Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Human Behavior » Is it true that misogyny is tied to a man's relationship with his mother?

Is it true that misogyny is tied to a man's relationship with his mother?

Posted - October 14, 2017

Responses

Since I don't think I am one, (You should know that.) it would be difficult to answer. BUT, since I didn't have much of relationship with her could be the reason I am not one.
      October 14, 2017 4:51 PM MDT

Bill Clinton had a very close relationship with his mother. She shaped him into the man he is today.

Donald Trump mother was a kind hearted woman.

October 14, 2017 5:39 PM MDT

• I think so, yes.

My father's mother was bi-polar. Her unpredictable swings into long mood-states of terrifying anger left him permanently distrustful of all women. It was unconscious. I don't believe he ever had any insight into why he was heterosexual and yet could only hate the object of his desire.

But pathological conditions aside, it is incredibly difficult to be a good parent, to get the balances right.

Modern versions of psychoanalytic theory says that the ability to create good relationships must start from a mother's loving and secure bond with the baby. The most crucial phase is during weaning and "separation" as the child develops a separate sense of identity and begins to relate to others. If those others provide closeness, welcome and security, the child transitions without developing hatred of women.

If a mother smothers, rejects, over-dominates/controls, is cruel, neglects, or over-indulges a child and does not set boundaries for the toddler - all of these can lead to different forms of hating women.
      October 15, 2017 1:16 AM MDT

might be tied to the size of something else.
    i had no relationship with my mother
    since she threw me away at birth,
    only two step moms
    of which neither loved me.
    ...but none of that stopped my love.
    BUT
    I have never had a deep relationship
    aside from being friends... This post was edited by Baba at October 15, 2017 11:26 AM MDT
      October 15, 2017 11:22 AM MDT

We are all the product of nurture, nature and personal choice.
      October 15, 2017 11:28 AM MDT

• I had a rocky and unstable relationship with mom but I'm nothing of a misogynist.  Since evidence is clear that a child's greatest influence comes from the same sex role parent or replacement figure, I'd say dad has more to do with it in regards to boys.
      October 15, 2017 3:37 PM MDT

Don't say that. Please don't say that!! 
      October 15, 2017 8:24 PM MDT

• May I ask why?
      October 15, 2017 8:28 PM MDT

I have sons and a creepy misogynist of an ex. :[

I guess sometimes it's not really a negative thing when a parent can't be bothered to spend much time with their children. 
      October 15, 2017 8:34 PM MDT

• Hmm.  I see your concern with the possibility of what I said.
    If true though, there's hope.   The influence factor is determined about who the child asubconsciously sees as the leading same sex role model. Being the biological parent isn't really important here.  It would really depend on how much the child looks up him and wants to emulate him as opposed to other male authority figures in their lives.  If they have a rocky relationship there's very good chance the child has the paternal attachment to another male.
    There's also the fact that opposite sex relatives can take over the figure role when the the attachement to a same sex role model  isn't possible or present.
      October 15, 2017 8:46 PM MDT