Active Now

Malizz
Spunky

True or false?

Is it important to you whether or not your religious beliefs are actually true?

Posted - August 13, 2017

Responses

Is it important to you whether or not your religious beliefs are actually true?

================================================

I think it SHOULD be important to ALL of us that our beliefs, religious or otherwise, are NOT false. The more important the beliefs or the bigger the implications, impact or consequences of those beliefs the more important it is that they SHOULD NOT be false.

If we know certain beliefs to be false but still hold on to them then, even if there are no dangerous or disastrous consequences of holding on to them, we'd just be fooling ourselves by holding on to them, and holding back our own progress and development.
      August 13, 2017 5:55 AM MDT

Thanks Clurt, personally I would prefer to use the word suspect, as in "I suspect this to be true" until such times as a thing is proven to me and I can then believe it.
      August 13, 2017 8:48 AM MDT

interesting concept MC

I suspect if you suspected something to be true you'd act on that suspicion [for example, "I suspect we have to turn right now"], otherwise you might as well as not have that suspicion, is that true?
      August 13, 2017 10:01 AM MDT

As it is only a suspicion I would most surely check it out before turning. 
      August 13, 2017 3:07 PM MDT

• Most of us hold onto beliefs because we believe them to be true. Obviously not all religious beliefs can be true. If I'm part of religion A and I believe that religion A is the only true religion and religion B believes the same thing about theirs, obviously at least one of us has to be wrong. But considering that most metaphysical beliefs are not able to be proved, people can continue believing them even if there's always a chance they could be wrong. 
      August 13, 2017 3:47 PM MDT

So in that case it is not important that they be true. You are correct, they cannot all be right but one thing they all have in common is that they can ALL be wrong.
      August 13, 2017 3:56 PM MDT

• It's important that you believe them to be true, let's put it that way. I couldn't believe in something that I highly suspected of being false. 
      August 13, 2017 3:58 PM MDT

Sadly many do hang on to their beliefs regardless of how many facts contradict that belief. You can have your own beliefs but you cannot have your own facts.
      August 13, 2017 4:12 PM MDT

I really don't care what people believe to be true or not.
    I say what ever gets them thru the day is great as long as they don't try to push it in my face.
    I may find faults in some belief systems, but it's up to people to believe in them or not.
      August 13, 2017 4:37 PM MDT

true
      August 13, 2017 5:16 PM MDT

Pearl a 'true' does not answer an either or not question, so not quite sure of what it is you are saying.
      August 13, 2017 6:40 PM MDT

baIO. oOPS. Typo. My answer is , no.
      August 13, 2017 5:19 PM MDT