Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Environment » Did you grow up in a small town and what was your reputation in that town?

Did you grow up in a small town and what was your reputation in that town?

I grew up in a small town.
It was a very industrial, working class kinda place.
I was wild as a teenager in that town and that reputation lives on because people I talk to on Facebook still talk about stupid things I did when I was 17.
I could message a woman  20 years after highschool and the first thing she says is "oh, I was just telling people about how you bought me beer as a grad present and you got lost on the way to pick me up and you drank some of the beer."
No matter how much I try to distance myself from my past it never goes away. LoL!

Did you have a reputation in your small town?

Posted - September 5, 2017

Responses

Not the entire town but in my high school.  I was known as the cynic.  Also, a few friends labeled me an insane driver.  I don't know why.  I only decided to scare the crap out of them by driving 50 mph on a winding back road that had a ravine off to one side.  lol.  I still remember how much fun I had listening to them screaming at me.  Did I mention I can be a bit of an a$$ at times?  
      September 5, 2017 5:19 PM MDT

No need.
      September 5, 2017 8:02 PM MDT

You know it already.  He doesn't yet.  Forewarned is forearmed.
      September 5, 2017 8:09 PM MDT

It's all over the bathroom walls. The man can read. And pee.
      September 5, 2017 8:10 PM MDT

• LoL, Sounds like you and I had similar driving styles.
    I woke up one morning and my mom was angry and standing over me with the phone in her hand.
    She said "It's the f ing cops on the phone for you!"
    I guess someone had reported me for driving erratically?
    There was many instances like that.
    I loved to drive my classmates around at lunch and do stupid things to show off.
    Then the cops started following me to school in the morning as soon as I'd get into town.
    I was told that I was on their list??
    Oh well, we live and learn.
    Thanks Harry. : )

September 5, 2017 8:46 PM MDT

I'm glad you learned. I'm still cynical and I still drive like a maniac.  
      September 5, 2017 8:54 PM MDT

People like to joke that I have bodies hidden in the crawlspace because I'm so quiet and unemotional like a psycho.
      September 5, 2017 7:21 PM MDT

• Aww...that sucks.
    Usually the psychopaths are actually quite personable and sometimes well known in the community.
    Gacy was a well known guy I believe and Bundy actually worked at a call center saving lives talking to people on a crisis line if you can believe it.
    Manson was the outspoken leader of the Manson family so actually you being quiet shouldn't be considered psycho.
    Hang in there.
    Thanks. : )

This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at September 5, 2017 9:54 PM MDT
      September 5, 2017 8:58 PM MDT

Atleast people are more likely to be nice to me. Don't want to take chances with the possibly psychotic killer.
      September 6, 2017 6:22 AM MDT

• "I grew up in a trailer park, which is like a small town, and I never had any fun, so I doubt I had a reputation."
      September 5, 2017 7:29 PM MDT

• Well that's too bad that you never got to have any fun Alf.
    I hope you get to have lots of fun now to make up for it.
    Thanks. : )
      September 5, 2017 9:22 PM MDT

Hey ALF, I posted that song you posted before as part of an answer to this question.
      September 6, 2017 6:07 AM MDT

• I was just looking at that. :))  I don't remember what all I posted with the song before, but the first time I heard "Our Town" was on the TV series "Northern Exposure."  They used it as the closing song and Iris added an extra verse just for the show.  Since then, she has added another verse and it looks like the song is completed ... as it appears she finally leaves town.  

Good song ... and it can make a person wish they'd seen at least a little of that kind of life.
      September 6, 2017 6:28 AM MDT

Wish I had a life like that growing up. I lived in bad parts of Dallas until I was 14, Oak Cliff and Pleasant Grove.
      September 6, 2017 7:42 AM MDT

• I worked out of Lancaster, TX. for seven years, but big cities have never interested me much ... especially as a kid.
      September 6, 2017 8:04 AM MDT

Just another nerd in the 'burbs.

September 5, 2017 8:09 PM MDT

• LoL, those are some wild glasses.
    How was life in the suburbs?

September 5, 2017 9:24 PM MDT

• I spent the first 15 years of my life in a larger city...not a small town. I  mostly stayed out of trouble in My early years,  so I don't think I  had much of reputation.... i didn't go nutz till about 19ish:)
      September 5, 2017 7:33 PM MDT

• LoL!
    We kinda grew up opposite.
    I did a lifetimes worth of partying before I was even 21 and then I got into a relationship and settled down and didn't even drink for like 14 years.
    I wasn't single at all in my 20's until now.
    You sound like you were wild in your 20s huh?

September 5, 2017 9:13 PM MDT

• LOL:) I guess we kinda did:) I was more into sports And dance in my early teen years. I had one drink underage I think ....then when I was 19 I got into a relationship with a nutcase and went off rails for a couple of years:/ ... then I met someone amazing .....and was married most my twenties also... now I'm back to off rails again :)
      September 5, 2017 9:25 PM MDT

• Hey we both ended up kinda off our rails, LoL!
    So that's all that matters. : )
      September 5, 2017 9:29 PM MDT

• lol :) true that.

https://youtu.be/NRtvqT_wMeY

September 5, 2017 9:31 PM MDT

• Cool, I used to listen to Soul Asylum sometimes.
    That's quite a video about runaways and missing people.
    How are you doing?

September 5, 2017 9:37 PM MDT

• I'm doing well , thank you :) guessing you at work cos I remember you said work nights. I liked that band too. I liked that other one song more about frustrated incorporated. Words going off rails made me think of that song though:)
      September 5, 2017 9:41 PM MDT