Active Now

Danilo_G
Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Human Behavior » Both Men and Women! Do you appreciate it when someone holds a door open for you?

Both Men and Women! Do you appreciate it when someone holds a door open for you?

My late husband was a true gentleman.  He always held the door open for women.  My girlfriends were very jealous.  It doesn't happen very often in today's world.  You're lucky if someone doesn't let the door slam shut in your face!  

On Friday, I must have been giving off some *intense vibes.  Not once, but twice, men held a door open for me.   I actually love it and I appreciate it.  AND, I let the holder know that I appreciate it.  Okay, get your minds out of the gutter.  I didn't have sex with them.  BUT, I did thank them both and told them I appreciated it.

Ladies, do you get offended when someone holds the door open for you?  

Men, do you hold the door open for women (or men)?

*another man walked up to me and said "Howdy."   That was just weird.  We're in New England.  He should have said "HeyHowAhyah?"

Posted - October 8, 2017

Responses

Lol!
    ~
      October 8, 2017 5:49 PM MDT

LOL!!!
      October 9, 2017 8:13 AM MDT

Of course I appreciate it. I appreciate it even more If I'm a long distance from the door, and the person stands there holding it open. And I appreciate it even more than that If I'm carrying something heavy. lol 
      October 8, 2017 3:56 PM MDT

Yes, both those instances are very much appreciated Righty.  With one of the men, I was a good distance away.  I was very pleasantly surprised that he chose to wait for me.  Maybe he just enjoyed watching me walk toward him. lol. ;-)
      October 8, 2017 5:42 PM MDT

Duh, Harry, what else did you expect the guy would have done?

Posted by: Harry to LyricalOne

"You're right. I have fantastic boobs.
    October 8, 2017 1:34 PM PDT
    "

October 8, 2017 5:52 PM MDT

LMFAO!  I knew that was the reason he was holding the door open for me. I was hoping he was just a nice man being considerate. lol.
      October 9, 2017 1:23 PM MDT

By the way, Miss, I suddenly find myself with a strange craving for a refreshing fruit salad. Would you happen to know where the nearest grocery is located?

~
      October 9, 2017 10:34 PM MDT

LMAO! Under my blouse.
      October 10, 2017 4:19 AM MDT

I know, right?

~
      October 10, 2017 5:48 AM MDT

Yes I really do....and many wait there for up to two weeks for the privalidge .......hehe 
      October 8, 2017 3:59 PM MDT

Yes, I appreciate it  when someone does that.  I always smile and say thank you, and stuff.   I do also hold doors open for others.  I do not exactly appreciate it  when people act like I'm  the "door person"  or something, and keep streaming in.  Even  if I WAS, it doesn't take much effort to at least nod or mumble a thanks.  :)  
      October 8, 2017 5:26 PM MDT

Yes, as long as it isn't awkward.  I've had men almost fall, or trip me,  trying to reach the door handle before I do.  That is not appreciated.
      October 8, 2017 6:19 PM MDT

yes
    it's a kind gesture
      October 8, 2017 8:31 PM MDT

Yes, I do appreciate it and I always say "thank you."  I do the same for others.  What I find irritating is someone walking through a door and not looking to see if anyone is behind them and having the door close in my face and, like Piper, I don't like it when I hold the door for one person and other stream in as though I'm the doorman. 
      October 8, 2017 9:48 PM MDT

Yeppers.  I don't find it to be uncommon, though, both men and women here often hold the door for others, as do I.
      October 8, 2017 10:14 PM MDT

• I appreciate when anyone holds a door for me, man or woman. I will hold doors open for people, doesn't matter the gender of the person to me. 
      October 8, 2017 10:31 PM MDT

I expect every man to be chivalrous enough like a knight;))
      October 8, 2017 10:34 PM MDT

Yes I do it. I was raised to do it. I do it for both men and women in the sense that I wouldn't just let the door slam in anyone's face. Though it's done in a slightly different way for women and especially for a woman I'm with.

It's a stronger gesture when you open the door and let the other person go through first. There are two ways you can do this. In submissive kind of way like they're opening the door for an authority figure, or in a protective shepherding kind of way like you're looking after someone.

I spent many years in the far east. Etiquette is a bit different there, especially in Japan. Men come first and women come second. In Korea it's more equal. There are lots of little gestures that women traditionally perform for men such as refilling his glass which I found very sweet. On valentine's day women give gifts to men. (There is another day called white day where men give to women.) The west is very gynocentric. It's pretty much a one way street.

Feminism has ruined the west. Some feminists demand such treatment as a way to assert matriarchal dominance. They see it as a gesture of submission from men. Some are offended by such gestures as if it implies their weakness and inability to open their own doors. It's all pretty psychotic.

Women really need to decide what they want. If they want equality with men they can't expect to retain their traditional privileges of gentle treatment. It's entitled and princessy.

This post was edited by Zeitgeist at October 9, 2017 8:11 AM MDT
      October 9, 2017 1:16 AM MDT

Dunno why a real gentleman like you would post that mug you use for an avatar. 
      October 9, 2017 1:36 AM MDT

Trump is a gentleman. He is known for promoting women to senior positions in the Trump organization. He's just too egalitarian for his own good. He has treated women too equally and ironically that is the surest way to be thought of as a misogynist pig. 

Women don't want equal treatment. Women can't handle equal treatment. Women feel entitled to be treated gently even when they're not being gentle themselves. Men who pay some lip service to equality but really just treat women like they're about half way between an adult and a child, are considered gentlemen. This post was edited by Zeitgeist at October 9, 2017 8:11 AM MDT
      October 9, 2017 2:42 AM MDT

Thanks, I needed a good laugh.

October 9, 2017 2:47 AM MDT

Theresa May thinks Trump must be a gentleman because he touched her HAND -and nowhere else.
      October 9, 2017 8:37 AM MDT

Trump has never touched a woman inappropriately. The "grab em by p*ssy" tape was an alpha male boasting about how receptive women tend to be to the advances of celebrity billionaires. It did not in any way endorse harassment or sexual assault as the left wing media tried to spin it.
      October 9, 2017 9:32 AM MDT

Oh.
      October 9, 2017 10:30 AM MDT