Active Now

Element 99
Malizz
Danilo_G
Discussion » Questions » Life and Society » What are your favorite or most intriguing personal paradoxes?

What are your favorite or most intriguing personal paradoxes?

For me, it's perhaps being a vegetarian pacifist who naturally adores hunting and fighting.

Posted - September 30, 2017

Responses

That is quite an odd combo. How on earth do you reconcile it? 

I guess for me, it's that I'm so judgmental of judgmental people. I try not to judge, but their judgment just makes me crazy! :P
      September 30, 2017 12:54 PM MDT

Hehe, now that you mention it, I'm quite like that too! Since in my twenties, though, I'm getting a bit better at trying to understand those people as well--I hope.

As for my admittedly odd combo, I recalled you joining in on a discussion about video games and mentioning how much you dislike hunting, and that you might be interested in a title about observing animals in their natural habitats; that actually seems to coincide with my position. I shun killing any animal if not absolutely necessary for another's (or eventually its own) well-being, but I guess I can't (and don't really want to) shed that instinct which finds fulfillment--even beauty, peace and guidance--in reading the environment, observing a wild animal's habits and games, learning how to move and think according to nature's supreme logic. I may be making it sound too romantic or Romantic here, however, since all this mostly just comes down to me being called upon to capture wasps around the house and set them free outside. When it comes to the peaceful fighting dichotomy, I primarily find an outlet in sports, allowing me to exhaust my daily drive without issue.

In case you deem your personal paradox to require reconciliation, how do you--or think you could--manage yours? This post was edited by Danilo_G at November 14, 2020 6:33 AM MST
      September 30, 2017 2:05 PM MDT

I have a vague recollection of that discussion. While I personally choose not to eat animals, I don't think hunting is nearly as inhumane as buying meat from factory farms. Wild animals do get to experience a quality of life prior to being killed, and that is sadly not the case for animals on factory farms. Most people don't like to hear this, because it causes internal conflict within themselves, but that isn't my business. I've become accustomed to people's attempts to engage me in arguments and debates, am used to being taunted because of my choice not to eat animals. I know that it is others struggling with their own conflicted feelings about participating in the brutality that is factory farming, so I don't take it personally. I also know that not a single person will rethink their choice if they are scolded or shamed, so it's not something that I'll involve myself in. 

I can't believe it, but I've found the article that I was thinking of, with regard to my personal paradox. I found it to be quite humorous, so I'll include a link. Basically, I try my best to realize that people who come from a place of judgment rather than compassion, are merely in a different place on their journey. I share my perspective, when appropriate, and hope that the peace that I get from viewing people and situations from a compassionate place will appeal to them. I know that's what has happened for me, and it's my job as a human to try to pass that along. 

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/ambigamy/201501/be-intolerant-intolerance
      September 30, 2017 6:34 PM MDT

I'm feeling you in all your points there, Savvy, but the significance of compassion resonates particularly. Thank you for your answers, and also for sharing that article (been a while since I read 'koan,' and now I know how to pronounce it, inevitably thinking of koalas).
      October 1, 2017 4:50 AM MDT

All sane and rational people judge, it’s how we as humans decide whether or not we like someone, whether or not we can trust someone, whether or not we agree with someone, whether or not a situation is safe, whether or not we allow someone into our lives, etc. Unfortunately, many people only look at the word “judgement” in a negative light. There is also positive judgement. Look at your relationships with the various people you’ve known throughout your entire life.  Think of the ones you view favorably, or have viewed favorably at one point. There are things about those people, coupled with things about you, that lead you to accept of reject their interactions in your life. That’s judgement. You made and continually make decisions to like, love, tolerate, pay attention to, believe, talk with, spend time with, laugh with, play with certain people, all based on your judgement.  You also use judgement to protect yourself. If Randy D invites you to a weekend at the no-tell motel off the interstate on the scuzzy part of town, you politely decline and let him revel solo in his depravity. By your judgement, it’s not a wise move to go with him. On the other hand, if you decide you do want to participate in something similar to that with another person besides Randy D, you’re using your judgement also.
      We all judge, we do it daily and/or several times daily. There nothing wrong with being judgmental. 

~

November 14, 2020 6:31 AM MST

I agree. Decisions and choices do involve judgement. I've heard and said "Use your best judgement" many times. 

I think what I was trying to say here was more along the lines of those who impose their own negative  judgments on others when it has nothing to do with them (the judger) personally. Life is a complicated game. 

November 14, 2020 12:27 PM MST

With the caveat that the accuracy and value of any judgment depends on the person's understanding of logic and the accuracy of the information one relies on to base that judgment.

(Two factors not frequently found together on Q & A sites.) 
      November 14, 2020 4:00 PM MST

Even as a young child, the average person begins to form the ability to judge others and judge situations before logic is fully incorporated into the brain. The simple scent of one’s mother or her voice or her heartbeat can be signals of safety, comfort, security, love, etc. Judgement sometimes even defies logic, yet its outcome can still be rewarding. The act of judging and the quality of applying logic both increase gradually as a child grows, sometimes it takes many years, even a decade or two, before both are honed to sharpness, and some people never master either one very well. 
    ~

November 14, 2020 9:47 PM MST

I think working is a must for personal happiness. Ive never worked a day in my life, (except for one short time job before i got married)
      September 30, 2017 2:05 PM MDT

I like that one too, hehe. I don't think you and I know each other so well, but you've always struck me as happy, carbonproduct. How do you balance those two sides of yours?
      September 30, 2017 2:09 PM MDT

Image result for funny gifs of annoying peopleNot very well im afraid....
      September 30, 2017 2:13 PM MDT

Then again, balance might be overrated--as you've just demonstrated, stumbling through things can make them much more entertaining!
      September 30, 2017 2:18 PM MDT

Yes. And thanks for the friends request. Id be honored. ;))
      September 30, 2017 2:20 PM MDT

Honored to have it accepted by you!
      September 30, 2017 2:23 PM MDT

I have Restless Legs Syndrome but bad arthritis in my feet.  So my legs always want to get up and go but it hurts my feet to do so.  That God, he's got some sense of humor, eh?
      September 30, 2017 7:15 PM MDT

Hi (I'll call you) Ishmael, is it too prompt to assume you're an aficionado of Melville and, judging by a gif I saw you post, Community?

That is some contradiction, I'll admit. Automatically my head starts ringing with advice I'd--naively--like to offer, but I presume you've been through all that. Perhaps, as an avid gamer, I might suggest Virtual Reality, fooling those legs right back into place!
      October 1, 2017 4:45 AM MDT

Funny, I answered your question about koans and, after posting that answer, I went back and edited it and said that  I thought my answer was maybe more of a paradox instead of a koan - - and then I saw this question of yours  - - that's sort of funny to me! 

Maybe a koanny paradox in and of itself. Or a parakoanox.

:)
      November 12, 2020 9:49 PM MST

What a koancidence!

Not only that, but I happened to catch a movie on TV yesterday that you might like: it's about these two polite Austrian boys who are just trying to borrow eggs from some rude neighbours. " ;) "
      November 13, 2020 3:49 AM MST

Ha, yes, a koancidence! A koankidink, too!

And - - OMG  -- and the fact you said Austrian, you saw the original! That movie devastated me! What a masterpiece to me, as you must know since you brought those Austrians up yourself to me! I sometimes forget to whom I talked about THE most disturbing yet brilliant movie I've seen. :)

I've never watched the same director's own American remake of his Austrian boys. and you summed up the movie so well!!   --

" . . . two polite Austrian boys who are just trying to borrow eggs from some rude neighbours"

November 13, 2020 8:31 PM MST

I can see why the movie left such an impression! Of course I was rooting against the guys, as they themselves knew, but Funny Games (I'll mention the title in case anyone else gets curious, haha) simply won't let the viewer have their way...
      November 14, 2020 3:35 AM MST

Yup, related to what you've said here, I've read that director Michael Haneke does not believe watching violence should be entertaining for viewers. In some ways, I can't even describe my thoughts about the movie. I was certainly not entertained (or was I?) but I was engrossed and , the whole time, was more and more realizing I had never seen anything like this movie. And, in so many ways, the movie is superb to me.

And I added the movie poster after reading all of our conversation.  :)
      November 14, 2020 7:32 PM MST

Yup; what's more innocent than borrowing eggs?  ;)

Arno Frisch in Funny Games (1997) - Funny Games Photo (15316372) - Fanpop

November 14, 2020 7:26 PM MST

Inspired by another thread: That people have supposedly left Answermug because of my grammar police activities, but nobody here has done so.
      November 12, 2020 9:57 PM MST

Stu my boo, good to see you're back! I'm sure whoever were to leave, would do so a wiser person.
      November 13, 2020 3:38 AM MST