Active Now

Danilo_G
Malizz
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » "We want to do what WE think is best for the American people". Said by a GOP pol in defense of REPEAL ONLY. Is that what's best for YOU?

"We want to do what WE think is best for the American people". Said by a GOP pol in defense of REPEAL ONLY. Is that what's best for YOU?

Notice the exact words he used. Not "we want to do what the American people have said they want us to do" but rather "what WE think is best for the American people". If he paid any attentio at all to the Republican town hall meetings and what the Republican constituents told their legislators he would know that what HE thinks is best for us isn't at all what WE think is best for us. When I say "us" I mean Republicans and Democrats alike. We the people. Bipartisan, not partisan. The pols must really think we the people are dumb as mud to think for a moment we buy that line. :(

Posted - July 20, 2017

Responses

• RosieG, I'm going to answer your question but in a matter that may upset some people. Let me start of by saying, health care in a free society is not a function of Government. The Government needs to get out of the health care business and allow the free market to flourish. Health care is not a right. Rights are inherently intangible, health care is a commodity. When the government starts declaring commodities to be a 'human right' they assume redistribution powers that are not afforded to them by Constitution.  Medical care is a commodity, and treating it otherwise is foolhardy. To make a commodity cheaper and better, two elements are necessary: profit incentive and freedom of labor. The government destroys both of these elements in the health-care industry. This "politics as usual" and the "government knows what's best for you" type of asinine rhetoric needs to stop.
      July 20, 2017 7:51 AM MDT

Madison and Hamilton debated the proper extension of the clause in the Constitution to "promote the general welfare."  Whether "health care in a free society is not a function of Government" is also a subject to debate---a debate which I would be more interested in listening to rather than participating in.  

I could learn something.
      July 20, 2017 9:00 AM MDT

dont sound like it
      July 20, 2017 2:34 PM MDT

The U.S. operates under representative democracy. An administration is there to represent the interests of the people as a whole, not the views of the majority. There is a reason why elections only happen every few years. It takes time for policies to succeed or fail and once elected a government needs to be given the chance to lead. People will have chance to pass judgement at the next election.

All governments think they know what's best. That's what government is. One of the writers of Obamacare was so arrogant he even admitted the bill was deliberately written in a nontransparent manner to take advantage of the stupidity of the American voter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UA5XIzIdb5s This post was edited by Zeitgeist at July 21, 2017 7:09 AM MDT
      July 21, 2017 6:25 AM MDT