Active Now

Danilo_G
Malizz
Shuhak
Discussion » Questions » Legal » Could you live with a rule forbidding you to live within a mile of any body of water? Wouldn't being a mile away lessen flood danger?

Could you live with a rule forbidding you to live within a mile of any body of water? Wouldn't being a mile away lessen flood danger?

Posted - September 10, 2017

Responses

Who then would have all of that beach front property? Such madness ;)
      September 10, 2017 8:17 AM MDT

Isn't life more important than a great view? I dunno O. We had Hurricane Harvey in Texas. We now have Irma pummeling Florida after it did much devastation on many islands. Jose and Katia are right behind and I think Jose is another Cat 4 hurricane and I read yesterday that Katia already did some damage in Mexico. It just seems that since we can't stop the ocean from coming ashore we should build father back where it is less likely to reach us. A wild thought. Thank you for your reply and Happy Sunday!  :)
      September 10, 2017 8:26 AM MDT

"It just seems that since we can't stop the ocean from coming ashore we should build father back where it is less likely to reach us. "

Who is "we"? There is no group collective or hive mind. Some do while others don't. The answer to why, again goes back to FREE WILL.
      September 10, 2017 8:30 AM MDT

I thought we were having a conversation. Clearly we are not. My error.
      September 10, 2017 8:34 AM MDT

The conversation about FREE WILL has been had many times on this site and is the reason behind much of human behavior. What is there to discuss? You can make unpopular rules and people will make ways to break them if those rules stop their FREE WILL. This post was edited by O-uknow at September 10, 2017 2:20 PM MDT
      September 10, 2017 8:39 AM MDT

No. The gov should not make laws telling people where they should live. They could pass a law stating that people who buy this property are not eligible for FEMA assistance  and must acknowledge that fact at time of purchase.  
    But regardless of where you live, everywhere  has some sort of natural disaster that is common. 
    West Coast..earthquakes,  mud slides, fires, flooding 
    East coast...hurricanes, flooding
    Middle of the country...tornadoes, flooding 

Do we tell people in CA where they can build?
    Or other places where and what they can build?

September 10, 2017 9:15 AM MDT

Government is not even trying to. Many of our officials are the ones who own or at least enjoy beach front property. Just look at Chris Christie not long ago this year. I might add this is also a reason not to expect exclusion from disaster relief.
      September 10, 2017 2:56 PM MDT

There are 95,471 miles of shore line in the US. One mile in, and you lose 95,471 square miles of the US (approximately) Where would these people go?  Move them onto farm land?
      September 10, 2017 10:00 AM MDT

Read the terms of your flood insurance. 
      September 10, 2017 2:20 PM MDT