Discussion » Questions » Religion and Spirituality » DId GOD actually write the Bible, or did He use Holy Ghost WRITERS?

DId GOD actually write the Bible, or did He use Holy Ghost WRITERS?

Posted - September 19, 2017

Responses

LOL...nice comeback to my question.
      September 19, 2017 8:56 AM MDT

Oh you are a great muse.

September 19, 2017 10:03 AM MDT

Bearing in mind that I am far from a biblical scholar, I'm pretty sure that the only writing directly attributable to God are the Ten Commandments.  Everything else was written by man.

This post was edited by SpunkySenior at September 19, 2017 1:50 PM MDT
      September 19, 2017 1:50 PM MDT

ACCORDING TO WHOM?

Oh yeah.  Again that would be MAN.

God never came in any form that is acceptable to everyone and said anything.

That is the rub.  He talks all the time.  No one can agree it is Him.

Sad, but true.

This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at September 19, 2017 1:52 PM MDT
      September 19, 2017 1:51 PM MDT

According to the Old Testament.
      September 19, 2017 1:53 PM MDT

Which was put on paper and WRITTEN BY A MAN.

HELLO??????  Anyone in there?
      September 19, 2017 1:53 PM MDT

No, which was etched on two tablets and handed to Moses.

EDIT:  DUH!  Now I see what you meant. :) This post was edited by SpunkySenior at September 19, 2017 1:55 PM MDT
      September 19, 2017 1:55 PM MDT

According to whom?

MEN. 

No one saw this.  I said that we need to agree that this happened.  Not take the word of some man.

I am being technical.  Totally technical.  We have zero proof.  ZERO.

God does not talk to anyone in any way that has ever proven it was GOD.

PROVE IT.
      September 19, 2017 2:06 PM MDT

I agree, now that I "got" your point.  Personally, when it can be proven that there is a God, I will review my atheism.
      September 19, 2017 8:33 PM MDT

An efficient cause is capable of using an instrumental cause to produce its object.

God / human writers. 
      September 19, 2017 1:59 PM MDT

That's not the argument.

Start at the beginning of this thread and answer accordingly.

Thank you.
      September 19, 2017 2:07 PM MDT

So you need me to interpret my answer?
      September 19, 2017 4:20 PM MDT

It worked, didn't it? 

Work Smarter, Not Harder....

Mike Pence.  (Oh God that was not funny)
      September 25, 2017 1:52 PM MDT

The Ten (Hebrew) Commandments are a nearly word for word plagiarism of Spell 125 of the Egyptian Book of the Dead. This post was edited by Don Barzini at September 19, 2017 3:35 PM MDT
      September 19, 2017 3:34 PM MDT

The point, however, which I missed originally, was that no matter where it originated, it was MAN who did so.
      September 19, 2017 8:30 PM MDT

That was the most open-minded reversal ever.   Thank you.  I mean that.  That kind of display is impressive to me, not something clever I might bandy about.  That is what matters.  Really thinking and seeing what is the best answer. 

Thank you.  It may not be right because there is no right.  I go by gut sometimes about some things.

Personally, I believe EVERYTHING in the Bible. EVERY WORD.  It was passed down by Divine Inspiration.   The only difference is some recognized it as such and it became what it was intended to be.

I am sure that whomever started writing didn't sit down and say "Hey, I'm gonna write down what I think God is saying."  It just came out of their heads.  They didn't question it.  But they DID feel compelled to keep it and pass it along.  And that has made all the difference.

That is a freaking miracle.  

So, the only thing I know that other people do not?  We all have this capacity.  The only difference is they were part of the drama that God is putting forth for GOD'S reasons.   The history and what it has brought about so far is the reason.   The Bible is not the WORD. We are the WORD. And our unified WORD today is to forsake the Bible, forsake whatever we feel other people should believe in GOD and turn inside and see what GOD is.  He is there for all of us so no one needs to feel left out.  We all matter totally.

When we all see that?  All Trumps disappear.  No Trump could even exist if he thought this stuff I just said.

The end.

Psalms - New Visions Church of Sharonna Chapter ONE
    Tear down the wall This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at September 25, 2017 9:56 PM MDT
      September 25, 2017 1:59 PM MDT

Oh Guess What Don?

The argument that could take place concerning this controversial subject?  I'm totally and completely on your side there.

And Blessed Be to Ya

Hari Elwing Shaym

Dead Sea Scrolls?   More of the same thought to me.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dead_Sea_Scrolls This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at September 25, 2017 1:56 PM MDT
      September 25, 2017 1:53 PM MDT

If he did ,he was good at writing gibberish and propagating hatred ....:(
      September 19, 2017 2:12 PM MDT

The Bible is an accretion of ancient legends, moral stories and local Middle Eastern folklore, drawn from the time of the Jewish exile in Babylon (early sixth century BCE) until about the early fourth century CE. 

In the interest of brevity: 

In 325 CE, Roman Emperor Constantine convened the Council of Nicaea to set forth and consolidate what would become official Christian doctrine and to establish the divine nature of Christ. The groundwork was then laid for the selection and redaction of existing texts to compile a definitive code of Christian Dogma. This initial decree put to task Christian clerics throughout Medieval Europe to translate, edit and transcribe the prescribed selection of writings into a single tome. There were known to be many drafts in this process. 

In 787, the Second Council of Nicaea was convened to (among many other accomplishments) further consolidate the various interpretations of Christian dogma that had emerged over the preceding 4 centuries, and tack on the newly included Book of Revelations (ostensibly written by a man named John, who luridly accounts his "visions" while exiled on the Isle of Patmos) to fill out the scriptural collection.  

Many, MANY retranslations and re-edits have taken place in the centuries since. 

So, very clearly, the Bible was cobbled together by the hands and minds of men. 

This post was edited by Don Barzini at September 25, 2017 3:31 PM MDT
      September 19, 2017 3:29 PM MDT

Unleash the power over the uneducated.....a great tool for the rich,powerful and the greedy ...still used very much today :(
      September 19, 2017 11:03 PM MDT

DId GOD actually write the Bible, or did He use Holy Ghost WRITERS?

1. When believers say that the Bible [or any other scripture] is from God, or is God's words they don't mean that God Himself sat down and literally wrote the words.

2. What believers tend to boldly claim is that God is the source of every word in their scripture.

3. That claim is almost universal in the case of Muslims but not all Christians will insist that God is the source of every word in their scripture the Bible or Holy Bible. 

4. One explanation [and not the most significant one] why Muslims find it easier to make such a bold claim is the fact that there is only one HQ. A copy of the HQ in Beijing would be word for word identical to any other copy in Lagos or anywhere else in the world.

5. One explanation [and again not the most significant one] why the Bible does not lend itself very easily to such a bold claim is because what's just been said about the HQ cannot be said about the Bible
      September 24, 2017 11:40 AM MDT

Quote: "4. One explanation [and not the most significant one] why Muslims find it easier to make such a bold claim is the fact that there is only one HQ. A copy of the HQ in Beijing would be word for word identical to any other copy in Lagos or anywhere else in the world."

Which is correct? Are you supposed to cut off fingertips only, whole fingers, fingers and toes, whole limbs?

So everyone has to earn Arabic to understand the Quran? Allah cannot translate the Quran into the common language of the people?

https://corpus.quran.com/translation.jsp?chapter=8&verse=12

Sahih International: [Remember] when your Lord inspired to the angels, "I am with you, so strengthen those who have believed. I will cast terror into the hearts of those who disbelieved, so strike [them] upon the necks and strike from them every fingertip."

Pickthall: When thy Lord inspired the angels, (saying): I am with you. So make those who believe stand firm. I will throw fear into the hearts of those who disbelieve. Then smite the necks and smite of them each finger.

Yusuf Ali: Remember thy Lord inspired the angels (with the message): "I am with you: give firmness to the Believers: I will instil terror into the hearts of the Unbelievers: smite ye above their necks and smite all their finger-tips off them."

Shakir: When your Lord revealed to the angels: I am with you, therefore make firm those who believe. I will cast terror into the hearts of those who disbelieve. Therefore strike off their heads and strike off every fingertip of them.

Muhammad Sarwar: Your Lord inspired the angels saying, "I am with you. Encourage the believers. I shall cast terror into the hearts of the unbelievers and you will strike their heads and limbs;

Mohsin Khan: (Remember) when your Lord inspired the angels, "Verily, I am with you, so keep firm those who have believed. I will cast terror into the hearts of those who have disbelieved, so strike them over the necks, and smite over all their fingers and toes."

Arberry: When thy Lord was revealing to the angels, 'I am with you; so confirm the believers. I shall cast into the unbelievers' hearts terror; so smite above the necks, and smite every finger of them!'

Understandably there could have been an apostasy from the teachings of Muhammad and many of those claiming to follow his teachings just as Jesus said there would be among those claiming to follow him. Did Muhammad say that and if so, which sect of Islam follows the Quran correctly? What did Muhammad give as a primary sign to recognize his true followers?
      September 25, 2017 11:01 AM MDT

You quote point 4 of my answer giving the impression that you're going to challenge its truth, but nothing in your long post does that. In fact nothing in it is relevant to the subject under discussion in my answer.

Your whole post is making allegations that can be readily refuted but are not relevant to the discussion here.

September 25, 2017 1:08 PM MDT

What I said is very relevant to your point 4 and how Muslims find it easier to make such a bold claim about the Quran being superior to the Bible, particularly:

"A copy of the HQ in Beijing would be word for word identical to any other copy in Lagos or anywhere else in the world."

Didn't I just give you 7 different versions of the same verse from the Quran that were not word for word identical to any other copy?

I understand you preferring to talk about the Bible rather than the Quran though.

September 25, 2017 3:52 PM MDT