Active Now

Randy D
Malizz
Danilo_G
Discussion » Questions » Religion and Spirituality » Does one using ad hominems, demeaning, belittling, name calling, cussing at you, etc, make you wan't to believe and be like them?

Does one using ad hominems, demeaning, belittling, name calling, cussing at you, etc, make you wan't to believe and be like them?

If there intent is to make you see their light, how much success can they really expect?
Is there a better approach?

Posted - October 14, 2017

Responses

How do you know I'm not already like that? (I'm not.) Sounds like you and a JW are having a spat. This post was edited by Element 99 at October 14, 2017 4:46 PM MDT
      October 14, 2017 4:45 PM MDT

Why do you say that? Has a JW cussed at you lately?
      October 14, 2017 4:54 PM MDT

Not really, just throwing it out there with a SWAG.
      October 14, 2017 5:00 PM MDT

What's a SWAG? (If it's something everyone else knows, forgive me. I had to ask Randy D what a tilde was. lol)
      October 14, 2017 5:03 PM MDT

Scientific Wild Ass Guess. I was wrong, so I am over it.
      October 14, 2017 5:07 PM MDT

Oh my. lol
      October 14, 2017 5:13 PM MDT

• No, it doesn't make me want to believe and be like them. As you know, I don't agree with everything you believe but I don't remember our discussions ever ending up in a name-calling, adolescent brawl. This is the religious/spirituality section of AnswerMug so if a Bible question is asked, I would, in most cases, expect the Bible to be used to answer those questions. Some of those asking a Bible question may not want you to use the Bible to answer but if that's the case, perhaps they shouldn't have asked that Bible question to begin with. That's one of the things I always appreciated about our discussions. You used the Bible to answer any question that I or others may have had. The one's launching the name-calling and various other attacks do nothing to bolster their position let alone making me want to believe like they do or to be like them.
      October 17, 2017 1:50 PM MDT

Thank you Hezekiah, that was kind. 
    There is at least one member that seems to think that his attacks will change people to agree with him, or else he just does it for kicks? One had answered something about me posting some JW stuff as a valid reason for his attacks but his answer is gone. I'm guessing a moderator, unless he just saw the hatefulness and unreasonableness in attacking people just because they don't believe like he does?
      October 18, 2017 5:24 AM MDT

• Tex, I'm usually quite blunt and frank in my dealings with people and some mistake that for an attack but that's just not the case. That said, there are a fair amount of individuals that do attack because they can. Some attack because they disagree with you or you disagree with them. Others attack because of the hatred they have for pretty much anyone or anything that may challenge their beliefs or system of beliefs. And then there are some who simply hate life in general and it shows. Launching hate-filled, caustic, and name-calling attacks on someone just doesn't float the boat for most people.
      October 18, 2017 7:01 AM MDT

Would not do anything for me in terms of listening to anything a person was saying.
      October 18, 2017 5:56 AM MDT

Thank you for answering my2cents. I wonder what people like that think that they are accomplishing? 
      October 18, 2017 6:54 AM MDT

Some just like to argue. 
      October 18, 2017 6:57 AM MDT

And some just get off on deleting replies
      October 23, 2017 2:20 AM MDT

Only posts that are in violation of the TOS here are deleted.
      October 23, 2017 4:17 AM MDT

Perhaps you would like to read your mail regarding that.
      October 23, 2017 6:26 AM MDT

Any issues you have with moderation maybe taken up with JA. 
      October 23, 2017 6:47 AM MDT