Active Now

Element 99
Malizz
Spunky
Discussion » Questions » Language » I have been told that GREED and HATE are not diseases. In fact they are. See below for the dictionary definition. Didja know?

I have been told that GREED and HATE are not diseases. In fact they are. See below for the dictionary definition. Didja know?

The 3rd Dictionary definition of DISEASE is as follows

"Any harmful, depraved or morbid condition of the mind or society"

How does that not fit perfectly with HATE and GREED? They are harmful, depraved and certainly a morbid condition of society. Who would argue otherwise?

Posted - September 17, 2017

Responses

Haven't really thought of it that way before. It definitely isn't the way humans were intended to be.
    (2 Timothy 3:1-5) But know this, that in the last days critical times hard to deal with will be here. 2 For men will be lovers of themselves, lovers of money, boastful, haughty, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, disloyal, 3 having no natural affection, not open to any agreement, slanderers, without self-control, fierce, without love of goodness, 4 betrayers, headstrong, puffed up with pride, lovers of pleasures rather than lovers of God, 5 having an appearance of godliness but proving false to its power; and from these turn away.
    (1 Timothy 6:9, 10) But those who are determined to be rich fall into temptation and a snare and many senseless and harmful desires that plunge men into destruction and ruin. 10 For the love of money is a root of all sorts of injurious things, and by reaching out for this love some have been led astray from the faith and have stabbed themselves all over with many pains.
      September 17, 2017 7:30 AM MDT

SIGH. When did greed and hate transform humans into what they are today tex? I totally agree with thee. "It definitely isn't the way humans were intended to be". But here we are! Bummer! :( Thank you for your thoughtful (once again) and helpful reply! :)
      September 17, 2017 7:31 AM MDT

Through gradualism since the fall of Adam climaxing in a deterioration of attitudes and morals to where we are today.

God through Jesus will soon correct all of the wrongs committed in the past.
    (Acts 24:15) And I have hope toward God, which hope these men also look forward to, that there is going to be a resurrection of both the righteous and the unrighteous.

(Psalm 37:10, 11) Just a little while longer, and the wicked will be no more; You will look at where they were, And they will not be there. 11 But the meek will possess the earth, And they will find exquisite delight in the abundance of peace.

(Psalm 37:29) The righteous will possess the earth, And they will live forever on it.

(Isaiah 11:1-9) A twig will grow out of the stump of Jesʹse, And a sprout from his roots will bear fruit.  2 And the spirit of Jehovah will settle upon him, The spirit of wisdom and of understanding, The spirit of counsel and of mightiness, The spirit of knowledge and of the fear of Jehovah.  3 And he will find delight in the fear of Jehovah. He will not judge by what appears to his eyes, Nor reprove simply according to what his ears hear.  4 He will judge the lowly with fairness, And with uprightness he will give reproof in behalf of the meek ones of the earth. He will strike the earth with the rod of his mouth And put the wicked to death with the breath of his lips.  5 Righteousness will be the belt around his waist, And faithfulness the belt of his hips.  6 The wolf will reside for a while with the lamb, And with the young goat the leopard will lie down, And the calf and the lion and the fattened animal will all be together; And a little boy will lead them.  7 The cow and the bear will feed together, And their young will lie down together. The lion will eat straw like the bull.  8 The nursing child will play over the lair of a cobra, And a weaned child will put his hand over the den of a poisonous snake.  9 They will not cause any harm Or any ruin in all my holy mountain, Because the earth will certainly be filled with the knowledge of Jehovah As the waters cover the sea.

September 17, 2017 11:04 AM MDT

First of all tex thank you very much for the new-to-me word. I had never heard of "gradualism" so I looked it up in the dictionary. It means exactly what it sounds like it means. Do something gradually. SIGH. Whether it be gradual or overnight it's a terrible thing. There is a horrific deterioration of attitudes and morals. Today many people don't care that we have a prez who lies all the time or a staff that backs up the lies. It's "ho-hum who cares?" Also in terms of morality folks don't care  if their leaders are cruel or harm or even destroy just for their own gain or amusement. How can you not care about that? I don't understand that but MAYBE it is from becoming less human and more robot?  Robots have no feelings. These folks can muster up hate but beyond that not much else. Thank you for your thoughtful answer. I hope you don't get tired of me always asking you WHY? It does help me. Happy Monday! :)
      September 18, 2017 4:25 AM MDT

Can't really rely on worldly governmental leaders. God through Jesus will rule righteously. These governments will oppose the rule of Jesus with the culmination of Armageddon. 

(Jeremiah 10:23) I well know, O Jehovah, that man’s way does not belong to him. It does not belong to man who is walking even to direct his step.
    (Psalm 146:3, 4) Do not put your trust in princes Nor in a son of man, who cannot bring salvation.  4 His spirit goes out, he returns to the ground; On that very day his thoughts perish.
    (Jeremiah 17:5) This is what Jehovah says: “Cursed is the man who puts his trust in mere humans, Who relies on human power, And whose heart turns away from Jehovah.

(Psalm 2:2) The kings of the earth take their stand And high officials gather together as one Against Jehovah and against his anointed one.
    (Revelation 16:14-16) They are, in fact, expressions inspired by demons and they perform signs, and they go out to the kings of the entire inhabited earth, to gather them together to the war of the great day of God the Almighty. 15 “Look! I am coming as a thief. Happy is the one who stays awake and keeps his outer garments, so that he may not walk naked and people look upon his shamefulness.” 16 And they gathered them together to the place that is called in Hebrew Armageddon.
    (Revelation 19:19) And I saw the wild beast and the kings of the earth and their armies gathered together to wage war against the one seated on the horse and against his army.

(Daniel 7:13, 14) “I kept watching in the visions of the night, and look! with the clouds of the heavens, someone like a son of man was coming; and he gained access to the Ancient of Days, and they brought him up close before that One. 14 And to him there were given rulership, honor, and a kingdom, that the peoples, nations, and language groups should all serve him. His rulership is an everlasting rulership that will not pass away, and his kingdom will not be destroyed.

September 18, 2017 7:53 AM MDT

I hafta disagree with something you said. We are all God's children.  Why CAN'T I rely on at least one of them to do the right thing? I can't accept that tex. Here's what I think. The really good people have no desire to be involved in politics and so they stay away. We lose. We always lose. We will lose forever because the good people won't get ground up in the meat grinder we call politics. Will that ever change? I don't know. I hope so. Thank you for your reply.
      September 18, 2017 8:54 AM MDT

According to the Bible, Man has been around a little over 6,000 years. According to evolutionist, much longer than that. Has there ever been such a man or government like you speak of that has done good for all of their subjects?
    The answer is Jesus. According to Bible prophecy, this corrupt system is at its end with the righteous rule of Jesus to follow.

(Psalm 37:10, 11) Just a little while longer, and the wicked will be no more; You will look at where they were, And they will not be there. 11 But the meek will possess the earth, And they will find exquisite delight in the abundance of peace.
    (Psalm 37:29) The righteous will possess the earth, And they will live forever on it.
    (Isaiah 11:1-8) A twig will grow out of the stump of Jesʹse, And a sprout from his roots will bear fruit.  2 And the spirit of Jehovah will settle upon him, The spirit of wisdom and of understanding, The spirit of counsel and of mightiness, The spirit of knowledge and of the fear of Jehovah.  3 And he will find delight in the fear of Jehovah. He will not judge by what appears to his eyes, Nor reprove simply according to what his ears hear.  4 He will judge the lowly with fairness, And with uprightness he will give reproof in behalf of the meek ones of the earth. He will strike the earth with the rod of his mouth And put the wicked to death with the breath of his lips.  5 Righteousness will be the belt around his waist, And faithfulness the belt of his hips.  6 The wolf will reside for a while with the lamb, And with the young goat the leopard will lie down, And the calf and the lion and the fattened animal will all be together; And a little boy will lead them.  7 The cow and the bear will feed together, And their young will lie down together. The lion will eat straw like the bull.  8 The nursing child will play over the lair of a cobra, And a weaned child will put his hand over the den of a poisonous snake.
      September 18, 2017 9:39 AM MDT

Jesus didn't do a thing.

He walked around and preached.  His words have been distorted to fit the dictates of the time over and over and over.

I can count on my fingers still the amount of people that understand anything about Jesus or what he was about.

Give it up.

Jesus was around thousands of years ago.  You don't even know what Mahatma Gandhi thought and he just died in the last Century.

September 18, 2017 9:46 AM MDT

"Jesus didn't do a thing". Thank you for your opinion. I find it interesting that you sometimes speak of Jesus as if you have some sort of belief in Jesus. You get all bent out of shape every time someone gives an encouraging scripture to someone else. Everything we know of Jesus is recorded in the Bible yet you seem to claim to have some special knowledge of Jesus. You bring up Gandhi. He appears to have received some of his knowledge of Jesus from the Bible. What is your source for your special knowledge of Jesus that no one else has? 

Nope, I don't know a whole lot about Gandhi but from what I have read, I get the feeling that he was a pretty good man. It is my understanding that he was the Hindu leader, and is reported to have said to Lord Irwin, a former viceroy of India: “When your country and mine shall get together on the teachings laid down by Christ in this Sermon on the Mount, we shall have solved the problems not only of our countries but those of the whole world.” On another occasion Gandhi said: “By all means drink deep of the fountains that are given to you in the Sermon on the Mount . . . For the teaching of the Sermon was meant for each and every one of us.”

Was Gandhi snarky to everyone that expressed belief in the Jesus of the Bible as you often are?
      September 21, 2017 7:50 AM MDT

We are all children of God. Why has there been NO ONE that represented good but Jesus? That makes no sense. Does God purposely create defection humans? I can't believe that tex. Thank you for your reply. What about the clergy that became saints? Now I know they weren't involved in politics but surely over the centuries there have been some good men (women were second-class and not worth mentioning)? 
      September 18, 2017 9:54 AM MDT

Lost in your own nonsense. There may or may not have been a government "that have done good for all their subjects",but certainly no govt by Jesus has ever existed, and governments "by Jesus" have proven to be the most destructive ever to stand. Remember the Crusades? The Inquistion? 
    Save us all your endless blather from the book of Jewish Fairy tales. 
      September 18, 2017 3:24 PM MDT

Okay, you obviously are trying to find something to fight with me about. Not saying right now rather or not I am convinced of the validity of the following, but step away from your hostility against me and forget what you perceive I believe for a moment and try to give a rational answer to the following:

So you don't believe that the Catholic Church has helped everyone when involved with politics?
    How do explain all of the post biblical saints?

What about Satya Sai Baba and all of his miracles witnesses by many in modern times? If there is no God, how do you explain that? I know of one person that prayed to him one night and then their mother, who had no idea of the prayer and was not a believer, had a dream that pretty much played out that dream. 
    What do you think of Satya Sai Baba?
    How do you explain his miracles observed by many?
      September 19, 2017 6:08 AM MDT

All written by poor people without earthly hope or substantive education. Poor reference indeed. This post was edited by Don Barzini at September 17, 2017 8:12 AM MDT
      September 17, 2017 8:04 AM MDT

Thank you for your negativity towards my post. Perhaps you consider those qualities condemned in the Christian Greek scriptures to be commendable qualities to be desired?
      September 17, 2017 10:23 AM MDT

I have looked at the Greek scriptures despite not knowing the language and they are very interesting especially to the intellectual scholars who have Hebrew, Greek and Latin.
      September 17, 2017 12:21 PM MDT

Thank you for your comment Malizz.
      September 18, 2017 7:54 AM MDT

You're welcome. Those qualities that are condemned are damn able in every sect of society. That (particularly) Christian scriptures presume to dictate morality from the limited point of view of uneducated, mostly impoverished Bronze Age Middle Eastern tribes under the guise of "revealed word" is laughable. Can we also cite stoning non-virgin brides, misogyny, slavery, and killing insubordinate children and homosexuals as proper morality as advocated in Scripture? ... Hardly a creditable source for seeking lessons on morality.
    Thanks for trying though This post was edited by Don Barzini at September 17, 2017 6:46 PM MDT
      September 17, 2017 3:04 PM MDT

in the context of the broader definition of DISEASE, hate and greed, as with any other destructive or debilitating forces in our world like religion or drug addiction, ARE diseases. They create unfavorable or detrimental conditions for life. 

It's clearly articulated within the word itself: Dis - Ease.

We have come to commonly associate this term mostly with physical ailments, viruses and the like.

Interpretation makes our language evolve. This post was edited by Don Barzini at September 18, 2017 8:54 AM MDT
      September 17, 2017 8:00 AM MDT

Yes. Interpretation does do that assuredly. I am often challenged by people with the words I choose to use. And then I disabuse them of their limited understanding of what those words REALLY mean.  They don't bother to consult the dictionary and educate themselves before they challenge/question me. Why that is I shall never understand. Dictionaries don't cost that much. Every home should have one. People should consult them frequently and not use them as some sort of decoration to be admired but never utilized/consulted/paid attention to. Thank you for your reply DonB and Happy Monday to thee! :)
      September 18, 2017 8:59 AM MDT

But just exactly what do you mean by "greed" and "hate"?  Please define.  The former does not just apply to those who have more than you do, nor the latter to anybody who happens not to agree with you.  Humans naturally seek comfort and more of it and naturally feel more comfortable with their own kind - whatever that means.  Not disease but natural and part of the human condition. But goes bad when we forget there are others beside us in the world who are seeking their own happiness as well.  Which they have a natural right to so it we set ourselves and ours up as the only importances in the world it becomes wrong.  Just as we may not be comfortable with the way others live but they have a right to live as they do as long as everything is in harmony. 
      September 17, 2017 8:39 AM MDT

Greed is wanting more and more and more and more and more than what you need. Hate is when you want the worst to happen to someone and focus on facilitating it and causing it and participating in it. To the death often and ruining someone which is almost the same thing. Did you look up the words or did you just wish to engage in superficial conversation? Thank you for showing up and Happy Monday to thee O G! :)
      September 18, 2017 9:01 AM MDT

I say that "greed" ... like "beauty" ... is in the eye of the beholder.

If my neighbor is a millionaire, but doesn't share his wealth with others, who am I (or anyone else) to say he is greedy?
    Perhaps he was brought up with nothing, and is afraid of losing everything and being destitute once again.  (like those who lived through the Great Depression)  Perhaps he wants to be able to pass it on to his family or charities, upon his death.  Perhaps he doesn't trust charities (many of whom keep more donations than they spend on helping people).

September 17, 2017 12:05 PM MDT

Setting your neighbor aside. Greed is never being satisfied. Greed is wanting your share and everyone else's and as you get more you want more and are never sated. Thank you for your reply Walt O'R and Happy Monday! :)
      September 18, 2017 9:03 AM MDT

Sins, more like. 
      September 17, 2017 12:17 PM MDT