Active Now

ENG / LLVF - formerly of AB
Randy D
Zack
my2cents
Discussion » Questions » Environment » Are these hurricanes God's way of restoring the wetlands?

Are these hurricanes God's way of restoring the wetlands?

Posted - September 2, 2017

Responses

• No.  The Earth environment exist in a metastable condition and when equilibrium is disturbed there are severe reactions as natural physical and chemical forces drive towards homeostasis.  duh!
      September 2, 2017 1:14 PM MDT

Easy for you to say. Also (exists)
      September 2, 2017 1:20 PM MDT

Isn't the earth already 75 percent water?

What do you mean restore?

The land is already pretty wet.

September 2, 2017 1:17 PM MDT

Restore to the original conditions of them before humans decided to drain them and build upon them.
      September 2, 2017 1:28 PM MDT

Do you mean like 200-years ago, or 2,000-years ago, or 20,000-years ago, or 2,000,000-years ago ?
      September 2, 2017 2:07 PM MDT

When humans first learned how to drain a swamp. Several millenia ago I would guess.
      September 2, 2017 2:11 PM MDT

Nature is going to do what nature is going to do irrespective of what humankind may want. So the trick is not in draining the swamp. The trick is in maintaining that drainage. Take the Dutch who've "reclaimed" many hectares of land from the Zuder Zee (haven't seen that name in a while, I'll bet). They have to work tirelessly to keep that land dry. The sword cuts the other way too. Many farmers build ponds on their property only to see them "reclaimed" back to dry land if not constantly maintained. 
      September 3, 2017 10:54 AM MDT

Zuiderzee. One word. In other words DON'T BUILD FARMS ON A FLOOD PLAIN.
      September 4, 2017 8:03 AM MDT

Sorry, it was separate words at one time as I remember from grade school geography. It was actually three separate words "De Zuyder Zee" which is why I mentioned that you probably hadn't seen that name in a while. I also remember such obscure geopolitical names as Rhodesia and East Pakistan.
      September 4, 2017 10:19 AM MDT

Rhodesia was hardly "obscure"! It was the name given by the British Empire to what is now Zimbabwe, a sizeable, and until Robert Mugabe's lot took control, prosperous, country.

September 4, 2017 11:00 AM MDT

I didn't say it WAS obscure, I said that it IS obscure, which it is, hasn't been used since, when, 1980?. Try to pay attention to tense. The name does herald back to a very dark period in the history of Africa south of the equator though, back when old Cecil and his brothers basically raped that part of the continent in the name of the Union Jack. "Good" times for those people, that continues to this day. 

And the British Empire? What's that? Oh wait, thats the "Empire" that brought much pain and suffering to indigenous peoples around the world. All in the "glorious" name of diamonds, gold, and tea (tea?). And let's not forget one of that "Empire's" last gasps in setting the stage for WWII with the Treaty of Versailles. Not sure I would want to relive those past "glories"?

But if you think that Rhodesia is not an obscure name, except, perhaps, to dog lovers [a Zimbabwean Ridgeback, REALLY? I don't think so.)]) Just ask any millennial about it. I bet most don't even know that Zimbabwe is a country in Africa, let alone its historical significance. 

And while you're pondering the subject of political pule of that area don't forget Mugambe's "lovely" wife Grace. She may be even worse that he is. (Wasn't she just accused of beating up a South African model?)
      September 4, 2017 11:57 AM MDT

Of course not. They would have happened anyway. They are going through even worse times in the Far East with a very severe monsoon, bringing floods and a high death-toll.
      September 2, 2017 4:58 PM MDT

No. Punishment for destroying them.
      September 2, 2017 4:59 PM MDT

I live in an area that was once called The Great Black Swamp.  Makes great farmland when drained. 
      September 2, 2017 7:14 PM MDT

He probably should have thought of all the bad chemicals he's putting into the environment by doing that. God sure is dumb with his little plans sometimes.
      September 2, 2017 7:22 PM MDT

God didn't put the chemicals int it...humans did.
      September 4, 2017 8:05 AM MDT

And God would be making it worse by washing even more chemicals into the environment by flooding cities. That's why he needs to think and control his temper. But that's just assuming he's real and it's not just nature doing its thing.
      September 4, 2017 8:39 AM MDT