Active Now

ENG / LLVF - formerly of AB
Element 99
Discussion » Questions » Religion and Spirituality » When someone says "Oh my God" are they saying the Lord's name in vain?

When someone says "Oh my God" are they saying the Lord's name in vain?

Posted - October 5, 2017

Responses

I've never heard anyone say that.
      October 5, 2017 5:20 PM MDT

I have heard that said. But only by dogmatically religious people.
      October 6, 2017 12:48 AM MDT

Probably. I wonder if atheists scream "OH MY NOTHING!" when they're having sex? Or do Muslim teenagers text "OMA"?
      October 6, 2017 1:30 AM MDT

Belly laughs!!
      October 6, 2017 10:17 AM MDT

when misinformation gets there first, it's extremely hard to correct it, no matter how ridiculous the misinformation or how hard one tries to correct it.
    The mother tongue of Arabs is not English so they don't use the word God. They have their own word for it. It is Allah, and yes, Allah is in the Christian Bible in Arabic.
      October 8, 2017 2:46 PM MDT

October 8, 2017 2:54 PM MDT

okay, but my points are still valid in general - I think
      October 8, 2017 4:13 PM MDT

Interesting question.

Maybe technically, but I don't think many people are even aware they are saying that phrase as another way of expressing shock, surprise, or wonder.

A few years ago I decided to see if I could take it out of my spoken and written comments, and it was surprisingly easy to do.

It has been so far impossible for me to feel any real guilt for ever having used the phrase as I did for years.

(Anecdote---when my oldest was a toddler, I knocked a pan of fried eggs off the stove onto the floor.  I sahd "S*it" and loudly.

My son picked that word up as his new best friend and it took me about 3 weeks to erase that phrase from his vocabulary, using my best parenting skills.)
      October 6, 2017 11:03 AM MDT

Years ago I had a bet with my boyfriend that we'd attempt taking the F word our of our vocabulary.  I was shocked to see how many times the word flew out of my mouth, many times not even being aware of it. 

As a side note, my African Grey one day uttered damnit, damnit. While I was surprised she decided to repeat THAT word rather than the F word, I was relieved. She's never said it again, thank God. 

My daughter heard me cuss like a sailor growing up and I never heard her repeat any one of them. She'd come home from school and would tell me when her classmates said a bad word. When I asked her what they said, she would tell me what letter it started with, but would never say the word. The only reason I even asked her was because I was curious if there was a new word I needed to know about. Lol

Thank you for your reply. 
      October 6, 2017 11:20 AM MDT

I admit, I first thought of an African Greyhound there, reckoning "why, ProblemCh1ld is pretty casual about having a talking dog."
      October 6, 2017 11:25 AM MDT

I did have a dog, lab/rottie, that said "I love". I was repeatedly saying I love you. I wasn't the only one that heard it. 

But my Chorkies do tell me they love me, all the time.

And they also tell me they're really happy.

And no, I didn't doctor them up. 

This post was edited by ProblemCh1ld at October 8, 2017 4:02 AM MDT
      October 7, 2017 9:13 PM MDT

Yes, they are. 
      October 6, 2017 11:37 AM MDT

• After I gave my answer and after answering Clurt's comment, I got to thinking after seeing your answer. I believe you are correct. Some may very well be saying Oh my God in a mocking and irreverent manner just because they can and couldn't care less. Thank you for getting me to think about this a bit more.
      October 8, 2017 5:21 PM MDT

I have always been taught that if you say God, it should always to show respect and reverence to God with purpose. 
    Not just as an expression. 
      October 8, 2017 5:52 PM MDT

In order to mock there must be a target, mocking NULL would at most be a waste of time as well as a syntax error. (Randy, please confirm ;-)) This post was edited by JakobA the unAmerican. at October 10, 2017 11:36 PM MDT
      October 10, 2017 11:34 PM MDT

God does exist. 

But it is most definately possible go mock a null. I mock global warming all the time.
      October 11, 2017 4:35 AM MDT

Doesn't matter because God -if he exists never listens anyway.
      October 6, 2017 11:58 AM MDT

"never listens anyway."!!! What, even when according to Luke 22:44 "being in an agony, he prayed more earnestly; and his sweat was, as it were, great drops of blood falling down to the ground"? Well not according to Hebrews 5:7, It says that God listened and answered the prayers of him “Who in the days of his flesh, when he had offered up prayers and supplications with strong crying and tears unto him that was able to save him from death, and was heard ("had his prayers answered” in some versions) in that he feared (“because of his reverent submission” in some versions);” And quite right too, wouldn't you say? Anyway why would God not answer the prayer of His son, when Jesus himself said, “Ask, and it will be given to you….. For everyone who asks receives” (Matthew 7:8)? Jesus didn’t just ask, he pleaded to be saved. In Matthew 7:9 he asks, “what man is there among you who, if his son asks for bread, will give him a stone?”

October 8, 2017 3:47 PM MDT

What a convoluted conglomeration of words you put together. Wasn't Jesus' main focus on the sanctification of God's name and God's will rather than personal comfort? Did Jesus not pray that his Father's will take place over his?

(Luke 22:41-44) And he withdrew from them about a stone’s throw away, and he bent his knees and began to pray, 42 saying: “Father, if you want to, remove this cup from me. Nevertheless, let, not my will, but yours take place.” 43 Then an angel from heaven appeared to him and strengthened him. 44 But he was in such agony that he kept praying more earnestly; and his sweat became as drops of blood falling to the ground.
    (Hebrews 5:7) During his life on earth, Christ offered up supplications and also petitions, with strong outcries and tears, to the One who was able to save him out of death, and he was favorably heard for his godly fear.
    (Matthew 7:8, 9) for everyone asking receives, and everyone seeking finds, and to everyone knocking, it will be opened. 9 Indeed, which one of you, if his son asks for bread, will hand him a stone?
    (John 12:27, 28) Now I am troubled, and what should I say? Father, save me out of this hour. Nevertheless, this is why I have come to this hour. 28 Father, glorify your name.” Then a voice came out of heaven: “I have glorified it and will glorify it again.”
    (Matthew 6:9, 10) “You must pray, then, this way: “‘Our Father in the heavens, let your name be sanctified. 10 Let your Kingdom come. Let your will take place, as in heaven, also on earth.
    (Matthew 26:42) Again, a second time, he went off and prayed: “My Father, if it is not possible for this to pass away unless I drink it, let your will take place.”
    (John 17:4) I have glorified you on the earth, having finished the work you have given me to do.
    (John 13:31) When, therefore, he had gone out, Jesus said: “Now the Son of man is glorified, and God is glorified in connection with him.
    (Philippians 2:8) More than that, when he came as a man, he humbled himself and became obedient to the point of death, yes, death on a torture stake.
    (1 Timothy 2:4-6) whose will is that all sorts of people should be saved and come to an accurate knowledge of truth. 5 For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, a man, Christ Jesus, 6 who gave himself a corresponding ransom for all—this is what is to be witnessed to in its own due time.
    (John 10:17, 18) This is why the Father loves me, because I surrender my life, so that I may receive it again. 18 No man takes it away from me, but I surrender it of my own initiative. I have authority to surrender it, and I have authority to receive it again. This commandment I received from my Father.”
      October 12, 2017 10:33 AM MDT

1. Nothing in your post invalidates the scriptures I have quoted.

2. Your main point is that Jesus was happy with God's will taking precedence over his. That is not the subject of my post and I have no dispute with that point. In fact in my discussions with trinitarians I have often quoted Jesus saying "my food is to do the will of the one who sent me"
      October 12, 2017 12:58 PM MDT

Well with your partial quotes and added commentary, it's hard to tell what your point was. You just have a habit of trying to invalidate the Bible so I thought some of the scriptures I posted might help you with the context, depending on what your point was, if you had one.
      October 13, 2017 2:39 PM MDT

1. "it's hard to tell what your point was" ----------- my post was addressed to Kittigate, and it ended there. But, it seems sometimes that when you see my posts mentioning the Bible, no matter who the post is addressed to, you appear to see it in terms of the Bible being under attack and it is as if you feel duty bound to come in and launch a counter attack.

2. It's quite clear that I was addressing Kittigate's specific point that "God -if he exists never listens anyway." [my highlight] I said to Kittigate that according to Jesus in the Bible God does listen to prayers. And Jesus wasn't just saying so, he believed in it and did himself pray to God with very earnest pleading, and the Bible says that God did hear his prayers. 
      October 13, 2017 3:49 PM MDT

I get irritated at your constant badgering of Paul and the Bible in general. Are you saying that when you mentioned Hebrews, that you now accept his writings as inspired? If so, I apologize, I have just seen you try to cast doubt on Paul for the last 10 years or so. Kinda curious as to why you don't talk much about the Quran anymore?
      October 13, 2017 7:06 PM MDT

Communication involves both a sender and a receiver.

Are you sure you are listening when He replies to what you say?
      October 12, 2017 1:42 PM MDT