it? Could you put it aside and go on with your life as it was? How?

Posted - July 11, 2017

Responses

I'd never get over it, there's no putting it aside, and life would never be the same. But as with any tragedy, one must learn to live with the pain and move forward.  

I suspect this is what Venus Williams is doing, using every ounce of the strength and focus she gained from rising to become a tennis champion.   
      July 11, 2017 6:11 AM MDT

I couldn't do it. Of course I am not a champion tennis player nor am I a champion anything else. It would undo me. For how long and how badly I don't know but I'd never be the same. Thank you for your thoughtful and helpful answer m'dear and Happy Tuesday! :)
      July 11, 2017 6:20 AM MDT

If I caused someone's death, it would be an accident.  Therefore, I would have to deal with it.

July 11, 2017 6:22 AM MDT

That's something I don't think I'd ever get over, even if it was an accident. I still feel bad about accidentally killing a little baby bird as a child, but killing a person would probably send me off the deep end..
      July 11, 2017 6:28 AM MDT

• I suppose this is a situation one cannot really know till it occurs.
      July 11, 2017 7:44 AM MDT

ive never killed anyone by accident but i would feel bad if i did
      July 11, 2017 1:59 PM MDT

Taking a life, especially a human must be a horrific experience. I could never forgive myself. Even if it was not deliberate. 
      July 11, 2017 10:16 PM MDT

It would haunt you forever, I am sure.  But if you did not cause it, how can you think about forgiveness?  You did nothing to forgive.  But, I know what you mean.  I pray it never happens to either one of us.  Or anyone for that matter. 
      July 11, 2017 10:18 PM MDT

Taking a life, especially a human must be a horrific experience. I could never forgive myself. Even if it was not deliberate. 
      July 11, 2017 10:16 PM MDT