Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » The NFL isn't gonna FORCE players to stand during the National Anthem. I think da prez is really ticked off. Are you? Why?

The NFL isn't gonna FORCE players to stand during the National Anthem. I think da prez is really ticked off. Are you? Why?

Posted - October 18, 2017

Responses

• I'm thrilled to death that the NFL thugs showed their true colors. It freed up my Sunday afternoons in a big way. I wouldn't support them if they were playing in my back yard and I had a free ticket.
      October 19, 2017 2:08 PM MDT

I think it's telling that our country let's the media and politicians get away with misdirection, rather than focusing on the very serious reason so many players are protesting.

We don't want to discuss how bad "race relations" still are in our country, so we pretend the protest is against the troops/flag/anything else. This post was edited by Walt O'Reagun at October 20, 2017 3:01 AM MDT
      October 19, 2017 2:36 PM MDT

EXACTAMUNDO Walt! Precisely! The protest has zero to do with flag and country and patriotism. It is a protest against racial injustice..specifically to highlight all the unarmed young black men who were killed by cops who just walked. BLACK LIVES MATTER. To not acknowledge that is an injustice in itself but facing the truth isn't what "those people" who are against peaceful protest like to do. So they redirect/deflect to a subject they can handle. They don't realize in so doing how very unpatriotic they are. Thumbing their noses at a Constitutional RIGHT is not the sign of a patriot. SIGH. Thank you for your thoughtful reply and Happy Friday! :)
      October 20, 2017 3:04 AM MDT

Personally ... I think the players are going about it all wrong.

I think they should stand for the anthem and pledge ... then walk onto the field and sit down.
    It would be especially effective if every team did it, during those times that multiple games are scheduled at the same time.

I'd really love to see them get athletes in other sports to join the protest in that way.

The vast majority of sports fans don't care about the protest because it doesn't really disrupt the game.

October 20, 2017 7:30 AM MDT

I'm not sure I understand you Walt. When you say walk onto the field and sit down you mean the football field proper and not the benches, right? Wouldn't that delay the game? The way the guys are doing it now it doesn't. I honestly think it is sad to make such a big deal out of it when there are other far more pressing and substantive things to deal with. Thank you for your thoughtful answer. I wonder how the owners would like to see that? All the players sitting down on the field of play. For how long?   Happy Friday m'dear! :) I think the issue should not be whether or not folks would do it themselves. It should be supporting the Constitutional right of other citizens to do it. :) This post was edited by RosieG at October 20, 2017 8:08 AM MDT
      October 20, 2017 8:07 AM MDT

Yep ... walk onto the playing field, and delay the game.  That MIGHT cause more people to think about the issue, especially since they would do it after "respecting" the anthem and Pledge.
      October 20, 2017 10:14 AM MDT

Now that would be interesting to see.

If the caused delays screw with the broadcast schedules and costs the owners and the networks lost revenue through lost commercial time instead of generating free publicity . . . the team owners will shut down the "protesting" in a BIGLY hurry.
      October 20, 2017 10:44 AM MDT

I wonder what the players' union had to say, during their meeting with management about the protests?

October 20, 2017 2:56 PM MDT

Would not matter what the union had to say....any players doing that would fired very quickly. 
      October 21, 2017 8:38 AM MDT

Ya know what Walt? I LIKE IT! It would indeed be a more dramatic and cohesive show of protest. Maybe the players will talk amongst themselves and figger it out. One can hope. Thank you for your reply and  Happy Saturday! :)
      October 21, 2017 6:54 AM MDT

No not really their business.  If the players don't respect this country that is their thing.  But, funny thing, this country gives them a platform to express their disrespect - and they don't even seem to respect that!  I don't care about sports and they can all go to the devil as far as I am concerned.  I remember the days when people DID respect this country and I miss that. 
      October 20, 2017 8:18 AM MDT

I miss those days too. People should travel abroad, then they would appreciate our freedom here in the USA .
      October 20, 2017 8:21 AM MDT

I agree with Walt, this whole issue, is taking away from the real issue, black lives matter/there right to a peaceful protest. 
    I don't think the players should be forced to stand. It's only been a couple years since they have been on the field for the star spangled banner /pledge of alligence, they used to sit in the locker room during  it. The NFL has one positive, tv ratings have been down, but now ratings are up. 

This post was edited by ally at October 22, 2017 2:07 AM MDT
      October 20, 2017 8:28 AM MDT

"a couple of years"??? It has been that way for at least a couple of decades (as long as I can remember) 
      October 21, 2017 7:47 AM MDT

((hugs)) You nailed it ally! Exactly. The folks who complain loudest don't have a clue what the protest is about. Not a clue! You do! Thank you for your reply and Happy Sunday! :)
      October 22, 2017 2:08 AM MDT

NFL TV ratings are going down the dumper (as much as a 20% drop, which is BIGLY in the TV ratings world) so it's going to end up being a marketplace decision anyhow (as it should be).

Just remember, it's those "deplorables" that make up the biggest portion of the NFL audience . . . 
      October 20, 2017 9:21 AM MDT

It's not really a democratic country at all if the USA or any government has to Force its populis /players to stand for a national anthem.....it more something a dictatorship would do I think..... 
      October 21, 2017 7:21 AM MDT

• The overpaid spoiled and coddled brats of the NFL could use some exposure to an authentic dictatorship. The problem is that they know as well as anyone that there is no other place you can make millions for playing a game except here, flags, anthems and all. All of us that have tuned out on Sunday love the way these people love to run their mouths, yet, they don't put any of their money where their mouth is. They are like the blow hards in entertainment that threaten to leave the country every time an election runs contrary to what they want.
      October 21, 2017 8:54 AM MDT

I dont understand how any sportsperson can make countless millions from kicking.knocking if throwing balls about....they should all get honesty jobs but don't think they would have the intelligence or will power for that....
      October 21, 2017 9:25 AM MDT

Well it was the despot dictator Donald John Trump who initially called the players SOB's and implied the owners should FIRE them! The Donald John is supposed to uphold the Constitution. Here he is abrogating one of the rights we are GUARANTEED..peaceful protest...and the worst thing about it is so many folks agree with him!  They think they are being patriotic when in fact they are the antithesis of that! SIGH. It's what we live with under Trumprule NJ. Everything is a**-backwards, upside down, inside out and gibberish.  Woe is us! Be very glad you don't live here. It would drive
      October 22, 2017 2:12 AM MDT

I guess that I should care about this sort of thing, but I don't. I've gone without football for quite a long time. The fact is that I just don't care when it comes to these over-privileged POS. 
      October 21, 2017 9:28 AM MDT

It's not the sport that matters to me Zack. Here's the thing. American citizens are GUARANTEED the right to peacefully protest under the Constitution. The Donald John is supposed to defend the Constitution. He attacks the players for asserting a Constitutional Right..calls them SOB's..want the owners to fire them. Now how does that track with his sworn duties? Just my opinion. They are protesting INJUSTICE. Specifically they are protesting the deaths of unarmed black young men at the hands of cops who walk/are exonerated! Too many names of too many young men who were gunned down for being black. That's the issue here. Thank you for your reply and Happy Sunday! :)
      October 22, 2017 2:16 AM MDT