Active Now

Element 99
Malizz
Danilo_G
CosmicWunderkind
Randy D
my2cents
Discussion » Questions » Finance » Do regular folks own stocks or is it just the rich and famous? How rich do you have to be to partake in stock market jocularity?

Do regular folks own stocks or is it just the rich and famous? How rich do you have to be to partake in stock market jocularity?

Posted - October 18, 2017

Responses

Most people with a decent job have a  401k which has stocks.  

October 18, 2017 11:34 AM MDT

I'm not talking about that m2c. I'm talking about investing directly in stock through a stockbroker. Thank you for your reply and Happy Thursday. This post was edited by RosieG at October 19, 2017 2:58 AM MDT
      October 19, 2017 2:55 AM MDT

Well you said "own stocks". 

Most people I know use E-trade. Just to buy and sell.
      October 19, 2017 9:21 AM MDT

I'm an ordinary citizen and I own stock in various companies separate and apart from the funds in my 401(K) account.
      October 18, 2017 2:11 PM MDT

I owned stock ONCE UPON A TIME. Sad story. You're heard it before. It was supposedly a SURE THING. Well I invested $4000 which was a lot of money to me. Stock tanked and I took a tax writeoff and never invested in the stock market again. I don't have the temperament Spunky. I'm not a risk-taker. Thank you for your reply and Happy Thursday! :)
      October 19, 2017 2:57 AM MDT

Nothing is ever a sure thing, but I have what I call a play stock account.  Anyuthing I invest there is money I can afford to lose.  I buy things I think will appreciate in value and if they don't. Oh, well. :)
      October 19, 2017 9:13 AM MDT

I like to think I'm a regular person and I have government bonds and shares mainly in investment trusts. By and large individual stocks are too volatile. 
      October 18, 2017 4:57 PM MDT

I know there are various things in which to invest Malizz. I had one experience with owning stocks. Not a good one. Years ago a friend told me about some clinical trials having to do with rheumatoid arthritis meds. Supposedly the trials were in its 3rd stage and everything was going swimmingly. She invested in it full up. She just had that one stock. I think she worked for someone who was on the Board of  Directors of that company. I invested  $4000. Small potatoes but it was a lot of money to me. It was my "sure thing". Well you know the rest or can guess. It failed completely and the stock  tanked rapidly. I took the loss off my tax returns and never again invested in the stock market. I think she had something like 1600 shares. I recall having 400. I don't have the temperament to be in the stockmarket. Thank you for your reply and Happy Thursday m'dear! :)
      October 19, 2017 2:53 AM MDT

As the saying goes, if you can't afford to lose, don't bet. 
      October 19, 2017 3:06 AM MDT

Precisely. I play penny ante poker. Years ago when I'd go to Las Vegas with friends/family I had a $20 limit per day. Once I lost that much I stopped gambling for that day and just enjoyed watching others. I know my limitations and my temperament. I know what I can live with and what I can't. I never go outside those limits. Thank you for your reply Malizz.
      October 19, 2017 3:10 AM MDT

Buy a few, do well and keep going all your life.  That is what the sane do.

The rich can afford to play with higher stakes OF COURSE.  
      October 19, 2017 9:22 AM MDT

I'd NEVER ever buy stocks individually; just not for me......I have a mutual fund with a very broad diversification.......

but to each their own!! if you like stock-picking, keeping an eye on it, etc., then fine.

but it sure ain't for me! 

LOL

:-D
      August 30, 2018 8:33 AM MDT