Active Now

Danilo_G
Discussion » Questions » Electronics » Do you still have cable? Or have you cut the cord?

Do you still have cable? Or have you cut the cord?

I needed to upgrade my old LG phone I bought through Tracfone.  It was a terrible phone.  I had avoided contracts for years but, in addition to that crappy a$$ed cell phone, I've been a slave to Comcast/Xfinity and their ever increasing bills.  Triple play, phone/internet/tv, charges were completely out of control.  So, I did my research and decided to go to the Verizon store.  I am currently caught between the two systems but within the next week, I hope to completely cut that cable cord and get everything through wi-fi.  I will have higher quality and current products at a cost that is less than I am paying for an outdated system.

How do you get your TV, Phone, and Internet service?  What kind of cell phone do you have?

Just want to give a shout out to my friend Ship_Wrecked for recommending the Samsung Galaxy Note 8.  It's a freaking awesome phone!  So, if you see him around, please give him a warm welcome.  I've talked him into joining AM and I hope you guys don't embarrass me and make me regret it!  ;-) 

Posted - October 5, 2017

Responses

I cut that cord in 2014.  No problem for me at all.
      October 5, 2017 5:43 PM MDT

I live near the top of a low lying mountain in a rural area.  They've upgraded the towers over the past year.  About 5 years ago, I actually had to pay to have Comcast run a cable to my house.  It wasn't worth it to them for the few customers they could gain.  My neighbor begged me to negotiate a deal with them and split the cost with him.  Up until that point, we were on dial-up! I am still pissed off that they cost me a lot of money for the privilege of using (and paying for) their services.  However, the internet connection is a prime one.  Verizon's on the go internet is slow. I have to see if there isn't a way to boost the signal higher.
      October 5, 2017 5:58 PM MDT

I'm basically in the same boat with Comcast/Xfinity and cell phone service through Verizon. So please let me know how you do because I'd love to cut the cord as well. There are just some cable channels I really like but can probably figure out a way around that.

I finally surrendered my LG phone for an iPhone SE back in February. Love, love, love it!

And I make no promises about not embarrassing you. Goes against everything I believe in.  ;-)
      October 5, 2017 5:52 PM MDT

LOL!  Okay, you can embarrass me.  But only you.  No one else.

I know how you feel about the channels.  I feel the same way but I am starting to get over it.  If I have subscriptions to Amazon Prime, Netflix, & Hulu Plus, I will have access to most of the shows.  I can watch them when I want to.  Right now, my DVR is full and I have to keep deleting things.  I just don't have the time to watch everything being offered.  AND, I don't think I really want to anymore.

I'll let you know when everything is in place.  I still have a landline that is now being run off a wi-fi signal.  I'll keep that phone for businesses.  My cell is for friends & family.
      October 5, 2017 6:03 PM MDT

TV is free-to-air or Netflix (wifi through the game console). I haven't had a landline phone for years - since the kids were teenagers and ran up a four figure phone bill. Internet is naked ADSL.
    I have a Samsung Galaxy S5. On contract with local provider Telstra at $80 per month.
      October 5, 2017 6:29 PM MDT

Thanks.  That's what I'm planning to do with the TV.  And my contract with Verizon is $85 for unlimited internet, so it's pretty comparable.  
      October 5, 2017 8:09 PM MDT

• "No TV, unlimited phone, internet ..... TWC.  No cellphone."

October 5, 2017 7:10 PM MDT

So Alf, you watch TV through your internet?  Do you do Netflix, Amazon, or Hulu?
      October 5, 2017 8:10 PM MDT

• No TV service.  I do have a number of TV series and movies, on DVD, that I watch from time to time.
      October 5, 2017 10:35 PM MDT

I cut the cord and now the Internet Companies are raising prices. You can't win when monopolies are involved.
      October 5, 2017 8:12 PM MDT

This is very true Mr. Bromide.
      October 6, 2017 5:53 AM MDT

Cable is way too overpriced. I don't need to pay someone to decide what I want to watch, and in the order I have to watch it in. Ridiculous. Most of the people who have it spend most of their time flicking/surfing channels. 
      October 5, 2017 8:40 PM MDT

It's true Righty.  I don't have the time to watch most of the shows or movies being offered.
      October 6, 2017 5:54 AM MDT

First of all, ship_wrecked must change his profile name as he's now rescued and floating in the mug like the rest of us...welcome Harry's Friend....we promise not to talk about Harry's Yard;))
    umm Harry, we have AT&T and shell out $135 for Internet and TV in addition we pay $40 for international Sling TV...;))
      October 5, 2017 11:28 PM MDT

Thank you Veena for making my friend feel welcome. :-)
    Every month the cost was rising.  I am currently being charged close to $250 per month for my services here in the boonies.  It's insane.
      October 6, 2017 5:56 AM MDT

Wow $250 is huge..Harry!
      October 6, 2017 11:32 PM MDT

That’s about where I’m at with Comcast. $125/month for TV and internet. What really grinds my gears is having to pay for so many channels I never watch.  
      October 6, 2017 7:49 PM MDT

Same here Lyrical....I too pay for channels I never watch;))
      October 6, 2017 11:34 PM MDT

Definitely wired for 'phone and Internet, and I keep my portable 'phone on PAYG, not a contract which would be a lot more expensive for me.

Nor do I use wire-less connections between the PC and everything else.   

I don't have any problems worth complaining about, though my Internet access is sometimes slow to load. Many people in the UK, especially in rural areas, are very dissatisfied because British Telecommunications' Open Reach division is unable to replace the copper or aluminium cables with optical-fibre rapidly enough to give these areas broad-band service similar to that near the exchanges, in towns.

Those in such areas who use entirely radio communications may be better off in accessibility, but only if they live in an area with good signal coverage. I discovered a sizeable area around my work site, where my phone would find no signal; and that was rural but not in some really remote patch of hill country.

I have a notion that it does not matter how much the system is improved, it will always be running on the spot at best because the moment the equipment manufacturers and the utilities increase the data capacity and speed, the software companies fill it up again with even more surplus rammel.
      October 6, 2017 5:44 PM MDT

Telephone at the home 20  -  POTS line (no cell service available at the old home location).
    Mobile phone service  -  T-Mobile
    Internet service at the home 20  -  T1 circuit via a company that buys service from Verizon and re-sells it. Dial-up and satellite are the only other options.
    Internet service elsewhere  -  tethered to the T-Mobile phone in "wireless hot-spot" mode.
    Television at the home 20  -  free, off air (no "cable" service at the home 20).
      October 6, 2017 6:49 PM MDT

I don' remember the last cable bill I had to pay...  10 years cable-sober...maybe...?  I survive on Netflix and Amazon...  they feed my addiction for cheesy movies quite efficiently. 
      October 6, 2017 7:41 PM MDT

Sorry I didn't see your response to my question SW.  You know that I will always put you ahead of anyone else here when I know you're around.;-)  What you've done is pretty much what I'm planning on doing.  Along with Hulu I think.
      October 10, 2017 7:01 PM MDT

The cord is cut, cable has just gotten to expensive. Much more cost effective options out there now.
      October 6, 2017 7:50 PM MDT

We cut the cord on cable a year ago. We used to pay 350 dollars for cable/internet and now we use utube and netflix. 78 dollars a month for both.

I have a Cricket phone LG MAX-2. Its huge and was only 99 dollars. My phone bill is 50 dollars a month, which includes unlimited data and messaging. I have the cheapskates package. ;+
      October 6, 2017 11:40 PM MDT