Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Emotions » Is it ok to maintain happiness when pain is all around you?

Is it ok to maintain happiness when pain is all around you?

Posted - August 13, 2017

Responses

If true, then it seems to me that a person's moods are then dependent on other people's actions/behaviors.
    No thanks -- I've spent too much of my life basing my feelings on others' behaviors (as in, "If they'd only behave the way I want them to, I could be happy"). Oh - - and I had good reason for a long portion of my life to want others to behave differently but that way of living led to a way of life that is a bad habit for me.

But, more specifically to your question, I think it's OK - - if there is that much pain everywhere, the happiness could be a lifesaver to everyone involved.

Eh -- I'm not making sense This post was edited by WelbyQuentin at August 13, 2017 2:06 PM MDT
      August 13, 2017 12:54 PM MDT

You are making perfect sense WelbyQuentin. My son reminds me that you need to love yourself and be comfortable in the knowledge that no matter how traumatic life can be, sometimes there is nothing you can do about it, so therefore, it would be a waste of time for you to worry and let  it affect your happiness. Easier said then done. But with practice it can be done. Living in the Now helps. Im still practicing, but its not easy. 

I think your right about happiness being a lifesaver for everyone involved. I would hope to think so. ;)
      August 13, 2017 1:01 PM MDT

Everything your son says, I try to do in my life. You're right, it's not always easy to do.
    :)

Thanks for an Asker's Pick, carbonproduct!
    :) This post was edited by WelbyQuentin at August 13, 2017 2:43 PM MDT
      August 13, 2017 1:16 PM MDT

Yes, definitely it's ok. There's some evidence that remaining cheerful is associated with a better outcome in terms of health and ability to deal with the things life frequently throws at us... Can't do any harm anyway. 
      August 13, 2017 1:07 PM MDT

Yes i agree. Health is maintained when the ability to remain positive is achieved. THank you so much for your wise imput Adaydreambeliever. ;)
      August 13, 2017 2:45 PM MDT

Inner happiness should be a staple within.
    NOT A BOISTEROUS TYPE in the midst of
    pain and suffering around you but a confidence and
    an inner awareness of peace and calm while being
    in an environment of compassion and empathy that
    is being projected will emit healing
    to those around that people will feel
    and perhaps bring some happiness in the midst of suffering...
    ....very healing.
      August 13, 2017 2:04 PM MDT

How beautiful. Very healing words Baba. Very insightful and enlightening. I agree with all of what you see. Thank you so much. I wish i could give you best answer as well. :)
      August 13, 2017 2:43 PM MDT

I TRY to remain happy no matter the circumstance.  It is not only a choice for me, but a matter of maintaining my health, as I am epileptic.  If I let other people's behaviors affect what is in myself I would be in a constant state of having seizures.  I learned many years ago I need to watch my own emotions as they affect my health.  So yes, it is fine to choose to be happy although you are in the midst of chaos and pain
      August 13, 2017 3:09 PM MDT

I agree. Not only for the sake of my own happyness but for the sake of my health. I have seizures as well, and stress causes me to have more of them. THank you SA (SuperA) ;)
      August 13, 2017 4:24 PM MDT

August 13, 2017 6:52 PM MDT

Why wouldn't it be?  Any positive that alleviates or helps alleviate a negative is a good thing. 
    ~
      August 13, 2017 3:48 PM MDT

Yes, but sometimes the situation is so traumatic that remaining happy makes it look like your being insensitive to the pain. I dont see it that way though. I think keeping inner peach and happiness intact helps you deal with trauma so that you can stay in tact and remain whole. THank you Randy D. ;)
      August 13, 2017 4:27 PM MDT

• It's okay to try. It's easier said than done, though. 
      August 13, 2017 3:56 PM MDT

That is for sure. Thank you Nevan B. ;)

i dont see why not
      August 13, 2017 4:25 PM MDT

I completely agree with you .  THank you pearl. ;)