Active Now

Danilo_G
Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Communication » The words you choose to use when you engage with others reflects the degree of respect/lack thereof you have for them. Are you ALWAYS CIVIL?

The words you choose to use when you engage with others reflects the degree of respect/lack thereof you have for them. Are you ALWAYS CIVIL?

CIVIL

Not deficient in common courtesy. 

Posted - October 13, 2017

Responses

I always start off civil, but the amount of people who are passive aggressive in person is unreal these days. I can only take so much of it. 
      October 13, 2017 12:05 PM MDT

You know righty what IS "Passive Aggressive"? I KNOW what passive is and you can't help but figure out what aggressive is. Passive aggressive? Can you give me an example of what a passive aggressive person would say?  Thank you for your reply and Happy Sunday!  :)
      October 15, 2017 3:43 AM MDT

It's when people are pretending to be nice, but they're really being mean. And when you call them out on it they pretend that they're only joking. 
      October 15, 2017 10:10 AM MDT

Can you give me an example in words righty? If they are pretending to be nice there is nothing to call them out on is there? If they being mean then calling them is appropriate. So I'm really confused now. The dictionary examples of passive aggressive are stubborness, procrastination and pouting. I think that's ridiculous. Thank you for your reply and Happy Monday! :)
      October 16, 2017 5:50 AM MDT

Passive-aggressive is talking endlessly about how civil and cordial you are and then pointedly and rudely ignoring people because they don't agree with you. It means you are pretending to be nice, but actually being disrespectful. Clear enough? Or are you 'ignoring' me again?
      October 15, 2017 10:14 AM MDT

Of course, I'm civil even if people disagree with me. However, if they are rude enough, they may forfeit the right to be treated civilly.  
      October 15, 2017 3:05 PM MDT

I just leave. I don't  go down to their level. I avoid them because I know time spent with them will be wasted and I don't have time to waste. So there is never an  excuse to be uncivil. Just leave. Period. Thank you for your reply Malizz and Happy Monday!:)
      October 16, 2017 5:51 AM MDT

I once tried walking away. Unfortunately my shopping trolley just happened to baulk his car, which seemed to wind him up somewhat to the point that I was forced to defend myself with a well aimed kick to his nether region despite said trolley being between us.

Sadly the law took his side. Pity, the cop was a pal of mine but that didn't help.  
      October 16, 2017 4:52 PM MDT

Let me get this straight Malizz. You tried walking away and when "the other guy" wouldn't let you then you defended yourself and YOU GOT BLAMED? And the cop  knew you? Something stinks big-time about that m'dear. I thought everyone had the right to defend him/herself. Thank you for your reply and Happy Tuesday!  :)
      October 17, 2017 2:00 AM MDT

Aye well. Helpful third party moved trolley allowing guy to leave car and remonstrate (as the lawyers put it). He also interposed the trolley between us, not that that stopped me. However he had not witnessed the original incivility. What got me was that my dog escaped from my car allowing them to take my (memorable) registration number. My wife and mother also got in on the act. Apparently his wife and daughters were slightly upset. 
      October 17, 2017 7:17 AM MDT

I do try to be civil. It does get hard sometimes people are just rude many times.
      October 16, 2017 6:04 AM MDT

You are always civil m2c. One of the qualities I most appreciate about thee. Now I've been meaning to mention this to you. Years ago on Answerbag it seems to me you used to be insulting. In fact quite insulting. Am I remembering that incorrectly? Then one day you stopped and from then on you always focused on just answering the question I asked. Mostly straightforward and rarely ever editorializing. I really value you for that. Some folks ALWAYS make the question I ask about me. You don't. You just answer it. Did you consciously decide to turn a new leaf or did it just occur organically and naturally? I've wondered about that for a few years now. No disrespect intended my friend.  Thank you for your reply! :)
      October 17, 2017 2:04 AM MDT

AB it was allowed and I gave back what I got. There were a lot more people on AB in the Political section...some were rude. (I think only you and I are left from the old AB poltical section)  And few simply lied, one had a regular habit of taking a politicians quote and posting a part of it while twisting it to sound like something not even close to the true quote. I started answering with the full quote and explaining showing the twist, twisting  that was done. To my knowledge that user is not here. 
    That said I only gave back what I felt got on AB (if you innocently  got caught in crossfire, I do apogolize)...but of course that is not how it works here on the Mug. 

This post was edited by my2cents at October 19, 2017 4:51 AM MDT
      October 17, 2017 4:59 AM MDT

Thanks m2c. It was something I wanted to bring up before now but I wasn't sure how you would take it. I know you much better now so I trust you and I kinda know that I can say anything that's on on my mind and you will ALWAYS take it the best way possible and you don't look for any dark side. I usually just say things straight out although on occasion there are ulterior meanings hidden therein but mostly there are not.  Now I KNOW why! ((hugs)) I think by now we're pretty secure with each other. I don't mean to put words in your mouth. I'm secure with you! Period! :) Oh..if you didn't know my entire perception of whom you are changed when I told you about how worried I was about  David's cancer a few years ago. You helped me a lot to focus on the important things then. You reached out to help out. I will never forget that! Just so ya know! :)
      October 17, 2017 5:18 AM MDT

Some people have so many rough edges, it seems appropriate to sometimes file down the ones that are potentially the most hurtful to others.  

October 17, 2017 11:11 AM MDT

Voluntarily or would that be something imposed on the rough edges person by others? Thank you for your reply tom and Happy Thursday! :)
      October 19, 2017 4:39 AM MDT