Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Transportation » I want to get a vintage VW Bus and restore it, but I know nothing about cars. Where do I start?

I want to get a vintage VW Bus and restore it, but I know nothing about cars. Where do I start?

I know it sounds silly, but I've always liked them and instead of buying a new car next time around, I want to restore a Bus bit by bit. How can I get into it without getting screwed over? 

Posted - August 3, 2017

Responses

• Having ridden and even worked on a few I can say they are junk.  Terrible design all around.
      August 3, 2017 10:45 PM MDT

Yes, yes. I know. That aside, I want one. I never said it was logical.
      August 3, 2017 11:41 PM MDT

• I understand.
      August 3, 2017 11:56 PM MDT

Save your money. I just sent you one.  
      August 3, 2017 10:51 PM MDT

Woohoo! You rock! Thank you!
      August 3, 2017 11:41 PM MDT

Hehehe...... I like the little gifts. They're fun! And thanks for the tasty cocktail!   
      August 3, 2017 11:44 PM MDT

Not suggesting that you buy one from eBay but this will give you an idea as to what you might be up against, pricewise. (And there's always Craigslist too.)

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2380057.m570.l1313.TR12.TRC2.A0.H0.Xvw+bus.TRS0&_nkw=vw+bus&_sacat=0
      August 4, 2017 12:11 AM MDT

Thanks. I have some familiarity with them in terms of cost and value, as well as how much money people pour into them as they fix them up. I'd put it on par with buying a new car once it's all said and done. Perhaps a bit more. The hard part for me would be to go look at them and identify if I was getting a fair deal based on the amount of work needed. I can identify some problems, but others I would totally overlook. I considered finding a mechanic in advance- someone who could look over options with me and would handle the repairs, but it kind of comes back to the same space. How would I know if the mechanic was being honest and not just looking forward to cashing in on all the repairs? So, it comes down to the fact that I really need some kind of hands-on learning before I even look at them with the intent to buy. There are some VW clubs out here, but they don't seem very welcoming to outsiders, as in, the newcomers catch a lot of flack for not knowing things. I don't want to subject myself to that, so I'm out of ideas. 
      August 4, 2017 1:00 AM MDT

Help a woman who doesn't want to get screwed?  That's too confusing for me to conceptualize. I can't do this, I have to walk away. 

:(
      August 4, 2017 12:32 AM MDT

Hahahahaha! I guess I didn't need a restraining order after all. ;)
      August 4, 2017 1:01 AM MDT

(I've been telling you that for years!)
    ~
      August 4, 2017 6:54 AM MDT

You can probably find one out back of an old abandoned Hippie commune
      August 4, 2017 5:33 AM MDT

So...You want to be a hippie. The most important thing is to make sure your bus has lots of flowers, peace signs and marijuana leaves painted on it. A few protest placards would make a nice touch. It has to be rusty. (They made them that way.) The bed in the back must have fleas. Have lots of spare oil. Once that is complete, take it to any mechanic named Earl. He can fix anything in his back yard. He'll probably charge you a bottle of whiskey and a few buds of weed.
      August 4, 2017 6:21 AM MDT

LMAO Best. Answer. Ever. I shall start my search for Earl posthaste. 
      August 4, 2017 1:59 PM MDT

• Hmm...If I were going to buy a classic like that I would probably buy one that's already been restored out of classic car auto trader or online.
    I would make sure to have it inspected by a certified mechanic before paying anything for it.
    I imagine those vans are kinda rare and pricey though? 
    Good luck. : ) This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at August 4, 2017 2:46 PM MDT
      August 4, 2017 2:18 PM MDT

If you buy one that has already been fully restored, it's going to be in the neighborhood of USD$20,000 or more. If you are savvy and you get one and fix it up on your own, you're probably looking at something in the neighborhood of $15,000, but it really depends what you do to it. You could make one road-worthy for under $10,000. Up front cost is one concern. I couldn't afford to buy one that is already fully and flawlessly restored, but I could purchase a beat up one and make the changes it needs one at a time. There actually are quite a few in various stages of disrepair. There are lots of people like me who get caught up in the nostalgia of them and start making changes, but then realize they're in over their heads  or lose interest. True vintage VW fanatics tend to have several, all at various stages. I've known a few of those types... they get all excited about the new project and then the car just sits because they're working on their other cars or they find a new one that's closer to what they wanted. It's odd, but they collect incomplete cars planning to finish them, and then only part with them when their finances run low or a SO says they have too many cars. lol So, there are lots out there. You just have to be able to spot the diamonds in the rough- to know when rust is or isn't a problem, to be able to look at an engine and know if it will need work or replacement. That is the stuff that I can't do.

Also, vintage VWs tend to be very "simple" cars to work on, comparatively, and they can last seemingly forever. So, by working on one and learning how to care for it myself, I could well have a lifelong vehicle that I can do a lot of the work on, myself. I can do tires, oil, brake pads, and things of the like, but I want to get more into DIY, so the bus would be the perfect opportunity for that. 
      August 4, 2017 3:04 PM MDT

• Wow, you are ambitious.
    I hope you find a great one that doesn't have serious rust or other issues.
    I used to be into buying used vehicles and repairing them and trying to resell them, but I found out that there are seemingly a million things that can be wrong with a used car and the cost of repairs always seemed to eat up any profit I ever made.
    Anyway my point is that old vehicles are a total money pit from the experiences I've had.
    I can't even imagine the cost of trying to restore or make a really old vehicle into a decent daily driver.
    Anyway, knowing you you've definitely done your research and I'm sure you're aware of what you're getting into.
    I think those vans are cool too.
    I really, really hope it goes well for you and you get to see and enjoy your dream come to reality.
    Good luck.: ) 
      August 4, 2017 3:25 PM MDT

ask the place where you would get the bus on how to do that
      August 4, 2017 3:38 PM MDT

Most vehicles have particular weak spots - areas that corrode unseen, parts that wear faster than others, effects of abuse by previous owners, and so on. You might be able to find a handbook giving the specifications and guide-prices of cars, and it may list the main weak points - but the tricky bit might be finding an edition old enough to cover a vehicle whose production stopped decades ago. 

You really need a mechanic experienced in the particular cars to look over your intended purchase so you have some chance that it's not going to be the money pit Truthseeker warns of. It still won't be cheap!

I would avoid the ex-hippy bus, or even worse an ex-surfers' example. Never mind silly attempts at custom paintwork. These are unlikely to have been looked after properly, and one used by followers of marine sports is likely to be badly damaged by sea-water (very corrosive) and sand (highly abrasive).

I have owned two VW caravanettes; one old enough to have had the split windscreen and 6V electrics, and I found them rather thirsty thanks to their old engine design intended for a small car so somewhat below capacity for a van, but very pleasant to drive. Good Luck!
      August 4, 2017 4:11 PM MDT