Active Now

ENG / LLVF - formerly of AB
Discussion » Questions » Computers and the Internet » If the internet was designed to survive a nuclear war why is it what we pay for is watered down not to survive a hurricane?

If the internet was designed to survive a nuclear war why is it what we pay for is watered down not to survive a hurricane?

Posted - September 9, 2017

Responses

We bought a generator in the event we lose power.  We better not be watered down by our internet company. WE are prepared. They better be.
      September 9, 2017 5:06 PM MDT

Because Internet Service providers have a much smaller budget than the military does. They can not afford Uninterruptible Power Supplies and redundancy. This post was edited by JakobA the unAmerican. at September 10, 2017 8:03 AM MDT
      September 9, 2017 8:17 PM MDT

They make money hand over fist and missing an opportunity to charge more. They could call it the "Platinum in case of nuke Plan". This post was edited by O-uknow at September 10, 2017 8:06 AM MDT
      September 10, 2017 8:04 AM MDT

cheaper??
      September 9, 2017 9:34 PM MDT

Aye, indeed but are we getting what we pay for with those hidden fees? We pay road maintenance tax in this state and still they blow your tires out. This post was edited by O-uknow at September 10, 2017 9:28 AM MDT
      September 10, 2017 8:08 AM MDT

I have a shelter on my property with plenty of food and water to last a long time plus a solar power generator but there's going to be a nuclear war my ISP had better keep the internet running because otherwise it'll get really boring down there!

My Father-in-law lives in Florida and my hubby told me the hurricane shelter in his retirement community doesn't have wifi so I'm guessing he might get a little bored for the next few days.

September 9, 2017 9:42 PM MDT

Board games and playing cards help a lot and are more fun than a blank screen. And remember to set up a leaking sink or something for hubby to spend his time fixing
      September 10, 2017 9:06 AM MDT