Active Now

Spunky
Discussion » Questions » Finance » If you happened on a faulty ATM machine that paid out double the money you asked for, would you tell the bank?

If you happened on a faulty ATM machine that paid out double the money you asked for, would you tell the bank?

Or would you milk it for all the money you could before the repairman came and fixed it ?

Posted - October 15, 2017

Responses

• yes. Only because the banks always find out about that stuff and demand it back and will report you as stealing it if you don't.  They have a way of spinning it as a theft in the legalities department.
      October 16, 2017 12:14 AM MDT

It actually did happen to me once. Some idiot had packed the machine with bills fresh from the mint (they tend to stick together at the edges) so I got more than I asked for. I did not check the rexiept but I suppose it showed ther amount the robot thought it had counted out. I must admit I did not tell the bank.
      October 16, 2017 7:34 AM MDT

Shopkeeper jailed after $1.3 million paid into his bank account by mistake

October 16, 2017 12:35 AM MDT

Report it for sure
    it would be on the record
    that it was paid out to you
    and you would be responsible
      October 16, 2017 12:45 AM MDT

you are SO right.......and besides, I wasn't raised that way!!  honesty!! that's the ticket!!!
    and you could possibly get a small reward for being honest......and it you don't you still did the right thing!!
      August 30, 2018 8:35 AM MDT

Last time it happened, the bank just had to lump it, probably because all the small sums involved (limited to the person's daily withdrawal allowance) weren't worth the legal hassle..  This post was edited by Malizz at October 16, 2017 7:24 AM MDT
      October 16, 2017 4:55 AM MDT

Not if my receipt backed up only what I asked for. Then they would have to prove they overpaid me by some other means. I would have proof that they did not.
      October 16, 2017 4:58 AM MDT