Active Now

Element 99
Malizz
Danilo_G
Discussion » Questions » Human Behavior » Could you move past being publicly called a MORON by an employee?Would you seek bigly revenge or fuggeddaboutit? Why?

Could you move past being publicly called a MORON by an employee?Would you seek bigly revenge or fuggeddaboutit? Why?

Posted - October 6, 2017

Responses

I've had my employees call me a moron before.  The first thing you want to do is get back at them (ingrates!).   However, the correct thing to do is make sure you aren't actually being a moron.  We are usually the last person to notice when we're being jerks.
      October 6, 2017 2:19 PM MDT

Seriously shuhak or are you teasing me? I cannot even imagine calling a boss a MORON in public. In private? There was this one guy who ALLEGEDLY had a Master's Degree in Finance from Harvard who didn't know the rudimentary rules of bookkeeping let alone anything beyond that. If moron there ever was he would be it. Or maybe a con artist. But I never said it aloud to anyone. I thought it but all I ever said was "he doesn't  know what he is talking about" when I resigned after 3 days on the job. Not to him. I gave my resignation to the owner's  secretary. But my resignation was not accepted. She was a very cool gal  and she took me out to lunch and told me they knew that he was ignorant and they were in the process of replacing him. So I stayed and it was the best work-related decision I ever made!  But I digress. Thank you for your reply and I think if what you state as "the correct thing to do" is what you did I salute you! This is an excellent way  to look it and I'm not sure I could do that! Happy Saturday! :) This post was edited by RosieG at October 7, 2017 3:54 AM MDT
      October 7, 2017 3:53 AM MDT

Yes, I'm serious.  I was a good boss with a great sense of humor.  However, due to my skills and that I made the company lots of money, I was heavily overworked.  There were times when I would get so stressed that I deserved to be called a moron (under stress one can do some really stupid things) or even a jerk.  As I said, we're usually the last person to know what we're like.  There are always employees who disagree with the boss (we're there to do a job, not make a ton of friends) or are just like to complain and call their boss names.  It's when the good employees call you names that you need to stop and take a look at yourself ... as they might be correct.
      October 8, 2017 6:31 PM MDT

Did you leave that job m'dear or did it leave you? Being heavily overworked is OK for a SHORT period of time. There are times when projects have impossible deadlines that crop up in every business. But as a regular daily thing it's very harmful.  I think being able to laugh at ourselves is a necessary attribute. It balances us out and keeps us from being condescending atrocious jerks. Being called a moron in public or private? I wouldn't take it so well. I admit ignorance and I also admit I can do/say really dumb things. But being publicly humiliated has never been something I could accept. It is very disrespectful and unnecessary. Say what you have to say in private.  That should go both ways by the way. Boss to subordinate or vice-versa. I guess there are some words to which we react differently. I also wouldn't like it if people called me a liar. Thank you for your thoughtful reply and Happy Monday shuhak! :)
      October 9, 2017 2:24 AM MDT

the stress got so bad my body quit working (heart problems, asthma, rotator cuff froze up and more).  I took some time off (as per doctor), but the company refused to take me back or even help me find a new position (I made them millions of dollars and when I had a job-caused problem, they turned their back on me).  I'm still unemployed (almost 2 years - although 1 year was filled with therapy), but happily I'm stress free (except for the lack of money stress) and healthy.

I agree, calling names is rude (to say the least).  I tried to be a humorous boss as it helped alleviate their stress and make the day easier (my employees even accused me of giving them laugh lines). 

October 10, 2017 9:41 AM MDT

((hugs)) That is beyond evil and awful shuhak. Oh in case you don't know I'm almost 80 so I'm very harmless. I'm glad you're stress-free now and healthy. The money thing? We can relate. My Jim is almost 82. We RENT. We have social security and a modest investment so we're doing OK. But it sure would be nice to NEVER HAVE TO WORRY about running out of money. Oh well. We're very grateful and lucky. Others are in much worse shape medically and financially. No complaints but we can relate! Thank you for your reply shuhak and Happy Tuesday! :)
      October 10, 2017 9:57 AM MDT

Neither. I'd just fire them immediately. It's not revenge. It's just a fact that people with no loyalty or respect make poor servants. I simply do what is in my interest. Only a weak servile pathetic person would tolerate disrespect like that.

October 6, 2017 2:42 PM MDT

i might turn that person in for talking to me that way
      October 6, 2017 3:51 PM MDT