Active Now

Danilo_G
Malizz
Randy D
Discussion » Questions » Religion and Spirituality » E. 99 wants to know if Jesus was a vegetarian. I couldn't help him there. Do you know?

E. 99 wants to know if Jesus was a vegetarian. I couldn't help him there. Do you know?

Posted - July 23, 2017

Responses

Hitler, messiah, is that why so many followed him?

https://www.ushmm.org/wlc/en/article.php?ModuleId=10005206 - German Churches and the Nazi State
    https://www.nobeliefs.com/nazis.htm - Photos of clergy with Nazi’s
    https://www.religioustolerance.org/curr_war.htm - Religiously-based civil unrest and warfare
    https://www.jesusneverexisted.com/1000years.htm - 1000 years of carnage and barbarity in the name of Christ
    https://emperors-clothes.com/vatican/cpix.htm - photos of clergy with Hitler as well as photos of forced conversions
      August 3, 2017 6:11 AM MDT

I was talking about Hitler---not his followers.
      August 11, 2017 11:56 AM MDT

All I know about Jesus is that he was a SOUL man. 

August 11, 2017 12:06 PM MDT

"Others have already mentioned fish. Although it doesn't say that he particularly partook" ------------- According to Luke 24:41-42 Jesus “said unto them, Have ye here any meat? 42And they gave him a piece of a broiled fish, and of an honeycomb. 43And he took it, and did eat before them.”  to prove to them conclusively that he was thoroughly a living human being and not a resurrected spirit.
      August 1, 2017 7:54 AM MDT

Thanks for that. He obviously did eat fish on at least that occasion after his resurrection, likely before too.
      August 1, 2017 12:18 PM MDT

Did Jesus eat meat if he was not a vegetarian?

Yes, to prove to his disciples conclusively that he was thoroughly a living human being and not a resurrected spirit “he said unto them, Have ye here any meat? 42And they gave him a piece of a broiled fish, and of an honeycomb. 43And he took it, and did eat before them.” Luke 24:41-42
      August 1, 2017 8:03 AM MDT

I could see how you could interpret it that way by just isolating certain verses from the rest of the Bible. But when you reason on the scriptures you might view it a little different. You know it doesn't say: {to prove to his disciples conclusively that he was thoroughly a living human being and not a resurrected spirit}

Notice this commentary: 
    Was Jesus raised in a body of flesh, and does he have such a body in heaven now?
    1 Pet. 3:18: “Christ died once for all time concerning sins, a righteous person for unrighteous ones, that he might lead you to God, he being put to death in the flesh, but being made alive in the spirit [“by the Spirit,” KJ; “in the spirit,” RS, NE, Dy, JB].” (At his resurrection from the dead, Jesus was brought forth with a spirit body. In the Greek text the words “flesh” and “spirit” are put in contrast to each other, and both are in the dative case; so, if a translator uses the rendering “by the spirit” he should also consistently say “by the flesh,” or if he uses “in the flesh” he should also say “in the spirit.”)
    Acts 10:40, 41: “God raised this One [Jesus Christ] up on the third day and granted him to become manifest, not to all the people, but to witnesses appointed beforehand by God.” (Why did not others see him too? Because he was a spirit creature and when, as angels had done in the past, he materialized fleshly bodies to make himself visible, he did so only in the presence of his disciples.)
    1 Cor. 15:45: “It is even so written: ‘The first man Adam became a living soul.’ The last Adam [Jesus Christ, who was perfect as was Adam when created] became a life-giving spirit.”
    What does Luke 24:36-39 mean regarding the body in which Jesus was resurrected?
    Luke 24:36-39: “While they [the disciples] were speaking of these things he himself stood in their midst and said to them: ‘May you have peace.’ But because they were terrified, and had become frightened, they were imagining they beheld a spirit. So he said to them: ‘Why are you troubled, and why is it doubts come up in your hearts? See my hands and my feet, that it is I myself; feel me and see, because a spirit does not have flesh and bones just as you behold that I have.’”
    Humans cannot see spirits, so the disciples evidently thought they were seeing an apparition or a vision. (Compare Mark 6:49, 50.) Jesus assured them that he was no apparition; they could see his body of flesh and could touch him, feeling the bones; he also ate in their presence. Similarly, in the past, angels had materialized in order to be seen by men; they had eaten, and some had even married and fathered children. (Gen. 6:4; 19:1-3) Following his resurrection, Jesus did not always appear in the same body of flesh (perhaps to reinforce in their minds the fact that he was then a spirit), and so he was not immediately recognized even by his close associates. (John 20:14, 15; 21:4-7) However, by his repeatedly appearing to them in materialized bodies and then saying and doing things that they would identify with the Jesus they knew, he strengthened their faith in the fact that he truly had been resurrected from the dead.
    If the disciples had actually seen Jesus in the body that he now has in heaven, Paul would not later have referred to the glorified Christ as being “the exact representation of [God’s] very being,” because God is a Spirit and has never been in the flesh.—Heb. 1:3; compare 1 Timothy 6:16.
    When reading the reports of Jesus’ postresurrection appearances, we are helped to understand them properly if we keep in mind 1 Peter 3:18 and 1 Corinthians 15:45, quoted on page 334.
    See also pages 217, 218, under “Jesus Christ.”

By reasoning and taking in to account all the scriptures, you get a clear picture.
    (Acts 17:2, 3) So according to Paul’s custom he went inside to them, and for three sabbaths he reasoned with them from the Scriptures, 3 explaining and proving by references that it was necessary for the Christ to suffer and to rise from the dead, saying: “This is the Christ, this Jesus whom I am proclaiming to you.”
    (2 Timothy 3:16) All Scripture is inspired of God and beneficial for teaching, for reproving, for setting things straight, for disciplining in righteousness,
      August 1, 2017 12:39 PM MDT

You know it doesn't say: {to prove to his disciples conclusively that he was thoroughly a living human being and not a resurrected spirit} --------- Indeed you are quite right, it doesn't and that's why i didn't put that in quotes. That comes from the context of the passage. Jesus saw that his disciples were petrified on beholding him. They thought that they were seeing a spirit, a ghost. So he started assuring them that he was not a resurrected spirit but the same flesh and bone person they knew, and what I quoted, about his asking for food and eating it in front of them was the final bit in his reassuring of his disciples that he was not a resurrected spirit or ghost come to haunt them.
      August 1, 2017 1:25 PM MDT

I am guessing you either didn't read the cited scriptures or else you throw them out as they don't fit your preconceived idea.

God is a spirit. Angels are spirits. Demons are spirits. Those going to heaven are resurrected in the spirit or as spirit beings. Jesus wasn't a demon spirit, apparition, or a supposed ghost. He was Killed, in the grave for parts of three days, and resurrected in the spirit and some 40 days later went back to heaven, according to the scriptures.

(1 Peter 3:18-20) For Christ died once for all time for sins, a righteous person for unrighteous ones, in order to lead you to God. He was put to death in the flesh but made alive in the spirit. 19 And in this state he went and preached to the spirits in prison, 20 who had formerly been disobedient when God was patiently waiting in Noah’s day, while the ark was being constructed, in which a few people, that is, eight souls, were carried safely through the water.
    (1 Timothy 3:16) Indeed, the sacred secret of this godly devotion is admittedly great: ‘He was made manifest in flesh, was declared righteous in spirit, appeared to angels, was preached about among nations, was believed upon in the world, was received up in glory.’
    (1 Corinthians 15:50) But I tell you this, brothers, that flesh and blood cannot inherit God’s Kingdom, nor does corruption inherit incorruption.
    (2 Corinthians 5:16) So from now on we know no man from a fleshly viewpoint. Even if we once knew Christ according to the flesh, we certainly no longer know him in that way.
      August 1, 2017 1:45 PM MDT

I was staying within the context of the conversation between Jesus and his disciples in that room. That is where the eating happened and the purpose behind that eating was also there. I didn't have to go elsewhere.
      August 1, 2017 5:21 PM MDT

Well he didn't say that he was "not a resurrected spirit" there did he? Funny how you felt the need to add it as if it were.
    Quote from you: 'to prove to his disciples conclusively that he was thoroughly a living human being and not a resurrected spirit'

I bet I can pull something out of the Quran the same way you did the Bible by isolating it if you like.
      August 1, 2017 7:09 PM MDT

Yes, Tex, I already acknowledged your point earlier, in response to your first comment on my answer. Let me quote:

"You know it doesn't say: {to prove to his disciples conclusively that he was thoroughly a living human being and not a resurrected spirit} --------- Indeed you are quite right, it doesn't and that's why i didn't put that in quotes."

In subsequent posts I explained why I said that. It was based on the context. Let me explain more:

When he appeared to his disciples in the room the first thing Jesus did was to greet them [this btw was the usual greeting of Jesus which is exactly the same as the Muslim Salam Eleikom] Luke 24:37 continues "But they were terrified and affrighted” because they all understood from hearsay that Jesus was dead and therefore they “supposed that they had seen a spirit” a ghost who had come to haunt them. Jesus saw the fear “38And he said unto them, Why are ye troubled? and why do thoughts arise in your hearts?” Jesus was quick to reassure them he was no ghost but the very Jesus that had been nailed up. So he showed them the wounds saying. “39Behold my hands and my feet, that it is I myself” Do people recognise one another by hands and feet? Of course not. He was pointing out the wounds from the crucifixion.
      August 2, 2017 12:36 PM MDT

Look up the cited scriptures that are also relevant to get the full picture:
    [Christ’s Body of Flesh. At the institution of the Lord’s Evening Meal, Jesus offered the unfermented bread to the 11 faithful apostles, saying: “This means my body which is to be given in your behalf.” (Lu 22:19) The apostle Peter later said: “He [Jesus] himself bore our sins in his own body upon the stake.”—1Pe 2:24; Heb 10:10; see LORD’S EVENING MEAL.
    In order for Jesus to be “the last Adam” (1Co 15:45) and to be “a corresponding ransom for all [mankind],” his fleshly body had to be a real human body, no incarnation. (1Ti 2:5, 6; Mt 20:28) It had to be perfect, for it was to be sacrificed to present to Jehovah God the purchase price. (1Pe 1:18, 19; Heb 9:14) No imperfect human could provide the needed price. (Ps 49:7-9) For this reason Jesus said to his Father when presenting himself for baptism, to begin his sacrificial course: “You prepared a body for me.”—Heb 10:5.
    The physical body of Jesus Christ was not allowed to decay into dust as did the bodies of Moses and David, men who were used to foreshadow Christ. (De 34:5, 6; Ac 13:35, 36; 2:27, 31) When his disciples went to the tomb early on the first day of the week, Jesus’ body had disappeared, and the bandages with which his body had been wrapped were left in the tomb, his body doubtless having been disintegrated without passing through the process of decaying.—Joh 20:2-9; Lu 24:3-6.
    After Jesus’ resurrection he appeared in different bodies. Mary mistook him for the gardener. (Joh 20:14, 15) He again appeared, entering a room with locked doors, having a body with wound marks. (Joh 20:24-29) Several times he manifested himself and was recognized, not by his appearance, but by his words and actions. (Lu 24:15, 16, 30, 31, 36-45; Mt 28:16-18) Once a miracle performed at his direction opened his disciples’ eyes to his identity. (Joh 21:4-7, 12) Jesus, having been resurrected as a spirit (1Pe 3:18), could materialize a body for the occasion as the angels did in past times, when they appeared as messengers. (Ge 18:2; 19:1, 12; Jos 5:13, 14; Jg 13:3, 6; Heb 13:2) During the days before the Flood, the angels that “did not keep their original position but forsook their own proper dwelling place” performed an incarnation and married human wives. That these angelic sons of God were not truly human but had materialized bodies is shown by the fact that the Flood did not destroy these angels, but they dematerialized and returned to the spirit realm.—Jude 6; Ge 6:4; 1Pe 3:19, 20; 2Pe 2:4.]

Also in relation to your Islamic opinion that Jesus didn't die, consider that within the context of the rest of the scriptures:
    (Matthew 16:21) From that time forward, Jesus began explaining to his disciples that he must go to Jerusalem and suffer many things from the elders and chief priests and scribes and be killed, and on the third day be raised up.
    (Matthew 17:22, 23) It was while they were gathered together in Galʹi·lee that Jesus said to them: “The Son of man is going to be betrayed into men’s hands, 23 and they will kill him, and on the third day he will be raised up.” And they were very much grieved.
    (Matthew 20:18, 19) “Look! We are going up to Jerusalem, and the Son of man will be handed over to the chief priests and the scribes. They will condemn him to death 19 and hand him over to men of the nations to be mocked and scourged and executed on a stake; and on the third day he will be raised up.”
    (Luke 9:22) but he said: “The Son of man must undergo many sufferings and be rejected by the elders and the chief priests and the scribes and be killed, and on the third day be raised up.”
    (Acts 10:38-43) about Jesus who was from Nazʹa·reth, how God anointed him with holy spirit and power, and he went through the land doing good and healing all those oppressed by the Devil, because God was with him. 39 And we are witnesses of all the things he did both in the country of the Jews and in Jerusalem; but they did away with him by hanging him on a stake. 40 God raised this one up on the third day and allowed him to become manifest, 41 not to all the people, but to witnesses appointed beforehand by God, to us, who ate and drank with him after his rising from the dead. 42 Also, he ordered us to preach to the people and to give a thorough witness that this is the one decreed by God to be judge of the living and the dead. 43 To him all the prophets bear witness, that everyone putting faith in him receives forgiveness of sins through his name.”
    (1 Corinthians 15:3-8) For among the first things I handed on to you was what I also received, that Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures; 4 and that he was buried, yes, that he was raised up on the third day according to the Scriptures; 5 and that he appeared to Ceʹphas, and then to the Twelve. 6 After that he appeared to more than 500 brothers at one time, most of whom are still with us, though some have fallen asleep in death. 7 After that he appeared to James, then to all the apostles. 8 But last of all he appeared also to me as if to one born prematurely.
      August 3, 2017 6:24 AM MDT

You HAVE to bring in other scriptures to support your beliefs, that's understandable.

I don't need to bring in other scriptures from elsewhere. I have no problem which requires me to do so. For me that passage adequately describes what was happening in that room.
      August 9, 2017 9:05 AM MDT

Some people just are not reasonable. 

Cherry picking is okay with you? So you think that all Muslims are supposed to murder non believers? 
    I don't need to bring in other scriptures from elsewhere. I have no problem which requires me to do so. For me that passage adequately describes what Muslims are told to do by Muhammad. 

Quran 8:12 [Remember] when your Lord inspired to the angels, "I am with you, so strengthen those who have believed. I will cast terror into the hearts of those who disbelieved, so strike [them] upon the necks and strike from them every fingertip."
      August 9, 2017 9:44 AM MDT

"Cherry picking is okay with you?"  ------------ I though you are the one who cherry picked verses from elsewhere to support your take on that passage. I just stuck to that passage. I didn't cherry pick verses from anywhere else.

Also, I've no need to pick verses outside the passage where HQ 8:12 comes from. The verse is clearly seeking to boost the moral of the believers so that they will face the enemies and defend themselves against the attacking armies of the disbelievers.

If you prefer your interpretation of HQ 8:12 that's up to you. If you are sincere about that interpretation then you must obviously be living in constant fear of bumping into a Muslim by accident because hey have an obligation to murder you.
      August 9, 2017 1:07 PM MDT

Cherry pick: selectively choose (the most beneficial items) from what is available.

I used the whole of the Bible in context. You picked one isolated verse. Get real.

Quote: "Also, I've no need to pick verses outside the passage where HQ 8:12 comes from. The verse is clearly seeking to boost the moral of the believers so that they will face the enemies and defend themselves against the attacking armies of the disbelievers."
    Not as clearly as you claim. It says "I will cast terror into the hearts of those who disbelieved, so strike [them] upon the necks and strike from them every fingertip."

That's some moral booster. It looks like an order to kill to me. I would have thought that you would give some other related passages to give the context rather than just your opinion.
      August 9, 2017 2:48 PM MDT

I know what Cherry pick means. You didn't have to post a meaning. However, since you did let's bear in mind what it says "selectively choose (the most beneficial items) from what is available." Now test your honesty. Who selectively chose the most beneficial verses from what is available in the Bible to support his interpretation of the passage about what happened in the room, you or I? I looked at the passage as it stood. I did not selectively choose any verses from what is available in the Bible to support my interpretation of the passage.

I have already given you my sincere interpretation of HQ 8:12. If you prefer your interpretation of that verse that's up to you. I also gave you a method of checking your sincerity about your interpretation. If you're sincere then you'll obviously be living in constant fear of bumping into a Muslim by accident because you'll sincerely believe that they have an obligation to murder you.

August 9, 2017 5:13 PM MDT

You use only one verse that could me understood in more than one way while you discard all other relevant verses that would give a full picture. I use all of the Bible as well as reason.
      August 10, 2017 6:56 PM MDT

For me there wasn't anything odd in the passage that needed looking elsewhere to make sense of. It is a standalone passage for me, so I didn't look elsewhere. A bit like the few words in John 17:3 which say that the Father is "the only true God" They are standalone. They don't even need the rest of the verse to get the message across.
      August 11, 2017 12:05 AM MDT

Alone, John 17:3 doesn't mention the Father unless one already knows that 'the only true God' refers to the Father. You need to go back to verse 1 to find that the context is referring to the Father. Going back to John 16:29 will eliminate any doubt as to rather or not Jesus is somehow using a parable as it shows he is speaking plainly.

(John 17:3) This means everlasting life, their coming to know you, the only true God, and the one whom you sent, Jesus Christ.

(John 17:1-3) Jesus spoke these things, and raising his eyes to heaven, he said: “Father, the hour has come. Glorify your son so that your son may glorify you, 2 just as you have given him authority over all flesh, so that he may give everlasting life to all those whom you have given to him. 3 This means everlasting life, their coming to know you, the only true God, and the one whom you sent, Jesus Christ.

What a lovely verse in the Quran that calls every non-Muslim a vile animal just for not believing. I suppose it even refers to babies of Muslims.
    'For me there wasn't anything odd in the passage that needed looking elsewhere to make sense of. It is a standalone passage for me, so I didn't look elsewhere.'
    Quran 8:55 Surely the vilest of animals in Allah's sight are those who disbelieve, then they would not believe.

August 11, 2017 5:35 AM MDT

You see though John 17:3 is very clear to me in what Jesus believes regarding God. To the trinitarian it doesn't mean what it does to me.

Similarly you're welcome to read what you want in HQ 8:55. Needless to say that I don't see it the way you do, nor will my explanation of how see it will make any difference to you. Mind you I could pick any one of numerous verses in the Bible that do far worse than merely call names. But that will be a bit childish.

I was even more puzzled by "I suppose it even refers to babies of Muslims." Getting more and more strange
      August 11, 2017 11:36 AM MDT

Once you study the bible sufficiently with the help of the Holy Spirity (the third person of the triune God) you get a real familiarity with both the nature and attributes of the God who created us and Jesus Christ himself as the Word (the second person of the triune God that took on human nature) and what Christ did and thought and felt in His humanity.

(And of course this relives one of the torturous exercise of making every utterance recorded by God to fit into a preconcieved notion of what we readers think He must have meant for it to mean so that everything God said is internally consistant (according to "whomever") rather than simply taking some utterances as hints of wondrous realities that God has only teased us with in the bible---as any good father might do with his children.)

The bible doesn't list everything that is true; it does not always address the specifics we would like answers to. Personally, I find it is reasonable to assume that Christ partook of some if not all of the dietary availabilities appropriate to the time in which He lived.  Lamb was a part of Passover and meat in general was allowed to be eaten by the Jews under specific restrictions under the Mosaic law.

And I would cite 1 Timothy 4: 1...11   ----not as proof, but as insight.

August 2, 2017 2:21 PM MDT

I suppose that since Muslims also don't get their teachings from the Bible, they could say:
    Once you study the bible sufficiently with the help of Mohammad (the last Prophet of God) you get a real familiarity with both the nature and attributes Allah who created us and Jesus Christ himself as only a Prophet (who faked his death to escape) and what Jesus did and thought and felt as a Prophet.

But then again, we do have the Bible and those that preach the truth contained therein. 
      August 3, 2017 6:15 AM MDT

Spend less time taliing about what you have decied what God is and more time talking to Him....might actually get your out of your rut.

Otherwise, we just have the Bible and the Jehovah's Witnesses who don't seem to be able to figure out hat it says.

Perhaps you simply do not have the necessary faith to see what it says.

August 11, 2017 12:03 PM MDT