Active Now

Malizz
Shuhak
Discussion » Questions » Religion and Spirituality » I do not understand the concept of 'spirituality'. Can someone give me a short, understandable, non-dictionarry meaning?

I do not understand the concept of 'spirituality'. Can someone give me a short, understandable, non-dictionarry meaning?

Thank you.

Posted - September 10, 2017

Responses

To me, it's the feeling of connection. For some, their connection is to a specific "god". For others, it's nothing that specific. It's more of an acknowledgement that everything on earth is connected, and that there is some kind of force that is guiding this connection. 

I once engaged in a conversation with someone who said "I'm an atheist; I don't have a 'soul'."
    And for this person, I have to say, I kind of thought she was right. She was completely self absorbed and self serving, and didn't care how her actions impacted anyone or anything else on the planet. Her entire purpose in life was to make herself happy.

It's definitely a hard concept to put into words.

September 10, 2017 9:03 AM MDT

For me it is an inner sense of well-being that can develop after a hard honest day's work when I have accomplished something in a positive sense; can have a healing effect for me also. 

I remember one time I was in a place and a small group of people came in just from a  church service and sat down chatting a bit. I could feel a sensation or 'glow' of spirituality among them..  I don't believe in supernatural spirituality myself -but whatever works. 

This post was edited by Kittigate at September 10, 2017 1:42 PM MDT
      September 10, 2017 9:43 AM MDT

IMHO
         There is a oneness in life.
    This oneness permeates everything alive.
    To be aware of this and to live 
    in respect and awareness of this 
    is Spirituality.
         When we are living within this awareness
    we respect life, we are aware of compassion and empathy,
    we experience the depth of love,
    and are aware of this presence within everyone and all
    of life.
         When a drop of the ocean is separate from the ocean
    we see it as being separate. But when it joins the ocean it becomes the ocean
    because it always had all of the properties of the ocean.
         Similarly we are a drop in the ocean of consciousness
    Having all of the properties of that ocean is the oneness of life.

Anyway, that's my take on Spirituality...

September 10, 2017 11:06 AM MDT

Q "I do not understand the concept of 'spirituality'. Can someone give me a short, understandable, non-dictionarry meaning?"

Here's one short, but maybe incomplete, introduction to spirituality and one, just one, of many ways of plugging into it.

November 4, 2017 7:48 AM MDT

The first one explained some of it. The second one is too bizarre to me.
      November 4, 2017 1:10 PM MDT

Fully agree with you on your first point, "The first one explained some of it" that's why I said it maybe an incomplete, introduction to spirituality.

i can understand you finding the door into spirituality shown in the second video "too bizarre". It is linked to Rumi, the 13th century Persian poet, dervish and Sufi mystic who is regarded as one of the greatest spiritual masters and poetical intellects. The whirling dervishes are very popular among European tourists to Turkey. However, as I said that is one, just one, of many ways of plugging into spirituality. People find spirituality in a very wide range of things ranging from monasticism where one completely cuts oneself off from the "real" world to meditating alone in a room, or focusing intently on a sunset, a landscape or a tree.
      November 4, 2017 4:24 PM MDT

A "good" definition contains a genus and a specific difference.

Since I cannot be that precise, I will simply "beg the question" and suggest that it is a concept to be understood rather than a word to be defined.

Recognizing that I have contributed little to this discussion, I now move on to other questions. This post was edited by tom jackson at November 4, 2017 5:52 PM MDT
      November 4, 2017 5:50 PM MDT