Active Now

Slartibartfast
Thebigd
Danilo_G
Malizz
Swoop62
Discussion » Questions » Religion and Spirituality » E. 99 wants to know if Jesus was a vegetarian. I couldn't help him there. Do you know?

E. 99 wants to know if Jesus was a vegetarian. I couldn't help him there. Do you know?

Posted - July 23, 2017

Responses

I can't say I knew the man, personally. Sorry. 
      July 23, 2017 11:27 AM MDT

I'm glad you don't follow the fake news and just take history for granted.

I mean who really knows? 
      July 23, 2017 4:48 PM MDT

Bible says Jesus Christ ate fish so no not a vegetarian. 
      July 23, 2017 11:32 AM MDT

It said he multiplied them, I don't know of his eating any.
      July 23, 2017 4:48 PM MDT

Then came the day of Unleavened Bread on which the Passover lamb had to be sacrificed. Jesus sent Peter and John, saying, “Go and make preparations for us to eat the Passover.” (Luke 22:7-8, NIV)

They gave him a piece of broiled fish, 43 and he took it and ate before them. Luke 24:43-43 

July 23, 2017 4:58 PM MDT

He can't be vegetarian if he ate fish. Didn't he eat lamb, too?
      July 23, 2017 2:11 PM MDT

Who told you that?

He multiplied the fish and loaves for the multitude to make sure everyone had something to eat.  He never at any lambs that I know of.

July 23, 2017 4:50 PM MDT

I'm just not too familiar with the whole Jesus story. I know there was something about fish and lamb. I thought he ate it, too..
      July 23, 2017 7:24 PM MDT

You are funny and right.  I mean WHO REALLY DOES KNOW?  LOL
      July 23, 2017 8:11 PM MDT

Yes, He did.
      July 23, 2017 5:00 PM MDT

i have no idea, tell him to ask jesus
      July 23, 2017 3:20 PM MDT

Ask whom?
      July 23, 2017 4:50 PM MDT

lettuce, spinach, beets, kale, radishes, turnips, carrots, artichokes, black cala, leek, onion, garlic, cucumber, watermelon, squash, olives, fish,  mint, cilantro, parsley, marjoram,oregano, grapes, figs, dates, pomegranate, peach, apple, pears, wheat, barley, walnuts, almonds, carob, pistachios, lamb, chicken, beef

These are the foods of which evidence exists of them being available during Jesus' lifetime.  The Bible mentions him eating a few of them. 

https://catholicfoodie.com/cf120-what-would-jesus-eat This post was edited by Thriftymaid at July 23, 2017 6:33 PM MDT
      July 23, 2017 3:58 PM MDT

LAMB too?  I'm turning atheist now.
      July 23, 2017 4:51 PM MDT

The show said these foods were available at the time and place where Jesus lived.  The Bible doesn't list all of those as Jesus diet. 
      July 23, 2017 6:32 PM MDT

He could have eaten meat and fish and the whole shebang.   Taking an animal's life was not the same back then.  Jesus probably did eat meat growing up with those who ate meat.

But, he traveled.  At least the history I study.  He traveled East and into Kashmir.  He studied with the Sages of the East and I will bet anything he gave up meat when he got around those heavy hitters.

July 23, 2017 8:13 PM MDT

Jesus ate the Passover meal, which includes lamb.  I'm not scholarly in what he ate.  And I really had given it little thought before now.  I always assumed he ate fish because he hung out with some fishermen.  This post was edited by Thriftymaid at July 23, 2017 10:47 PM MDT
      July 23, 2017 10:44 PM MDT

I answered earlier but deleted it as I know my scriptural answers often irritate you but thought I would go ahead and chance it.

Jesus, as a faithful Jew, ate meat at least on every Passover.

(Leviticus 7:11-15) “‘Now this is the law of the communion sacrifice that one may present to Jehovah: 12 If he presents it as an expression of thanksgiving, he will present along with the thanksgiving sacrifice unleavened ring-shaped loaves mixed with oil, unleavened wafers spread with oil, and ring-shaped loaves made with fine flour, well-mixed and blended with oil. 13 He will present his offering along with ring-shaped loaves of leavened bread and the thanksgiving sacrifice of his communion sacrifices. 14 He is to present from it one of each offering as a sacred portion to Jehovah; it will belong to the priest who sprinkles the blood of the communion sacrifices. 15 The flesh of the thanksgiving sacrifice of his communion sacrifices is to be eaten on the day he offers it. He must not save any of it until morning.

Part of an article from 1976:

[...
    This distinction between man and animals we find throughout the Scriptures. In fact, from earliest times animals were offered as sacrifices with God’s approval. (Gen. 4:2-5; 8:20, 21) Much slaughtering of animals was involved in the many kinds of sacrifices required under the law of Moses. And did not God require that the Israelites eat meat, lamb or kid, at least once each year at the Passover celebration, not to say anything of their frequent eating of meat when making communion sacrifices? In particular were the priests meat eaters, as they partook of each one’s communion sacrifice. To carry this a step farther, God himself is represented as sharing symbolically in eating flesh in that the portion that was burned on the altar was represented as being his share.—Ex. 12:3-9; 34:25; Lev. 7:11-15.
    In keeping with the foregoing is the example of Jesus Christ, the Son of God. There is no question about his love and compassion for humankind. (Phil. 2:5-8) He revealed God’s will for us and at the same time served as our model. (1 Pet. 2:21) Did he object to the eating of meat? No, for as a faithful Jew he ate meat at least on every Passover. More than that, he had no scruples against catching and eating fish, for on two occasions he caused his disciples to catch a large netful of fish. Also, on two, if not more, occasions he caused a few fish to multiply miraculously so as to feed thousands of men, women and children.—Mark 8:18-20; Luke 5:4-6; John 21:6-11.
    The question of eating meat came up among the early Christians, but not out of compassion for animals. As Jews they had been forbidden to eat certain kinds of meat and it became necessary to show them that they were no longer under the law of Moses in these matters. (Acts 15:19, 20) And there was also the problem of eating meat offered to idols. That worshipers of God were not to be judged on the basis of whether they ate meat or not the apostle Paul makes clear: “One man has faith to eat everything, but the man who is weak eats vegetables. Let the one eating not look down on the one not eating, and let the one not eating not judge the one eating.” Let it be noted that the foregoing Scriptural counsel and examples effectively refute the position of those who, on religious grounds, would object to the eating of meat.—Rom. 14:2, 3.
    ...]
      July 23, 2017 4:46 PM MDT

Cut to the chase, there Tex, did he eat meat or not? 

LOL
      July 23, 2017 4:47 PM MDT

Yup, here's a shorter version:
    Jesus, as a faithful Jew, ate meat at least on every Passover.

(Leviticus 7:15)  "The flesh of the thanksgiving sacrifice of his communion sacrifices is to be eaten on the day he offers it..."

Others have already mentioned fish. Although it doesn't say that he particularly partook, he wasn't opposed as he fed others.
    (Mark 8:18-20) ‘Though having eyes, do you not see; and though having ears, do you not hear?’ Do you not remember 19 when I broke the five loaves for the 5,000 men, how many baskets full of fragments you collected?” They said to him: “Twelve.” 20 “When I broke the seven loaves for the 4,000 men, how many large baskets full of fragments did you take up?” And they said to him: “Seven.”
    (Luke 5:4-6) When he stopped speaking, he said to Simon: “Pull out to where it is deep, and let down your nets for a catch.” 5 But in reply Simon said: “Instructor, we toiled all night and caught nothing, but at your word I will lower the nets.” 6 Well, when they did this, they caught a great number of fish. In fact, their nets began ripping apart.
    (John 21:6-11) He said to them: “Cast the net on the right side of the boat and you will find some.” So they cast it, but they were not able to haul it in because of the large number of fish. 7 Then the disciple whom Jesus loved said to Peter: “It is the Lord!” Now Simon Peter, on hearing that it was the Lord, put on his outer garment, for he was naked, and plunged into the sea. 8 But the other disciples came in the small boat, dragging the net full of fish, for they were not a long way from land, only about 300 feet away. 9 When they came ashore, they saw there a charcoal fire with fish lying on it and bread. 10 Jesus said to them: “Bring some of the fish you just now caught.” 11 So Simon Peter went on board and hauled the net ashore full of big fish, 153 of them. And though there were so many, the net did not burst.
      July 23, 2017 4:52 PM MDT

Ok thank you kind, Tex, much appreciated.

July 23, 2017 4:54 PM MDT

You're welcome!
      July 23, 2017 5:00 PM MDT

You are so nice.  You really are.  At least you talk the talk and walk the walk, unlike many of us who claim to love God but can be real stinkers sometimes.

Anyway, I think a few things about Jesus and the history of Jesus.  I think He grew up around those who ate meat and also partook of meat.   I think he went on to study later on and traveled to the East and learned much from those who were of the Hindu and Zoroastrian  persuasion.  I know that may send hackles up your spine, but the context of what Jesus taught and the Hindu religion are identical.  The meanings behind the parables are identical.  Christ consciousness is identical.  Then the Christians messed up and put GOD up there in heaven instead of in our consciousness where it belongs.  We have a direct conduit to the Source which is God.  We are not separate.  That is where you and I differ.   I know you and I are God and you think He is some Force that you are separate from. 

It was brought to the people of Rome and they tore him to ribbons.

July 23, 2017 8:19 PM MDT

Well, Hitler talked his talk and walked that walk as well---of course Hitler thought he was the messiah.  Consistancy in error has no endemic value.  (Not sure why, but Pearl popped into my head after that sentence.)  Satan himself would be the best model of consistancy in error. 
      August 2, 2017 1:59 PM MDT