Active Now

Malizz
Danilo_G
Randy D
Discussion » Questions » Religion and Spirituality » Jehovah's Witnesses: Do your culinary artists, at the Watchtower, approve or disapprove transgender rights?

Jehovah's Witnesses: Do your culinary artists, at the Watchtower, approve or disapprove transgender rights?

Posted - July 26, 2017

Responses

i bet they disaprove
      July 26, 2017 1:42 PM MDT

If they do, I'd like to know why.

July 26, 2017 3:38 PM MDT

Just for the record, there are no so called "culinary artists" at any of our facilities.
      August 5, 2017 10:06 AM MDT

No they would not, nor do they approve of openly gay people.
      July 26, 2017 3:49 PM MDT

www.watchtowerrestaurant.com

The culinary artists will answer your questions. This post was edited by Kittigate at July 26, 2017 4:17 PM MDT
      July 26, 2017 4:16 PM MDT

Not sure where you are going with this but not sure what a culinary artist is? Many Christians have to overcome prejudices or whatever they are dealing with in trying to put on the Christian personality, so if you are referring to some individual witnesses, I don't know. We are all affected differently by the rampant crime, violence, immorality and such in this world in different ways.

(Colossians 3:9, 10) Do not lie to one another. Strip off the old personality with its practices, 10 and clothe yourselves with the new personality, which through accurate knowledge is being made new according to the image of the One who created it,
    (2 Timothy 3:1-4) But know this, that in the last days critical times hard to deal with will be here. 2 For men will be lovers of themselves, lovers of money, boastful, haughty, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, disloyal, 3 having no natural affection, not open to any agreement, slanderers, without self-control, fierce, without love of goodness, 4 betrayers, headstrong, puffed up with pride, lovers of pleasures rather than lovers of God,

If you wan't to know what the Bible says or what JW's teach, you could look up the verses in this article:
    https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/102016128?q=homophobic&p=par

What Does the Bible Say About Homosexuality?

GAY marriage is still under debate in many countries. In the United States, however, in 2015 the Supreme Court declared gay marriage to be legal nationwide. Thereafter, Internet searches on the topic skyrocketed. One of the most popular questions asked was, “What does the Bible say about gay marriage?”

The Bible does not specifically comment on legal rights involving marriage between people of the same sex. A more fundamental question is, What does the Bible say about homosexuality?

Without closely examining the Bible, many people think that they know the answer—but their answers are contradictory! Some say that the Bible is clearly antigay. Others claim that the Biblical command to “love your neighbor” supports any and all sexual lifestyles.—Romans 13:9.

WHAT DOES THE BIBLE SAY?

Which of these statements would you consider to be true?

1. The Bible condemns homosexual acts.

2. The Bible condones homosexual acts.

3. The Bible promotes homophobia (a hatred of or prejudice toward homosexuals).

ANSWERS:

1. TRUE. The Bible says: “Men who practice homosexuality . . . will not inherit God’s Kingdom.” (1 Corinthians 6:9, 10) The same applies to women.—Romans 1:26.

2. FALSE. The Bible teaches that sex should be engaged in only by a male and a female who are married to each other.—Genesis 1:27, 28; Proverbs 5:18, 19.

3. FALSE. Although the Bible condemns homosexual acts, it does not encourage prejudice, hate crimes, or any other kind of mistreatment of homosexuals.—Romans 12:18.[1]

What Do Jehovah’s Witnesses Believe?

Jehovah’s Witnesses believe that the Bible’s moral code is the best standard for living, and they choose to abide by that code. (Isaiah 48:17)[2] This means that Jehovah’s Witnesses reject all sexual misconduct, including homosexuality. (1 Corinthians 6:18)[3]That is the Witnesses’ lifestyle choice, and they have a right to it.

Jehovah’s Witnesses strive to follow the Golden Rule by treating others the way they themselves would like to be treated

At the same time, Jehovah’s Witnesses strive to “pursue peace with all people.” (Hebrews 12:14) While they reject homosexual acts, Jehovah’s Witnesses do not force their view on others, nor do they participate in homophobic hate crimes or rejoice when they hear of them. Jehovah’s Witnesses strive to follow the Golden Rule by treating others the way they themselves would like to be treated.—Matthew 7:12.

Does the Bible Promote Prejudice?

Still, some people would say that the Bible promotes prejudice against homosexuals and that those who adhere to its moral code are intolerant. ‘The Bible was written at a time when people were narrow-minded,’ they claim. ‘Today we accept people of all races, nationalities, and sexual preferences.’ To them, rejecting homosexuality is the same as rejecting people of a different skin color. Is that comparison valid? No. Why not?

Because there is a difference between rejecting homosexual conduct and rejecting homosexual people. The Bible tells Christians to be respectful of all kinds of people. (1 Peter 2:17)[4] But that does not mean that Christians must accept all kinds of conduct.

Consider a comparison: Suppose you view smoking as harmful and even repugnant. What if you have a workmate who is a smoker? Would you be considered narrow-minded just because your view of smoking differs from his? Would the fact that he smokes and you do not smoke automatically mean that you are prejudiced against him? If your workmate were to demand that you change your view of smoking, would that not make him narrow-minded and intolerant?

Jehovah’s Witnesses choose to live by the moral code set forth in the Bible. They do not approve of the actions that the Bible prohibits. But they neither mock nor mistreat people whose practices differ from their own.

Is the Bible’s View Cruel?

What about people who have homosexual inclinations? Were they born that way? If so, would it not be cruel to say that it is wrong for them to act on their desires?

The Bible does not comment on the biology of homosexuality, although it acknowledges that some human traits are deeply ingrained. Still, the Bible says that certain conduct—including homosexual acts—must be shunned if we are to please God.—2 Corinthians 10:4, 5.

Some would say that the Bible’s position is cruel. But their claim is based on the premise that we must act on our impulses or that sexual impulses in particular are so important that they should not—even cannot—be controlled. However, the Bible dignifies humans by stating that they can resist their urges. Unlike animals, they can choose not to act on their impulses.—Colossians 3:5.[5]

Consider a comparison: Some experts say that certain behavioral traits, such as aggression, may have a biological cause. The Bible does not specifically comment on the biology of aggression, but it does acknowledge that some people are “prone to anger” and “disposed to rage.” (Proverbs 22:24; 29:22) Yet, the Bible also says: “Let go of anger and abandon rage.”—Psalm 37:8; Ephesians 4:31.

Few people would disagree with that advice or say that it is cruel to those who have aggressive tendencies. In fact, even those experts who believe that anger is rooted in a person’s genetic makeup work hard to help people control such tendencies.

Jehovah’s Witnesses take a similar position toward any conduct that conflicts with Bible standards, including sexual acts between two people of the opposite sex who are not married to each other. In all such cases, the Bible counsel applies: “Each one of you should know how to control his own body in holiness and honor, not with greedy, uncontrolled sexual passion.”—1 Thessalonians 4:4, 5.

“That Is What Some of You Were”

Those who wanted to become Christians in the first century came from various backgrounds and lifestyles, and some of them made significant lifestyle changes. For example, the Bible speaks of “those who are sexually immoral, idolaters, adulterers, men who submit to homosexual acts,” and then it adds: “That is what some of you were.”1 Corinthians 6:9-11.

In saying “that is what some of you were,” does the Bible mean that those who stopped engaging in homosexual acts never again experienced any homosexual desires? That could hardly be the case, because the Bible also exhorts: “Keep walking by spirit and you will carry out no fleshly desire.”—Galatians 5:16.

Note that the Bible does not say that a Christian will never experience an improper desire. Rather, it says that he or she will choose not to carry out that desire. Christians learn to bring such desires under control, not dwelling on them to the point of acting on them.—James 1:14, 15.[6]

The Bible thus makes a distinction between inclinations and practices. (Romans 7:16-25) A person who has homosexual leanings can control what he allows his mind to dwell on, just as he would control any other wrong desire, including leanings toward anger, adultery, and greed.—1 Corinthians 9:27; 2 Peter 2:14, 15.

While Jehovah’s Witnesses uphold the moral code set forth in the Bible, they do not force their views on others. Nor do they try to reverse laws that protect the human rights of those whose lifestyle differs from theirs. The message that Jehovah’s Witnesses bear is a positive one, and they eagerly share it with all who will listen.—Acts 20:20.

1. Romans 12:18: “Be peaceable with all men.”

2. Isaiah 48:17: “I, Jehovah, am your God, the One teaching you to benefit yourself.”

3. 1 Corinthians 6:18: “Flee from sexual immorality!”

4. 1 Peter 2:17: “Honor men of all sorts.”

5. Colossians 3:5: “Deaden, therefore, your body members that are on the earth as respects sexual immorality, uncleanness, uncontrolled sexual passion.”

6. James 1:14, 15: “Each one is tried by being drawn out and enticed by his own desire. Then the desire, when it has become fertile, gives birth to sin.”

July 29, 2017 9:27 AM MDT

Spam's basic ingredients are pork, with ham meat added, salt, water, modified potato starch as a binder, sugar, and sodium nitrite as a preservative. Natural gelatin is formed during cooking in its tins on the production line. Many have raised concerns over Spam's nutritional attributes, in large part due to its high content of fat, sodium, and preservatives.  (Wikipedia)

A culinary artist is quite good making even Spam taste and look good. The Jehovah's witnesses have an interpretation of the Bible that is (with apologies to Hormel Foods) the equivalent of intellectual "spam."

And the culinary artists at the Watchtower are very good at making it sound as if the JW's intellectual spam is both nutritious and appetizing.
      July 29, 2017 10:37 AM MDT

You're right. Good one. Spam is exactly what the Watchtower serves its confused, lost, blind sheep.
      August 2, 2017 7:54 PM MDT

JW's have never protested anyone's rights as far as I know, have you seen them protesting transgender rights?
    How about clarifying your Popes decision to all Catholic Perishes and Churches?

https://www.hrc.org/resources/stances-of-faiths-on-lgbt-issues-roman-catholic-church

LGBTQ Equality

On Inclusion

The Catechism of the Catholic Church, a text which contains dogmas and teachings of the Church, names “homosexual acts” as “intrinsically immoral and contrary to the natural law,” and names “homosexual tendencies” as “objectively disordered.” While the Catholic Church does not consider “homosexual orientation” sinful in and of itself, it does have a very negative attitude toward it. The 1986 Letter states, “Although the particular inclination of the homosexual person is not a sin, it is a more or less strong tendency ordered toward an intrinsic moral evil; and thus the inclination itself must be seen as an objective disorder.”

The fact that Catholicism does not consider the “inclination” sinful is very different from more fundamentalist Christian churches. It is one of the reasons that the Catholic Church has not officially approved of reparative therapy. The Catechism further states that “Homosexual persons are called to chastity.” However, the doctrine also specifies that, “Such persons must be accepted with respect and sensitivity. Every sign of unjust discrimination in their regard should be avoided.”

The actual experience of LGBTQ parishioners can vary widely across dioceses and parishes.  Many Catholic communities reach out to LGBTQ members to offer as full of a welcome as possible within the limits of a Church policy that does not approve of same-sex relationships, even committed ones. Other parishes have denied membership to LGBTQ individuals and families. There have also been recent instances of LGBTQ employees in the United States being dismissed from Catholic schools and parishes following the celebration of a same-sex couple’s marriage.

There is no official policy regarding transgender individuals in the Catechism of the Catholic Church, though doctrinal teachings clearly equate birth anatomy with gender. The Vatican’s Extraordinary Synod, convened in October 2014, debated several issues related to LGBTQ inclusion but did not address questions regarding transgender church members. However, the experience of transgender Catholics varies depending on their communities, (Tia Pesando, a transgender woman, recently made news when she was accepted to a Carmelite Sisters’ novitiate in Canada.)

In September 2015, the Vatican’s Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith, responsible for enforcing Catholic doctrine, did not permit a transgender man in Spain to serve as a godfather effetively barring transgender Catholics from serving as a baptismal sponsors. The statement concluded:

https://www.nytimes.com/2015/07/29/us/gay-and-transgender-catholics-urge-pope-francis-to-take-a-stand.html

August 3, 2017 5:25 AM MDT

My question is aimed to JW's, not Catholics, silly.

"JW's have never protested anyone's rights as far as I know,"
    So, you're telling me that the Watchtower supports transgender as a proper and legal choice.
      August 3, 2017 3:34 PM MDT

Pretty sure what I told you was "JW's have never protested anyone's rights as far as I know...".
    As the Watchtower is not a political organization, I don't think that the Watchtower is supporting or opposing transgender as a proper and legal choice.

If someone feels they are something that they are not, I personally hope that they are treated with compassion.

Why don't you get a life? What is your silly obsession with JW's? On answerbag you went back and forth between being Catholic and not. In another thread on here, you said you are no longer Catholic, something to the affect of you found out it wasn't true. If you are really not Catholic anymore and feel that they deceived you all of those years, shouldn't your attention be on the ones that deceived you?
    If your lobbying for some transgender cause, wouldn't your time be better spent with religions that try to influence the legislators? Or is this just another of your excuses to attack JW's?
      August 3, 2017 6:36 PM MDT

" ... treated with compassion."
    What a joke.

I have a life. My silly obsession with JW's is how deceived they are. I'm not attacking JW's, I just have that silly little obsession with them. lol 

This is for your collection of Clergy/Nazi pics, you seem to have a silly obsession with.
    Don't forget, the pics you have are very likely to be of dead clergy. That exposes your obsession with the dead, also.
    Silly goose.

August 3, 2017 8:35 PM MDT

You don't see me trying to make issue with something that Catholics never commented on, lobbied for or against, or...

Not that it's right, but I have had a habit of posting links to photos of your Clergy after you have made your baseless attacks against JW's. Unfortunately, many now dead Catholic clergymen have taken many others with them.

EDIT: It is a shame that there are so many photos of your Clergy in bed with the NAZI's. The NAZI's must have had a lot of respect for Catholic Priest.

Adolf Hitler converses with the Papal Nuncio, Archbishop Cesare Orsenigo, at a New Year’s reception in Berlin. (January 1, 1935)[Photo source, US Holocaust Museum]

National Bishop Friedrich Coch giving a Hitler greeting in Dresden, 10 December 1933

Reich Bichop Ludig Muller, Berlin, 1934
    This post was edited by texasescimo at August 4, 2017 8:49 AM MDT
      August 3, 2017 8:46 PM MDT

Now I know you have a serious obsession with dead clergy members.

August 4, 2017 4:26 AM MDT

Unfortunately, they were responsible for the death of many that did not follow them willingly. Similar thing happened in Rwanda.
      August 4, 2017 7:29 AM MDT

Hey, it's your obsession with dead people, not mine.
    Try getting a life. This post was edited by antibiotic at August 4, 2017 5:36 PM MDT
      August 4, 2017 5:34 PM MDT

Nope, look again. You are the one that brought up harmless misunderstandings of some dead people while ignoring your murdering forefathers.
      August 5, 2017 7:23 AM MDT

murdering forefathers?
    obsession with dead people?
    hahahahaha

They can't be anyone's forefathers if they were celibate, you obsessive silly goose.
    hahahahahaha This post was edited by antibiotic at August 5, 2017 9:13 AM MDT
      August 5, 2017 9:09 AM MDT

Spiritual forefathers, no? Weren't you told to call them Father? Not all were fully celibate either, just not allowed to get married.

Ironic ain't it:
    (1 Timothy 4:1-3) However, the inspired word clearly says that in later times some will fall away from the faith, paying attention to misleading inspired statements and teachings of demons, 2 by means of the hypocrisy of men who speak lies, whose conscience is seared as with a branding iron. 3 They forbid marriage and command people to abstain from foods that God created to be partaken of with thanksgiving by those who have faith and accurately know the truth.
    (Matthew 23:9) Moreover, do not call anyone your father on earth, for one is your Father, the heavenly One.
      August 5, 2017 12:53 PM MDT

Not sure what this has to do with the question or my answer? I assumed the question was addressed to Jehovah's Witnesses so, against my better judgement,  I thought I would attempt to give an answer.

Your problem with JW's is that they let the Bible interpret the Bible unlike your Catholic Church that just tells you what you need to know.
    (2 Timothy 3:16) All Scripture is inspired of God and beneficial for teaching, for reproving, for setting things straight, for disciplining in righteousness,
    (Romans 15:4) For all the things that were written beforehand were written for our instruction, so that through our endurance and through the comfort from the Scriptures we might have hope.
    (1 Corinthians 4:6) Now, brothers, these things I have applied to myself and A·polʹlos for your good, that through us you may learn the rule: “Do not go beyond the things that are written,” so that you may not be puffed up with pride, favoring one against the other.
    (Acts 17:2, 3) So according to Paul’s custom he went inside to them, and for three sabbaths he reasoned with them from the Scriptures, 3 explaining and proving by references that it was necessary for the Christ to suffer and to rise from the dead, saying: “This is the Christ, this Jesus whom I am proclaiming to you.”

Does you Church have an interpretation of the Bible or does their doctrines come from somewhere else? No need to read the Bible for yourself, your Church will tell you all you need to know, right?

https://www.newadvent.org/cathen/02033b.htm
    CATHOLIC ENCYCLOPEDIA: The Athanasian Creed

At various points the author calls attention to the penalty incurred by those who refuse to accept any of the articles therein set down.

The Father Incomprehensible, the Son Incomprehensible, and the Holy Ghost Incomprehensible

So likewise the Father is Almighty, the Son Almighty, and the Holy Ghost Almighty. And yet they are not Three Almighties but One Almighty.

So there is One Father, not Three Fathers; one Son, not Three Sons; One Holy Ghost, not Three Holy Ghosts. And in this Trinity none is afore or after Other, None is greater or less than Another, but the whole Three Persons are Co-eternal together, and Co-equal

Who, then, is the author? The results of recent inquiry make it highly probable that the Creed first saw the light in the fourth century, during the life of the great Eastern patriarch, or shortly after his death

The "damnatory", or "minatory clauses", are the pronouncements contained in the symbol, of the penalties which follow the rejection of what is there proposed for our belief. It opens with one of them: "Whosoever will be saved, before all things it is necessary that he hold the Catholic Faith". The same is expressed in the verses beginning: "Furthermore, it is necessary" etc., and "For the right Faith is" etc., and finally in the concluding verse: "This is the Catholic Faith, which except a man believe faithfully and firmly, he cannot be saved". Just as the Creed states in a very plain and precise way what the Catholic Faith is concerning the important doctrines of the Trinity and the Incarnation, so it asserts with equal plainness and precision what will happen to those who do not faithfully and steadfastly believe in these revealed truths..

From a dogmatic standpoint, the merely historical question of the authorship of the Creed, or of the time it made its appearance, is of secondary consideration.  The fact alone that it is approved by the Church as expressing its mind on the fundamental truths with which it deals, is all we need to know. 

This post was edited by texasescimo at August 4, 2017 8:49 AM MDT
      August 3, 2017 8:55 PM MDT

Well, texasescimo, as you said, your answer was written "agains your better judgment"---but it at least proves that in some limited instances, you do in fact possess "better judgment."

I will count this as your first example of displaying "better judgment."  I will pray that it also eventually comes to influence your religious beliefs.  (Perhaps the Hound of Heaven may have nipped you while you were sleeping---as opposed to how Paul was knocked off his horse.)  
      August 4, 2017 12:38 PM MDT

Come on Tex. 
    Enough with the run around, meaningless waste of typing. Cut to the chase. What does the bible explain about humans choosing their sex by medical success? 

Transgender concern has nothing to do with homosexuality, sexual acts and sexual passion. If you think it does, then you shouldn't put scriptures into something you know nothing about. This post was edited by antibiotic at August 2, 2017 7:45 PM MDT
      August 2, 2017 7:40 PM MDT

Tex, you gave a very thorough, informative, and scriptural answer. For those that are sincere of heart your comment provided thought provoking answers and much to consider from the heart.
      July 30, 2017 11:27 PM MDT

Tex has failed very thoroughly using irrelevant scriptures which have nothing to do with the subject matter.
    The transgender concern has nothing to do with homosexuality, sexual acts and sexual passion.
    What is your thought on the transgender issue? Are you allowed to think for your self without any food served. by the Watchtower, on this matter?

This post was edited by antibiotic at August 4, 2017 9:28 AM MDT
      August 2, 2017 7:51 PM MDT