Active Now

Danilo_G
Element 99
Discussion » Questions » Recreation » When and how did you learn how to fish?

When and how did you learn how to fish?

Posted - July 20, 2017

Responses

Early 1960's. I am a self taught worm drowner.
      July 20, 2017 8:37 AM MDT

My step Dad took me fishing a lot
    so it was Dad that taught me.
      July 20, 2017 8:42 AM MDT

i didnt, ive never gone fishing
      July 20, 2017 2:42 PM MDT

I grew up spending much of the Summer at my friend's river cabin.  We learned to fish at a young age, both casting as well as sitting on the pier with a cane pole.  We also learned to water ski and drive a boat way before we were old enough.  I was a little river rat. 
      July 20, 2017 4:15 PM MDT

• I'd say 4ish.  Longer than I really remember.  Father first started taking me.
      July 20, 2017 4:54 PM MDT

In 1980 I got a job on a fishing boat where I worked for three years.  I taught myself to fish from shore.
      July 21, 2017 3:30 PM MDT

• "Eight or nine years old, I guess it was. One of my uncles showed me all about fishing."

There's nothing to it really.

July 28, 2017 6:02 PM MDT

• I was hunting some at age 8, but I never was interested in fishing. My father and I often hunted, but we never went fishing. My father's younger brother often fished, and my brother often joined him at an early age. Once, my brother and I visited our oldest sister, and my first brother-in-law and my brother went to a lake to fish. They invited me to join them. There was an extra fishing pole, so I took it. When we cast in our lines, I caught three catfish quickly, but they never caught any. My brother asked me to trade places with him, and I agreed. At my new spot, I caught catfish faster than at my first spot. When they decided to return home, I had caught many catfish, but they had caught none. Do you believe this was beginner's luck for me to catch so many fish the first time I ever tried it in my life? No, I tried some different approaches that worked well. They could not discover my secrets. My IQ was the highest in my high school's history, so I learn nearly anything incredibly quickly. On my first fishing trip, I beat two men with far more experience. The first time I played a guitar I played chords my brother could not play after years of practice. When I began martial arts, I soon beat a black belt at a bar, and I had a white belt for beginners. Once, after three weeks at a new job, I was supervisor over men who had worked there thirty or more years. 
      August 31, 2017 4:34 PM MDT