Active Now

Element 99
Discussion » Questions » Human Behavior » Is it a good thing to feel inferior in some way because it can give you the ambition to try harder?

Is it a good thing to feel inferior in some way because it can give you the ambition to try harder?

Posted - October 16, 2017

Responses

Not me. I am quite inferior to the guys downstairs doing my kitchen, but that is not going make me try hard to be a carpenter. In the things I am interested in and CAN do I do not feel inferior. Ofttimes I must quell my need to show superiority, though, as it makes me look like and arrogant snob.
      October 16, 2017 10:55 AM MDT

Perhaps yes unless someone shows genuine interest in your particular store of knowledge. 

Guy I know was a carpenter and was paid  $40.00 for a small job by someone.  So he brags to his s/o  how smart he is to be a carpenter then she shows him her university degree saying 'you work with your hands, I work with my mind' this started another of their many fights. Their marriage did last 7 years though. 
      October 16, 2017 11:53 AM MDT

For some that would work just the opposite.  I think feeling realistic about yourself is the best option.
    Enjoy your talents and work on the things you want to improve on.  No reason to "feel" inferior.
    Feelings can change in a minute.  
      October 16, 2017 11:12 AM MDT

Are we talking about being humble? If so, yes, I think it helps us maintain perspective, not become too full of oneself.

This post was edited by Don Barzini at October 16, 2017 12:48 PM MDT
      October 16, 2017 12:34 PM MDT

maybe with some people but not me
      October 16, 2017 4:48 PM MDT