Active Now

Danilo_G
Malizz
Shuhak
Discussion » Questions » Communication » How many times do you say "God" during the day?

How many times do you say "God" during the day?

When too many things happen that I can't believe are happening, I call out the word, "God". It's not cursing. It's like "God, please help me understand this". Today has been one of those days. How about you? 

Posted - September 5, 2017

Responses

I have pictures of God all over my house, my car and I talk to God all day long.  And sometimes I do swear.  God is my buddy, He can handle it.

September 5, 2017 10:51 PM MDT

@Shar, you're a lady of faith. :-))
      September 6, 2017 7:45 AM MDT

Usually several times a day like when something bad happens -if i forget to tie my shoelaces and trip over them or stub my toe I always say: "if there was a God that wouldn't happen!"
      September 6, 2017 1:21 AM MDT

• "Oh, I don't know ... a hundred?"

"God ... not another one!"
      September 6, 2017 2:07 AM MDT

@Alf, if you are on the computer---yes! 
      September 6, 2017 7:46 AM MDT

Every time I speak to him.
      September 6, 2017 11:10 AM MDT

I assume we all have phrases that we are used to using.  The cultural milieu that taught me such expressions frequently used "G** damn it" as the usual phrase.

A few years ago, after contemplating the 2nd commandment, I decided to eliminate that phrase from my repertoire. It was relatively simple to do, although I wonder whether "f***" or "sh**" (give me a break--"dagnabit" doesn't have much punch value) was an improvement for those around me, but I suspect God may have appreciated my intent.  (Although I imagine He also might be smiling in amusement as I relate this story.

As a Catholic and believing in a triune God, and also being used to attributing various functions to each of the 3 persons therein. So interestingly enough, when I pray, I frequently use "Lord"---and thus infrequently use the word "God." 

Just an anecdote, but it has resulted in a change in my prayer life (for the better, I think) and I am intrigued to see where this may lead. This post was edited by tom jackson at September 7, 2017 10:32 PM MDT
      September 6, 2017 11:59 AM MDT

From an early age, I was taught not to call Him unless I wanted His attention (notwithstanding the fact that He's always paying attention, but I digress), so I don't utter His name vainly or frivolously.

~
      October 7, 2017 9:41 PM MDT