Discussion » Questions » Family » Any of you of a "certain age" remember THE TALK from a parent? My mom told me "every no before marriage is a yes after". That was it. Yours?

Any of you of a "certain age" remember THE TALK from a parent? My mom told me "every no before marriage is a yes after". That was it. Yours?

Posted - July 19, 2017

Responses

I never had the talk... my mum was always very open about sex.. 
      July 19, 2017 12:57 PM MDT

Did that ever make you feel uncomfortable Addb? I know families are structured differently. My folks were from "the old country" and became naturalized citizens. There were subjects that were never discussed. Too embarrassing for them. I cannot imagine "the talk" either of them got from their parents. Probably nothing at all. Thank you for your reply and Happy  Thursday! :)
      July 20, 2017 3:50 AM MDT

my mother never had the talk with us
      July 19, 2017 1:40 PM MDT

Yeah---from my mother, while she was sitting next to my father..

And even at the age of 10, I really felt sorry for my dad afterwards.  

(It's always been obvious to me that some beliefs (bible and otherwise) are just plain wrong.)
      July 19, 2017 2:48 PM MDT

Wow! Your dad didn't handle it alone with you man to boy? Well that must have been a very uncomfortable 5 minutes or however long it took. I guess no matter how it's handled most of us turn out okay. We learn "from the streets" so to speak or from friends or from reading up on it. Thank you for your reply tom and Happy Thurdsay. In retrospect I think even those few innocuous words embarrassed my mom. SIGH.  :)
      July 20, 2017 3:53 AM MDT

My dad was a farmer so his talk was "You understand how animals do it, well, humans are also animals so it works the exact same way."  I'm pretty sure those were his exact words.

That was pretty shocking to hear because it was the first time it dawned on me that humans are actually animal life forms.  I went to a Christian school from Kindergarten through 8th grade and in school it was always implied that humans were something other than or separate from animals. This post was edited by Livvie at July 20, 2017 3:53 AM MDT
      July 19, 2017 2:48 PM MDT

Boy your dad had a definite learning aid to use...the life you lived! Sweet. I understand how that would be shocking at first but then really that was all you needed to know. You could watch that part of life in action. Thank you for sharing that with us Liv and Happy Thursday! :)
      July 20, 2017 4:03 AM MDT

Luckily my parents never had that talk with me.
      July 19, 2017 3:03 PM MDT

You and your folks were both spared that traditional ritual. I know there were books on "how to". As kids started asking questions you were supposed to answer them honestly but only give them the info they could handle. As the children grew older the questions would be bolder and you should always answer honestly. Thank you for your reply Pay and Happy  Thursday! :)
      July 20, 2017 4:05 AM MDT

Did your mom's advice turn out to be true?
      July 19, 2017 3:07 PM MDT

Maybe it was true 50 years ago.  Not any more.  Not in this day and age. 
      July 19, 2017 3:08 PM MDT

Mum delegated it to the minister, but I bluffed my way round him and ended up none the wiser. 
      July 19, 2017 3:10 PM MDT

I just chortled at that Malizz! Very funny. Very clever too. Probably at that time you just weren't ready for it. Also by the time some parents get around to it the kids already know all there is to know from friends. One way or the other we all figure it out. Thank you for your reply and Happy Thursday! :)
      July 20, 2017 4:07 AM MDT

Sadly, these days it often, but not always works out to be:
    PARENT: "Son (or Daughter), I want to sit down with you and have a talk about the birds and the bees." 
    CHILD: "Sure Mom "or Dad", what do you want to know?"

Although there was this one girl I went to high school with who said her grandmother told her "don't make the same mistake that I did at your age; go out there and sc*** your brains out!". But grandma was in a nursing home at the time after having suffered a stroke. And besides, psychiatric medications are much better these days.  
      July 19, 2017 3:14 PM MDT

• Mine was about two minutes with my father.  An explanation of a nocturnal emission then, "There are lots of vulgar words like f... and sc...."  The only advice I can give you is, "Never make love  to a woman you wouldn't marry."  "Do you have any questions?"  I had a million question but living in great fear of my fecal father I said, "No."  That was it.  I was left to my own reading to discover the facts of the matter, of misinformation of friends. 
      July 19, 2017 4:34 PM MDT

I think we all have to fill in the blanks even when parents tackle it with the best of intentions. Thank you for your reply whistle and Happy Thursday. Someone we manage to figure it out! :)
      July 20, 2017 4:09 AM MDT