Active Now

Chief Ten Beers
Discussion » Questions » Religion and Spirituality » SIN. MORTAL SIN. Are they the same or different? If different, how?

SIN. MORTAL SIN. Are they the same or different? If different, how?

Posted - October 13, 2017

Responses

"Mortal sin" is a pleonasm. Only mortals are capable of sinning.
      October 13, 2017 3:51 AM MDT

Pleonasm. Redundancy. Thank you for a new word( to me) JakobA. Never heard or saw it before. As the dictionary describes it that is like saying "free gift" or "true fact". Animals can't sin? I'm gonna ask that question. When they kill other living things it is just their "nature" and they have no control over it? Well maybe those who sin also have that going for them. It's their nature. They can't help it. Thank you for your reply! :)
      October 13, 2017 4:29 AM MDT

I don know about animals, they too are mortal, but menally incapable of understanding the concept of sin, mostly they act on instinct not on consious intent.
      October 14, 2017 7:37 PM MDT

Cute and clever---but "mortal" is being used as an adjective, not as a noun.  Pleonasm---nice word, unable to be figured out by any clue in the context, and devilishly hard to work into everyday conversation, but an interesting addition to my vocabulary.  
      October 13, 2017 9:35 PM MDT

According to what I was able to find out, there are two types of sin, venial and mortal, the former can be forgiven by god and the latter means eternal damnation.

If you are into fairy stories here is a short explanation.

Mortal sin is called mortal because it is the "spiritual" death of the soul (separation from God). If we are in the state of grace it loses this supernatural life for us. If we die without repenting we will lose Him for eternity. However, by turning our hearts back to Him and receiving the Sacrament of Penance we are restored to His friendship. Catholics are not allowed to receive Communion if they have unconfessed mortal sins.

Venial sins are slight sins. They do not break our friendship with God, although they injure it. They involve disobedience of the law of God in slight (venial) matters. If we gossip and destroy a person's reputation it would be a mortal sin. However, normally gossip is about trivial matters and only venially sinful. Additionally, something that is otherwise a mortal sin (e.g. slander) may be in a particular case only a venial sin. The person may have acted without reflection or under force of habit. Thus, not fully intending the action their guilt before God is reduced. It is always good to remember, especially those who are trying to be faithful but sometimes fall, that for mortal sin it must not only be 1) serious matter, but 2) the person must know it is serious and then 3) freely commit it.

October 13, 2017 4:28 AM MDT

Labeling it a fairy story is kinda insulting to those who are religious mom. I think perhaps you could have omitted that without detracting from the comprehensive, helpful and thoughtful reply to my question. Just a suggestion. It was egregious editorializing in my opinion which has nothing to do with the value of what you contributed. I'm just sayin'!  Thank you and Happy Friday to you m'dear!  :)
      October 13, 2017 4:36 AM MDT

I am not insulting religion, I am describing religion.
      October 13, 2017 4:43 AM MDT

Well since you are not religious, you are simply describing what you think happens when someone believes in God and acts accordingly.

We find you as amusing as you find us.
      October 13, 2017 9:27 PM MDT

I can assure you that I find neither you nor what you believe in to be in the least bit amusing.
      October 13, 2017 9:44 PM MDT

Are you telling me you have no sense of humor?  

Perhaps you live in fear that what I say is true?

I've heard a good offense is the best defense....
      October 13, 2017 9:48 PM MDT

If you find religious wars, jihads, crusades, inquisitions (another good Catholic principle?) censoring of free speech, brainwashing of children, forcing children into underage marriage,male and female genital mutilation. stonings, pederasity, homophobia, and rejection of science to mention but a few to be amusing, then I am glad that I have no sense of humour.

I live in fear that religitards get their ultimate wish, which would appear to be some kind of final showdown with that other mythical character satan thus taking every other poor fcuker with them, as should you and every other sane person.

I have no need for an offence as I am not defending anything.
      October 13, 2017 10:14 PM MDT

Well, let's see. You seem to be at war against religion (which you seem to think has heretofore been given a "pass")---that sounds like a jihad.  And you questions are like an inquisition.  A parent sharing their humanity and beliefs with the children and what they are convinced is true is an odd definition of "brainwashing."  Forcing children into underage marriage would be culturally based. Genital mutilation is also cultural.  Christ had a dim view of stoning.  Pederasty is an individual failing---the non-religious are equally capable of pederasty.  I am 100% heterosexual.  I am 100% homophobic as well---I do not understand homosexuality and God has chosen not to explain it to me.  I do not fear it.  I do choose to remain silent on the subject for those reasons. And the assertion of "rejection of science" is an inaccurate description of the reality.

So give me a valid reason why you have no sense of humor, please.

Your comment about the ultimate wish of "religitards" (which to me is a word for non-believers, but I'll use your definition for the moment) is that you fear that they will " get their ultimate wish, which would appear to be some kind of final showdown with that other mythical character satan thus taking every other poor fcuker with them"

So you fear that there might actually be a final showdown with a MYTHICAL creature (Satan) that you don't even think exists---Oh my goodness!.  

That kind of tells me that maybe you really do live in fear that what I say is true....
      October 14, 2017 12:17 PM MDT

So now in religitard language anyone commenting on religion in a less than positive way is now on a jihad, get real!!!!!
    I can imagine my questions could prove emotionally painful to someone with no answers but they are not accompanied by the thumb screws or the rack and you are certainly in no danger of of being burned alive.
    I wonder how I could possibly have thought that 'A parent sharing their humanity and beliefs with the children and what they are convinced is true' could be seen as brain washing.

These are only two of many examples of brainwashing by religion to be found.
    'Forcing children into underage marriage would be culturally based. Genital mutilation is also cultural' now you really are dredging the bottom of the barrel, yes it is cultural but it is also demanded in some religions and both the mutilation and the marriages are performed by religious leaders within the culture.
    Christ may have had a dim view of stoning but his daddy was right into it.
    True the non-religious are equally capable of pederasty but the non-religious go straight to jail, they do not pass go, they do not collect for passing go, the child rapists in your church are protected and shuffled around to other locations to continue their disgusting acts.
    So by your own admission you are homophobic.
    'The assertion of "rejection of science" is an inaccurate description of the reality.' Tell that to Answers in Genesis and the Discovery Institute.
    'So give me a valid reason why you have no sense of humor' as above.
    Whether I believe in satan or not bears no relationship to whether religitards believe it enough to go to war over it as can be seen by Bush's comment that god had told him to invade Iraq and then proceeded to fake evidence to justify what his god had told him to do.
    I have no idea why you feel justified in saying 'That kind of tells me that maybe you really do live in fear that what I say is true'

October 14, 2017 2:11 PM MDT

Protestants believe there is no "hierarchy" of sins that that all are equally bad and offensive to God and disobedient of God. 
      October 13, 2017 4:59 AM MDT

Might check Catholic Catechisms for that. As far as what the Bible says, you might look up the scriptures in the following article:

https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/2007525?q=%22Have+You+Sinned+Against+the+Holy+Spirit%22&p=par
    Have You Sinned Against the Holy Spirit?
    “There is a sin that does incur death.”—1 JOHN 5:16.
    “I HAVE been obsessed with the thought that I have sinned against the holy spirit.” So wrote a woman in Germany, although she was serving God. Can a Christian actually sin against God’s holy spirit, or active force?
    2 Yes, it is possible to sin against Jehovah’s holy spirit. “Every sort of sin and blasphemy will be forgiven men,” said Jesus Christ, “but the blasphemy against the spirit will not be forgiven.” (Matthew 12:31) We are warned: “If we practice sin willfully after having received the accurate knowledge of the truth, there is no longer any sacrifice for sins left, but there is a certain fearful expectation of judgment.” (Hebrews 10:26, 27) And the apostle John wrote: “There is a sin that does incur death.” (1 John 5:16) But is it left to the one who has sinned seriously to determine whether he has committed “a sin that does incur death”?

Repentance Brings Forgiveness
    They Sinned Against the Spirit
    They Did Not Sin Against the Spirit
    Allaying Fear About Sin

October 13, 2017 6:41 AM MDT

It is  bad enough wading through the first fairy story without having to deal with JW's fairy story on top if it.
      October 13, 2017 6:48 AM MDT

Hello myonemaster. You could just avoid the religion section if it's that bad on you? I think that most people tend to talk about religion here.

Jesus loves you.
      October 13, 2017 2:43 PM MDT

And Jesus also loves you, texasescimo.

And I love both of you.  You both state your positions clearly.  That helps everybody  (CS Lewis's (d. 1963, well known Christian apologist) once commented that just because there is error in one direction, that doesn't mean there isn't error in the opposite direction.)
      October 13, 2017 9:40 PM MDT

And what do you think I am talking about?????
      October 13, 2017 5:23 PM MDT

I thought you were complaining about having to wade through stuff that generally gets posted in the religion section?
    If all that post in the religion section are those opposed to all religion, then who are going to have left to demean? 
      October 13, 2017 6:51 PM MDT

Tex it is abundantly clear that you and thinking are not the best of mates. I commented on what you posted and what I waded through in order to make my comment. No doubt it would suit you just fine if I gave the religious section a miss but religions, all religions, have  had a free ride for far too long, those days are past now, time to come up with proof for your claims.

'then who are going to have left to demean?' makes no sense but considering where it came from I am not surprised.
      October 13, 2017 8:22 PM MDT

God Himself established the means for individuals to find the proof they need that He exists and has a plan for men.

If you can't understand what God has said---far be it from any of us believers to think God needs help to get through to you.

You serve Him in your disbelief.  Perhaps He has chosen to hide Himself from you---and even for a while longer.
      October 13, 2017 9:46 PM MDT

Of course you have proof of 'God Himself established the means for individuals to find the proof they need that He exists and has a plan for men'? if he has indeed a plan for man then he/she/it is one sick individual.
    Of course you have proof of what god is alleged to have said to anyone?
    'Perhaps He has chosen to hide Himself from you' and perhaps he/she/it simply does not exist, any more than the many hundreds of gods past and present that you do not believe in, perhaps they have chosen to hide themselves from you---and even for a while longer.
      October 13, 2017 9:56 PM MDT

Totally non-responsive in any meaningful way.
      October 14, 2017 12:20 PM MDT