Active Now

CosmicWunderkind
Malizz
Randy D
my2cents
Discussion » Questions » Religion and Spirituality » Christians disagree with Jesus apparently. What an oddly bizarre thing to realize. Isn't it?

Christians disagree with Jesus apparently. What an oddly bizarre thing to realize. Isn't it?

Per Julie Zauzman of the Washington Post...Christians are more likely to think poverty is caused by lack of effort. More than twice as likely as others in fact. Christians believe in free will, personal responsibility and financial success. They are RIGHT (not left) and they are COMPASSIONATE. Allegedly. Supposedly. Theoretically. But what would Jesus do? What did Jesus say?

LUKE 6:20-21

Jesus said "blessed are you who are poor for yours is the kingdom of God"

So who is right here? Whom do you believe?

Posted - August 4, 2017

Responses

Most Christians don't have a passing acquaintance with Jesus.

They think he is some white guy with long blond hair and blue eyes.

August 4, 2017 2:34 PM MDT

Three people recorded that they saw Jesus, and one mentioned that he had blond hair. 
      August 4, 2017 2:44 PM MDT

• Truth is, the Bible never describes what Jesus looked like. The paintings one sees are only renditions of what the artist "thinks" Jesus looked like. And unless they happen to run across a Polaroid snapshot of Jesus we will never know what He looked until you stand face to face with Him. I should say "if" you stand face to face with Him. Most Christians don't have a passing acquaintance with Jesus. And how would you know that? You can't know that unless you know their hearts. Which is something many claim but fail at because Almighty Creator GOD alone knows our hearts.
      August 4, 2017 3:18 PM MDT

This is probably a more accurate image of Jesus.  It was put together by forensic anthropologists.

Umm, yeah, I think it's much more realistic looking.
      August 5, 2017 9:52 PM MDT

Touche Shar. Thank you for your reply and the graphic and Happy Sunday.
      August 6, 2017 2:22 AM MDT

I have known several very successful people and they all have one thing in common: they don't know how they did it. They only know it took a lot of effort. If someone can't duplicate their success, they assume it's because he is lazy. That is a cultural artifact, to assume that well-being is a personal choice.

Anybody who claims to know what Christians think about anything is full of baloney, since nobody knows any way to be sure if a person is or is not a Christian. Even ministers will admit they are not sure, and lay members generally have no clear idea what they are supposed to believe. At best, your reference only talks about people who PRETEND to be Christians.
      August 4, 2017 2:40 PM MDT

• Who are these "Christians" that you speak of? How do you know that they are Christians? When people continue to make blanket statements they tend to lose credibility. Not to mention the fact that the Washington Compost wouldn't be my first choice if you're looking for truth and credible news.
      August 4, 2017 3:09 PM MDT

not sure why they would
      August 4, 2017 3:57 PM MDT

Christians disagree with Jesus apparently. What an oddly bizarre thing to realize. Isn't it?

======================================================

1- With due respect Christians disagreeing with Jesus isn’t an oddly bizarre thing. Not if you look beyond popular beliefs.

2- You see, Jesus was not a Christian. He never heard of the word Christian or Christianity. He was a Jew who attended the synagogue and preached from the Old Testament.

3- Paul was the foremost Christian. His teachings disagree with those of Jesus. Now that is an oddly bizarre thing. Most don’t realize that, and will in fact even strongly deny it.

4- It was Paul who taught that sin, the so called original sin, entered the world through Adam and left it through Jesus. Jesus never taught those ideas.

5- It was Paul who taught that the law was the cause of sin, that it was nailed to the cross with the crucifixion of Jesus and that no one should become a slave to it again. Jesus taught the opposite. He warned that “Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven" Matthew 5:19

6- It was Paul who said sin sacrifices were a reminder of sin and were no longer necessary. That was never a teaching of Jesus

7- It was Paul who warned that if Jesus was not raised from the dead then your faith is in vain and you are still in your sin. Jesus never taught that.

August 5, 2017 4:38 PM MDT

How could the Christ be a follower of the Christ? 

How about comparing teachings of Jesus to those of Islam? 
    Did Jesus ever murder anyone or approve of the murder of anyone?
    Did Mohammad ever murder anyone or approve of the murder of anyone?

Do you believe what Jesus said about fruits? You often say that Islam is a religion of peace but do the fruits of Muslims really bear that out? Not what you say but what you do.

(Matthew 7:16-20) By their fruits you will recognize them. Never do people gather grapes from thorns or figs from thistles, do they? 17 Likewise, every good tree produces fine fruit, but every rotten tree produces worthless fruit. 18 A good tree cannot bear worthless fruit, nor can a rotten tree produce fine fruit. 19 Every tree not producing fine fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire. 20 Really, then, by their fruits you will recognize those men.
      August 8, 2017 3:53 AM MDT

"How could the Christ be a follower of the Christ?" --------------- Christ should be THE originator and leader of the teachings of Christianity

That was a very good point but unfortunately it was the only point relevant to my post. I think I've given a reasonable response to the point.

August 8, 2017 1:35 PM MDT

Christians believe all of the 27 inspired Christian Greek scriptures. The covenant you keep referring to was only between the Israelites and God, not Muhammad. The Israelites themselves broke the Covanant. The Hebrew scriptures spoke of another covenant to come. Jesus showed that he would fulfill the old Covenant. 

(Exodus 24:4-8) So Moses wrote down all the words of Jehovah. Then he got up early in the morning and built at the foot of the mountain an altar and 12 pillars corresponding to the 12 tribes of Israel. 5 After that he sent young Israelite men, and they offered up burnt offerings and sacrificed bulls as communion sacrifices to Jehovah. 6 Then Moses took half of the blood and put it in bowls, and half the blood he sprinkled on the altar. 7 Then he took the book of the covenant and read it aloud to the people. And they said: “All that Jehovah has spoken we are willing to do, and we will be obedient.” 8 So Moses took the blood and sprinkled it on the people and said: “This is the blood of the covenant that Jehovah has made with you in harmony with all these words.”
    (Deuteronomy 29:1) These are the words of the covenant that Jehovah commanded Moses to make with the people of Israel in the land of Moʹab, in addition to the covenant that he made with them at Hoʹreb.

(Jeremiah 31:31-34) “Look! The days are coming,” declares Jehovah, “when I will make with the house of Israel and with the house of Judah a new covenant. 32 It will not be like the covenant that I made with their forefathers on the day I took hold of their hand to lead them out of the land of Egypt, ‘my covenant that they broke, although I was their true master,’ declares Jehovah.” 33 “For this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days,” declares Jehovah. “I will put my law within them, and in their heart I will write it. And I will become their God, and they will become my people.” 34 “And they will no longer teach each one his neighbor and each one his brother, saying, ‘Know Jehovah!’ for they will all know me, from the least to the greatest of them,” declares Jehovah. “For I will forgive their error, and I will no longer remember their sin.”

(Matthew 5:17-19) “Do not think I came to destroy the Law or the Prophets. I came, not to destroy, but to fulfill. 18 Truly I say to you that sooner would heaven and earth pass away than for one smallest letter or one stroke of a letter to pass away from the Law until all things take place. 19 Whoever, therefore, breaks one of these least commandments and teaches others to do so will be called least in relation to the Kingdom of the heavens. But whoever does them and teaches them will be called great in relation to the Kingdom of the heavens.
    (Luke 16:16, 17) “The Law and the Prophets were until John. From then on, the Kingdom of God is being declared as good news, and every sort of person is pressing forward toward it. 17 Indeed, it is easier for heaven and earth to pass away than for one stroke of a letter of the Law to go unfulfilled.

(Acts 9:4-16) and he fell to the ground and heard a voice say to him: “Saul, Saul, why are you persecuting me?” 5 He asked: “Who are you, Lord?” He said: “I am Jesus, whom you are persecuting. 6 But get up and go into the city, and you will be told what you must do.” 7 Now the men who were traveling with him stood speechless, hearing, indeed, the sound of a voice but seeing no one. 8 Saul then got up from the ground, and though his eyes were open, he could see nothing. So they led him by the hand and brought him into Damascus. 9 And for three days he did not see anything, and he neither ate nor drank. 10 There was a disciple named An·a·niʹas in Damascus, and the Lord said to him in a vision: “An·a·niʹas!” He said: “Here I am, Lord.” 11 The Lord said to him: “Get up, go to the street called Straight, and look for a man named Saul, from Tarsus, at the house of Judas. For look! he is praying, 12 and in a vision he has seen a man named An·a·niʹas come in and lay his hands on him so that he may recover sight.” 13 But An·a·niʹas answered: “Lord, I have heard from many about this man, about all the harm he did to your holy ones in Jerusalem. 14 And here he has authority from the chief priests to arrest all those calling on your name.” 15 But the Lord said to him: “Go! because this man is a chosen vessel to me to bear my name to the nations as well as to kings and the sons of Israel. 16 For I will show him plainly how many things he must suffer for my name.”

Why do you always ignore what Jesus said about righteous fruits?
    Applying your logic about Jesus and Paul, how valid is anything that Muhammad said sense God himself didn't say what Muhammad said?

Doesn't this negate all sects of Islam sense they all seem to be willing to kill each other when their government or sect says to?
    (John 13:35) By this all will know that you are my disciples—if you have love among yourselves.”

This post was edited by texasescimo at August 9, 2017 9:39 AM MDT
      August 9, 2017 9:36 AM MDT

I don't know what any of that has to do with my post, but I did find one relevant comment, "Applying your logic about Jesus and Paul, how valid is anything that Muhammad said sense God himself didn't say what Muhammad said?" 

First, I don't see the relationship between Jesus and Paul in the same light as that between God and Mohammed. So the comparison is not valid right there. Secondly if a saying of Mohammed was discovered to be in contradiction to that of God Muslims would have no hesitation in throwing out the reported saying of Mohammed.
      August 9, 2017 12:47 PM MDT

Muhammad:
    Quran 8:12 [Remember] when your Lord inspired to the angels, "I am with you, so strengthen those who have believed. I will cast terror into the hearts of those who disbelieved, so strike [them] upon the necks and strike from them every fingertip."

Inspired of God:
    (Matthew 5:44) However, I say to you: Continue to love your enemies and to pray for those who persecute you,
    (Romans 12:17-21) Return evil for evil to no one. Take into consideration what is fine from the viewpoint of all men. 18 If possible, as far as it depends on you, be peaceable with all men. 19 Do not avenge yourselves, beloved, but yield place to the wrath; for it is written: “‘Vengeance is mine; I will repay,’ says Jehovah.” 20 But “if your enemy is hungry, feed him; if he is thirsty, give him something to drink; for by doing this you will heap fiery coals on his head.” 21 Do not let yourself be conquered by the evil, but keep conquering the evil with the good.

August 9, 2017 2:54 PM MDT

Do you realise what you've done? You've quoted from the HQ and attributed it to Mohammed and quoted from the Bible and attributed it to God. And you're presenting that as an example to me of where Mohammed contradicted God!!! Isn't that a bit too bizarre?

It's a bit like a person saying to a French guy that the Finance Minister of France has contradicted his boss, and then as evidence the person produces a quote that the person attributes to the French Finance Minister and a quote that the person attributes to the American President. I think the French guy would be speechless. The apparent insanity would render it pointless to start his response from anywhere.
      August 9, 2017 5:58 PM MDT

It seems as though we both agree that the Jews are no longer God's chosen people. Of the following scriptures after the Mosaic law was done away with, which quotes look like they are from a loving God?
    Islam is often referred to the religion of peace. Who's words really promote peace?
      August 10, 2017 6:52 PM MDT

Not exactly my understanding. Let me clarify

1-"It seems as though we both agree that the Jews are no longer God's chosen people." -------- I prefer to think that all people are God's chosen people and that the door to salvation has not been closed on any. God does not forsake any race of people and that He sent guides to all people that ever existed. 

2- "Of the following scriptures after the Mosaic law was done away with, which quotes look like they are from a loving God?" -------------- I prefer to regard all scripture that has not been interfered with to be from the loving God.

3- "Islam is often referred to the religion of peace. Who's words really promote peace?" ---------- Islam means submission to the will of God. It means not doing one's own will but doing the will of God. Doing the will of God means living by His laws not man-made laws that replace His laws.

August 10, 2017 10:49 PM MDT

So you don't believe that God ever had a special covenant with the Jews?

(Exodus 24:4-8) So Moses wrote down all the words of Jehovah. Then he got up early in the morning and built at the foot of the mountain an altar and 12 pillars corresponding to the 12 tribes of Israel. 5 After that he sent young Israelite men, and they offered up burnt offerings and sacrificed bulls as communion sacrifices to Jehovah. 6 Then Moses took half of the blood and put it in bowls, and half the blood he sprinkled on the altar. 7 Then he took the book of the covenant and read it aloud to the people. And they said: “All that Jehovah has spoken we are willing to do, and we will be obedient.” 8 So Moses took the blood and sprinkled it on the people and said: “This is the blood of the covenant that Jehovah has made with you in harmony with all these words.”
    (Deuteronomy 29:1) These are the words of the covenant that Jehovah commanded Moses to make with the people of Israel in the land of Moʹab, in addition to the covenant that he made with them at Hoʹreb.

(Exodus 19:3-6) Then Moses went up to the true God, and Jehovah called to him from the mountain, saying: “This is what you are to say to the house of Jacob and to tell the Israelites, 4 ‘You have seen for yourselves what I did to the Egyptians, in order to carry you on wings of eagles and bring you to myself. 5 Now if you will strictly obey my voice and keep my covenant, you will certainly become my special property out of all peoples, for the whole earth belongs to me. 6 You will become to me a kingdom of priests and a holy nation.’ These are the words that you are to say to the Israelites.”

(Deuteronomy 7:6) For you are a holy people to Jehovah your God, and Jehovah your God has chosen you to become his people, his special property, out of all the peoples who are on the face of the earth.
    (Deuteronomy 10:15) But only to your forefathers did Jehovah draw close and express his love, and he has chosen you, their offspring, out of all the peoples, as you are today.
    (Malachi 3:17) “And they will be mine,” says Jehovah of armies, “in the day when I produce a special property. I will show them compassion, just as a man shows compassion to his son who serves him.

(Acts 10:34, 35) At this Peter began to speak, and he said: “Now I truly understand that God is not partial, 35 but in every nation the man who fears him and does what is right is acceptable to him.

You can claim that any scriptures you want have been interfered with. There are other writings not included in the Bible that were written with a false stylus as it were. Just because the Bible included verses that spoke of those false scribes doesn't mean the writings of the false scribes were included in the Bible. Funny that you prefer to believe in terror scriptures rather than peaceful scriptures. From the world wide fruits of those that follow Sura 8:12, it's obviously not from the God of Jesus.
    Quran 8:12 [Remember] when your Lord inspired to the angels, "I am with you, so strengthen those who have believed. I will cast terror into the hearts of those who disbelieved, so strike [them] upon the necks and strike from them every fingertip."

(Matthew 5:44) However, I say to you: Continue to love your enemies and to pray for those who persecute you,
    (Romans 12:17-21) Return evil for evil to no one. Take into consideration what is fine from the viewpoint of all men. 18 If possible, as far as it depends on you, be peaceable with all men. 19 Do not avenge yourselves, beloved, but yield place to the wrath; for it is written: “‘Vengeance is mine; I will repay,’ says Jehovah.” 20 But “if your enemy is hungry, feed him; if he is thirsty, give him something to drink; for by doing this you will heap fiery coals on his head.” 21 Do not let yourself be conquered by the evil, but keep conquering the evil with the good.
      August 11, 2017 6:48 AM MDT

If you want to believe in a God that cared more about one race of people over others that's your choice.

My choice is to believe that God is the creator of all humans and as such loves the whole of humanity. If He loves the whole of humanity He wants the best for the whole of humanity. That being the case He would not have waited till Mohammed, or Jesus or Moses were born to send His guidance. He must have very obviously sent guides to all humans that ever existed wherever they existed. I'm just explaining my thinking here so that you see how it makes sense and how I'm most unlikely to change my understanding unless I come across something that makes even better sense. I believe God gave us rational minds so that we can work out and choose that which makes most sense.

The rest of your post is evidence of you practicing the opposite of what you keep preaching. You preach "Don't cherry pick" but your post is full of cherry picking. You forget that I could do the same if I wanted to.

Jesus, btw, was a Jew who believed in the laws of Moses and the God of Moses . The God of the Hebrew scriptures who gave all those wonderful commands in it. 
      August 11, 2017 12:06 PM MDT

That's funny coming from someone that believes:

Does your God equally care for those he is strengthening and those of whom he is terrorizing?
      August 11, 2017 5:55 PM MDT

You're free to conflate race with rebellion/aggression if you want. I see them as separate.
      August 11, 2017 6:11 PM MDT

Don't Muslims believe that Muhammad was somehow special because of his relationship with Moses and Ishmael and Ishmael was special due to his relationship with Abraham? 
      August 12, 2017 2:06 PM MDT

[True believers of God say] "We make no discrimination between any of His [God's] messengers" HQ 2:285

"and Mohammed is nothing but a messenger [of God] Numerous were the messengers who passed away before him" HQ 3:144

"Say [to the people O Mohammed]: "Most certainly I am just a mortal man like all of you."" HQ 18:110

August 12, 2017 2:42 PM MDT

Why do Muslims stress the blood relation of Muhammad to Moses and Ishmael?
    [In the Book of Deuteronomy, Moses relays what God told him, “I will raise them up a Prophet from among their brethren, like unto thee (Moses), and will put My words in his mouth; and will speak unto them all that I shall command him.” First, note the phrase ‘from among their brethren’.

Ishmael and Isaac were both brothers and they were the children of Prophet Abraham. When Prophet Moses, may peace and blessings be upon him, was quoting God as promising to send a prophet like Moses the verse says ‘from among their brethren’. Who are the brethren of the Israelites? They are, simply, the Ishmaelites. This is a clear and straightforward indication that the prophet who is going to be ‘like unto Moses’ from the brethren of the Israelites is Prophet Muhammad, may peace and blessing be upon him.]

Why does the Quran seem to separate the Jews from others if there was never a covenant with the Jews? Why does it seem that the Quran implies that scriptures were given specifically to the Jews?

Quran 2:146

Those to whom We gave the Scripture (Jews and Christians) recognise him (Muhammad SAW or the Ka'bah at

Quran 16:124 

MUFTI TAQI USMANI

The Sabbath was prescribed only for those people (i.e. Jews) who differed in it, and your Lord will certainly judge between them on the Day of Resurrection in those matters in which they used to differ.

This post was edited by texasescimo at August 12, 2017 3:06 PM MDT
      August 12, 2017 3:01 PM MDT