Active Now

Malizz
Zack
Discussion » Questions » Religion and Spirituality » I will never poke fun at Scientology again. Because? Evangelicals believe that the world is 6,000 years old. They BELIEVE this.

I will never poke fun at Scientology again. Because? Evangelicals believe that the world is 6,000 years old. They BELIEVE this.

Posted - September 12, 2017

Responses

I met a man at an AA meeting once along time ago who believed the world was flat. I am not lying. He actually believed the world was flat. I didnt want to argue with him. Would you?
      September 12, 2017 12:53 PM MDT

There is a car in a town near here that we see sometimes that has written on it that the world is flat and that he has proof. I kinda took it as a joke. A friend of mine has had religious conversations with the man several times and the man actually really does believe it. Sad.
      September 12, 2017 3:37 PM MDT

I guess they never rode in a plane.
      September 12, 2017 6:14 PM MDT

I asked my cousin in Argentina about it and she says that from their point of view stars really do appear to rotate around the Southern Cross.  I'm not sure how exactly that could happen if the world were flat.

She's a flight attendant and she says that there really is a direct flight from Buenos Aires - Ministro Pistarini Int'l Airport to Auckland, New Zealand and not only that she says she has actually seen people get on the plane and the plane actually departs from the gate with people on it.

Weird, right?  I wonder where flat-earthers think those people are really going because direct flights from South America to New Zealand don't really exist. This post was edited by Livvie at September 12, 2017 6:31 PM MDT
      September 12, 2017 6:23 PM MDT

Im sure that should clear things up for them Livvie. ;D
      September 12, 2017 6:56 PM MDT

People really believe that.  I went to a Christian school that taught the universe was only 6000 years old then when I told my dad that he said it was a bunch of hooey because we can see things in space more than 6000 light years away.

The next day I told the teacher what my dad said so the principal and the pastor had a little meeting with my dad about it.  lol, dad got sent to the principal's office.

September 12, 2017 6:00 PM MDT

ROFLMAO!  
      September 12, 2017 6:27 PM MDT

Not all Evangelicals believe that.
    I am Evangelical and can say without a doubt the earth is billions of years old. 
    An Evangelical simply believes the Bible and a personal belief in  Jesus Christ is essential. This post was edited by my2cents at September 21, 2017 10:12 PM MDT
      September 12, 2017 8:44 PM MDT

• my2cents, you're right. Unfortunately some people, including some Evangelicals, have lost sight of the Bible and Jesus the Christ. They spend more time arguing about how old the earth is and whether or not it's flat, than spending time reading and studying Scripture.
      September 21, 2017 10:20 PM MDT

I will never poke fun at Scientology again. Because? Evangelicals believe that the world is 6,000 years old. They BELIEVE this.

1. The reason they believe that is because it can be argued or deduced from what the Bible says. It's the same reason, Biblical evidence, that some Christians use to believe in many other things like the earth is flat or that Jesus was the archangel Michael.

2. The Old Testament is full of who begat whom statements and I guess people used those genealogical chains to work out that Adam, the first man, was created some 5777 years ago, in the year 3761 BCE. Evidently scholar Rabbi Yossi ben Halafta, a 2nd century Rabbi, must have perfected the art because he worked out the precise date to be October 7 of that year.
      September 25, 2017 12:47 PM MDT